Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Announces $549 Million Profit Excluding Special Items (Q2 10)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines Announces $549 Million Profit Excluding Special Items (Q2 10)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by N639DL
Round of applause to DL ^
Wow!!! Great job DL!!! Keep it up!!! Let's try to ordered more newest 777-200LR aircraft anytime soon. What about DL will acquisitions more MD90s will come online.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM: AA; Alaska; Southwest
DL Reports Biggest Profit in Decade

Delta Air Lines reported its biggest quarterly profit in a decade on Monday, but investors were concerned that Delta and the rest of the airline industry would repeat the mistakes that have jeopardized many past recoveries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/20/bu...r.html?_r=1&hp
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Geogirl1234
Investors were concerned that Delta and the rest of the airline industry would repeat the mistakes that have jeopardized many past recoveries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/20/bu...r.html?_r=1&hp
Do they mean paying their employees more and improving the hard & soft product?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by WBurcham
I think investors are more concerned about capacity expansion. I'm more concerned that they keep up the investments in employees, and hard & soft products.

Clearly the merger is working from a profit standpoint
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:54 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
That is great that there profits are going up now, especially in this rebounding economy. I wonder if they will keep going up as people travel more or if people will choose to fly more budget oriented airlines I.e. Southwest.

Delta747
Old Jul 20, 2010, 1:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
"Big Air" is killing us. How dare they swim in half a BILLION dollars in profit and have the nerve to charge $350 RT BOS-LAX! I have read here in this forum that it is "impossible" for an airline to make a profit on discount Y tickets....hmm, the "blend" must be working.
I assume this is sarcasm? If not, let's wait until they string together a few quarters of success before we get too excited. I mean, the sun shines on a dog's... and all that.

Still, you have to hand it to DL. To date, they have pretty much delivered on the financial benefits from the merger that they predicted.

Originally Posted by WBurcham
I think the concern is that DL, and the industry in general, will once again get themselves tangled up in a slew of commitments (labor contracts, capacity, debt) that leave them with no flexibility and little margin for error. I mean, a 10% increase in fuel costs would have nearly halved their profit for the quarter and pretty much erased the YTD profit. Considering that DL's average cost per gallon for fuel was 25% higher as recently as Q408 (and even higher in the quarters before that), anyone want to bet that it couldn't happen again?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Despite the financial report, DL's stock price is falling as of now this morning.

At first, I suspected that the "good news" was less than forecasts, but the report indicates that this is not the case.

My guess now is that the market expects other airlines to do even better in their reports to be released this week.
This has been expected to be a good quarter financially for many airlines with the year and years ahead better than in quite some time -- and the airline manufacturers are finding confirmation of that at the big airshow this week in the UK.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Delta747
That is great that there profits are going up now, especially in this rebounding economy. I wonder if they will keep going up as people travel more or if people will choose to fly more budget oriented airlines I.e. Southwest.

Delta747
The LCC's share of the domestic market in the US is no longer growing like it was in recent years, and the legacy carriers/majors have pretty much stabilized their hold on the market more recently.

Unless the likes of Southwest increase capacity tremendously, the supply growth leaders in the US -- going by plane manufacturers' sentiment -- are likely to be the legacy carriers.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:11 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by N639DL
Round of applause to DL ^
I am impressed, seriously. With neither a competent IT department nor a competitive FFP, Delta is raking in the dough. Who woulda thunk?

I guess the question is how long can this performance be sustained? DL must be an attractive target for other carriers who can easily best them in these two major areas of weakness.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Sabai
I am impressed, seriously. With neither a competent IT department nor a competitive FFP, Delta is raking in the dough. Who woulda thunk?
I think many would have thunk, particularly with regards to the FFP, since there is pretty much zero correlation between a "quality" FFP and profitability.

Originally Posted by Sabai
I guess the question is how long can this performance be sustained? DL must be an attractive target for other carriers who can easily best them in these two major areas of weakness.
The next US legacy carrier to become profitable by focusing on goosing the revenue numbers will be the first. DL's best hope of sustaining profitability will be aggressive cost control, and they seem to be doing okay in this regard.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I assume this is sarcasm? If not, let's wait until they string together a few quarters of success before we get too excited. I mean, the sun shines on a dog's... and all that.

Yes, sarcasm. A well run airline CAN make money on a blend of fares.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 9:32 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Clearly the merger is working from a profit standpoint
A rising tide lifts all ships, a single quarter's profit in a quarter where every legacy airline is expected to report their biggest quarterly profit in xx years hardly proves that the merger is working. The true test of the merger's success is not how well they do in the good times, but how well they do in the bad times.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: NW/DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by Beckles
A rising tide lifts all ships, a single quarter's profit in a quarter where every legacy airline is expected to report their biggest quarterly profit in xx years hardly proves that the merger is working. The true test of the merger's success is not how well they do in the good times, but how well they do in the bad times.
+1 ^

The key will be keeping cross-cycle profitability even if just at the operating level in the + category. 10% is indeed rather impressive for an airline but these are of course the 'good times'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.