Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyClub "Light" is being considered for smaller focus cities. What's most important?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyClub "Light" is being considered for smaller focus cities. What's most important?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by Stripe
1. Are there cities that DO have SkyClubs but have less traffic than the cities here?
Ask and ye shall receive - this covers all airports aside from major hubs/focus cities (defined as ATL, CVG, SLC, JFK, LGA, LAX, DTW, MSP, MEM):

I'll take a look at total capacity later tonight most likely.

Keep in mind some of these smaller cities do have international long-haul flights, including Honolulu, Portland, Newark and Seattle. The only city on the first list that had long-haul flights was a daily 757 at PIT and PHL.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; Hilton Diamond; National Exec
Originally Posted by mersk862
As a FYI, here is a list of some of the busiest airports where Delta does not have a SkyClub.

A couple of notes:
*PHL is included in this list (yes, I know we get access to the US club - but it's a haul from the DL gates, it's not as nice as a DSC and PHL used to have a real DSC)
*Flights are for the fall schedule (9/13 was the date used) - if a flight didn't operate on Monday, but did operate 3+ times/wk, I put it in there (eg BDL/CMH-LAX, etc.).
*Mainline is a plane operated by Delta (not Delta Connection); RJ w/F is a flight on a CRJ-700/900 or E-175; RJ/Prop is a CRJ-200, Saab 340, ERJ-145 or EMB-120
*IND is not included as Delta has announced plans for a SkyClub at this airport.

I'm surprised DEN is not on that list.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by ats262
I'm surprised DEN is not on that list.
Totally forgot about DEN somehow...let me add it in, as well as a column showing total number of daily seats (sorted by seats). Feel free to let me know if there are any other airports I missed, or that you just want to see.

Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM!
Originally Posted by mersk862
Totally forgot about DEN somehow...let me add it in, as well as a column showing total number of daily seats (sorted by seats). Feel free to let me know if there are any other airports I missed, or that you just want to see.

ah ha... OMA is barely hanging on there... mersk, thanks for your fascinating analysis. this is great info.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by WBurcham
IMHO:
1-10 - Agent(s) to handle issues
11 - Quiet space / area to work/relax in
12 - Liquor & other drinks
13 - "Food"
Those are the minimum standards already!! How indeed can it be stripped down to 'light' levels?!? Less seats?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelingsalesgal
ah ha... OMA is barely hanging on there... mersk, thanks for your fascinating analysis. this is great info.
Keep in mind that these stats include only hard data - seats/flights. It says nothing to other factors that would need to come into play with SkyClubs - such as how many Diamonds (free SC membership) are in a market, how many SC members are based there, how many fly through there, if there's a partner club how many swipes is DL being charged for at that club, how many originating BE passengers at that location, etc., not to mention taking in the real estate costs to operate that location. I'd tend to believe that Delta has all this data available to them (should be easily queriable for an analyst) and then allowing them to do the necessary cost-benefit analysis beyond the (extremely) high level data that I've been able to research as someone who's only affiliation to Delta is that I fly them a lot.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:04 pm

Location: Mokuleia Hi, Ventura Ca, and anywhere blue water moves over shallow reefs
Programs: DL Diamond, CO Platinum
Originally Posted by Stripe
It's an interesting concept, as there is a need for something like that in a number of cities where DL has a substantial schedule. I do wonder how they would "lighten" the current product to reduce its cost but still retain some value. The existing SCs aren't exactly lavish.
....and with them "worldclubbing" the remaining Skyclubs it's only going to get worse.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 5:52 am

Does anybody remember the "secret rooms"

Along time ago, there use to be "rooms" in smaller airports that we could acess. You would ask the counter if there was a world club. They would ask to see your card, and then give you a room number and access code.

You would go to the room number, use the code to unlock the door.

They were small comfortable room all with self serve bars.

That would be one idea.

i don't need an agent give me the toll free number and then I can hit a kiosk to get the new tickets.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:42 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by trjaremko
Along time ago, there use to be "rooms" in smaller airports that we could acess. You would ask the counter if there was a world club. They would ask to see your card, and then give you a room number and access code.

You would go to the room number, use the code to unlock the door.

They were small comfortable room all with self serve bars.

That would be one idea.

i don't need an agent give me the toll free number and then I can hit a kiosk to get the new tickets.
In this day and age, (what, with the internets and all) I think the only way this could work would be a pretty expensive solution...

They'd have to issue our SC cards with something akin to the RSA SecurID embedded into it. eBay has a cheap model as well, so perhaps it possible. (For those not familiar, every so often or when you press a button, a code is generated. This would then be entered into the door, and only valid for a few seconds.) Granted all the locks would have to be connected and online. It's possible, though.

Or they could have a BP scanner at the door that unlocks it.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:43 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Just realized we all missed what I would now have to make #1 on my list: properly operating heating and air conditioning. I don't care how nice a SC is ... if it is 10 degrees too warm I am outtathere.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, DL Diamond, Marriott Platinum
As a STL Delta user, a "sanctuary" would be welcome. A cold beer would be wonderful and an agent that can deal with issues would be mandatory in my opinion.

My expectations are low but I am hopeful.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:57 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by dd93003
....and with them "worldclubbing" the remaining Skyclubs it's only going to get worse.
As a person who has been going to both clubs for over 10 years, I always found the World Clubs to have more ameneties, I am only speaking abouut domestic clusbs
Old Jul 17, 2010, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by dd93003
Some people are never going to stop trying to stir up NW vs DL rancor.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:29 am

Location: Mokuleia Hi, Ventura Ca, and anywhere blue water moves over shallow reefs
Programs: DL Diamond, CO Platinum
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Some people are never going to stop trying to stir up NW vs DL rancor.
World Clubs always had a cafeteria feel. With the LAX Skyclub going in that direction it's obvious where Delta is taking this amenity. It has nothing to do with stirring up rancor. The other UA, CO, AA are moving in the other direction.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:01 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I think the club at HNL would be a good example of a "small footprint" type establishment that still provides the essentials and is relatively high touch. There are two agents at the desk, a small self-serve bar adjacent to the agents, a small TV room, a small non-TV room, a clean bathroom, and a small workstation area.

It's when you get into staffed bars, conference rooms, and more real estate that the costs spiral upward. One time expenses like a Wi-Fi system or a television are not a big deal in the cost equation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.