Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyClub "Light" is being considered for smaller focus cities. What's most important?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyClub "Light" is being considered for smaller focus cities. What's most important?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM / DM, Avis First, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
...but DL used to have a number of very nice, unstaffed Crown Rooms at airports like BWI, SDF, OKC(?).
OKC, yes. Also one in the old AUS Mueller airport, before the move to ABIA. Supposedly, DL was supposed to have one in the new a/p, but a DL exec came, took one look, and said "not good enough". CO now occupies the spot.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM!
There are a lot of valid points. As someone who flies to STL regularly, it would be nice to see some version of a SC there.

Now as for my home base, OMA, well.... I can only dream.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1M, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I would like to refine the request for a knowledgeable agent in the new concept SC, I would prefer a knowledgeable and empowered agent for assistance.

I second the idea of reopening the MCI Crown Area with this concept.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Free wi-fi if not provided by airport
I must say I would prefer SC provide its own wifi regardless of what the airport offers (where contractually possible...I know some airports have made issue of club wifi).

The MCO SC used to have T-Mobile for wifi and a couple of ethernet connections. Now the wireless signal is just what the airport offers and I'm pretty sure the modem in my laptop (I've never used) would provide a faster connection. The "free" wifi at MCO is too slow for me to do anything productive.

I don't think I've done a "contact us" on that yet. But I do try to snag a wired connection so I don't have to deal with it.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
14 - flat screen TV's tuned into CNN.

I *loathe* TVs in lounges. The constant noise from the TV destroys the whole purpose of a lounge, which is to have a quiet, relaxing place to wait for a flight.

TVs are only acceptable when they are in a separate, enclosed room so the noise doesn't bother those of us who actually want a quiet place to relax (you know, the whole point of a lounge). The SkyClub "lite" thing is probably too small to have separate rooms, so a huge thumbs down from me to the idea of putting a TV in it.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:34 pm

Seeing as I don't drink alcohol I don't care if the lounge doesn't have any

Snacks+Wifi are the most important things for me. I don't live in the US, so I can't just check a blackberry to check my email unless the airport has free wifi
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/Sky Club/Marriott Gold
If there is alcohol being served in a "Lite" club, the various state liquor laws would probably require that the venue be attended by an agent or server...
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I have written about this in other threads, but DL used to have a number of very nice, unstaffed Crown Rooms at airports like BWI, SDF, OKC(?).

They had push button combination locks on the doors. You had to get the combination from a DL gate agent.

Just reminiscing...
I'm pretty sure my friends were responsible for drinking the BHM club to closure.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:12 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
- Booze
- Power
- Wifi
- Enough seats

The order/priority of the above varies with day/time/mood.

TD

(p.s. not having a TV is a bonus. Seriously, if you've got wifi, what do you need/want a TV for??)
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I guess my vision of SC Lite is kind of like the smaller US Airways clubs - GSO / BDL. THey are small and intimate, but not still have an agent that doubles as a bar tender. Obviously, self service bars would be a better fit and a better use of resources, but not all local laws allow such.

SAN is also a good example, but even it is larger than some of the small US clubs. TV is optional, but still a nice touch. Free Wi-FI is a must.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: DL PM / MM, Nat'l EE
Originally Posted by travelingsalesgal
There are a lot of valid points. As someone who flies to STL regularly, it would be nice to see some version of a SC there.

Now as for my home base, OMA, well.... I can only dream.

Actually, I received a survey about a month ago about skyclub lite.. they were specifically asking about OMA... so it may not be that far fetched of a dream for us!!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:19 am

Some good suggestions in here (though I am concerned about "real" clubs being phased out for lite clubs).

Anyway, here's my list in order of priority for a "lite" Sky Club:

1) Ample seating. Doesn't have to be the size of a warehouse (and these smaller airport/smaller Delta traffic clubs won't see the number of people that the main airports do anyway) but enough seats to handle the normal load without everyone packed in like sardines/standing room only.

2) Free Wifi (whether airport or sky club provided)

3) Bathrooms.

4) I think you could get away with removing the bar, and have canned soda's, beers and little bottles of wine, or some sort of serving system. In these smaller, Lite clubs, I'd imagine you could have it by the attendant/agent/whatever staffing to comply with state liquor laws. While I like my mixed drinks and all that, I could accept the cut down to bottled beer/wine and free up the cost of a bartender.

5) Agent who can handle travel situations. They are handy, though if this head count is what would be the difference between a Lite club being in an airport, and no club at all? I'd be willing to make that sacrifice.

Feel free to dump the TV's.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: Delta DM!
Originally Posted by nebraskaboy
Actually, I received a survey about a month ago about skyclub lite.. they were specifically asking about OMA... so it may not be that far fetched of a dream for us!!
nebraskaboy, you just made my day times one million. let's see if it happens!!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
A realistic wishlist, in order of importance:

1. Skilled agent(s) as we have become accustomed to in the SkyClubs.
2. Toilets
3. Free Wi-fi
4. Self-serve bar (an easy way to reduce square footage and number of employees)
5. No food. Instead, allow outside food to be brought in.
6. A couple of workstation cubicles, if possible. Printer and fax machine.
7. If square footage is at a premium and occupancy becomes an issue, I'd rather see a SkyClub exist but only be open to full members and international BE pax than not to have one at all.

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
14 - flat screen TV's tuned into CNN.
You are kidding, right?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: DL Gold
What about...

Agent
Bathroom (if you think this is not important you are either a) not a woman or b) never travel with a wife or girlfiend)
Wifi
Power Outlets
Food*
Drinks*
Priority Security Line access, all clubs again (how else does a lowly FO avoid the long line)
*If it doesn't have food allow outside food and drinks.

Also want to cover the costs charge for access and stop giving it away like candy, but DL loves handing out the candy I mean SM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.