Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyClub "Light" is being considered for smaller focus cities. What's most important?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyClub "Light" is being considered for smaller focus cities. What's most important?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Agree with everybody... And we don't need conference rooms or meeting spaces.

It can be like the SAN club where the agents' counter and the seating area/bar is pretty much in the same room.

I am assuming the big difference between "Lite" and a regular SC is the lounge space, where DL will save a bunch on leases by utilizing smaller spaces.

So, I will venture to say the SAN lounge is the ideal "Lite" lounge if they remove the meeting rooms/conference rooms.
+1 - SAN is fantastic for a "small" SC. Remove the meeting rooms and you have slightly more space for seating. I'm indifferent to either full service or self-service bar as long as there is one (local laws permitting of course...).

1) live agent to help with issues
2) wifi
3) bar
4) clean restrooms
5) comfortable seating with ample power ports.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Hopefully the SkyClub "Light" rooms will be larger than the B10 SC.

As voiced by other posters, I do hope DL doesn't use the SkyClub "Light" version to set a new standard for ALL SCs.

1. Agent(s) staffed to assist w/any issue(s) according to flight schedules
2. Clean, separate, restrooms
3. Separate 'quiet' area
4. Power outlets (for those instances when the in-flight power doesn't work)
5. Beverages to include Woodford Reserve (in copious amounts)
6. Snacks (appropriate for time of day)
7. TV

While nice, I do not see a need for newspapers or magazines unless they are given, free of charge, to DL, nor conference rooms.

hockeystl - will you be posting a list of desired features weighted by responses?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
I think free liquor is the key benefit. How about coupons for free shooters in one of the airport lounges? Then they wouldn't need their own room, and probably could get the bar to pay for it as a promo, making it a profit center instead of a cost. SkyClub at Chili's, cobranded.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, SC, Marriott Plat
1. Agents to help during IROPS.
2. Comfortable seating
3. Self-serve bar.

Other stuff would be a plus. Not having TVs would be a plus.

I miss the SC in MCI. The room is still there above the DL gates, but I think they're using it for office space.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
- Agent
- Wifi
- Comfortable chairs
- Plenty of outlets (can't stress this one enough)

I'm ok with a cooler of canned beverages (as long as there's beer) and some light snacks as opposed to a bar.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
All of you who keep citing SAN as "light" clearly haven't spent much time in (the old) RDU or B17. For me, SAN is is a great club, period---friendly staff, reasonably sized for demand, and a nice tarmac view.

For me to pay for club membership, the minimum I'd need would be:

1) An efficient ticketing agent.
2) Comfy seats
3) Power plugs
4) Self serve beverages.

IMHO, there's no reason for a lounge that doesn't have 1). I am equally at home at another airline's lounge at that point. And even those few airports that lack a lounge from any alliance tend to be sufficiently quiet so that I can usually find some seating that can provide the remaining three (with the possible need to shell out a couple bucks for the drink).
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Access to the priority security lines at what ever airport they exist at. I dont care whats in the clubs but bring back this feature please
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:22 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Folks, let's think about the significant cost components of a SkyClub today:
**rent ("space") and utilities
**labor (agents, bar, etc.)
**consumables (food/drink)
**other (wifi, contract cleaning, etc.)

I reckon that real estate is the biggest cost today. And so what are you solving for with a "Lite" concept. My concern is that if you want to attack the cost structure, you need to take on less space. The biggest issue w/ most SCs today is that they are standing room only. If you are going to have a club, it needs to accommodate the traffic, and that means you can't compromise on space.

Overall... not sure a Lite concept solves the problem. And it does potentially damage the SC brand.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I'm in the club who thinks this is a good idea... as long as DL clearly marks the line between the "regular" SC and the "lite" SC, and subsequently does not water down the regular SC.

Smaller airports serve smaller traffic, so why need a "regular" SC with all the amenities? That's the purpose behind the "lite" concept, and hopefully the price will be "lite" as well.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by milesho
1. Agents to help during IROPS.
2. Comfortable seating
3. Self-serve bar.

Other stuff would be a plus. Not having TVs would be a plus.
^ I am using MKE as my visualization. You can't get away from the noise of the TV there. I would like to read a book without having to choose between the babbling of a talking head or hiding in the cube farm.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I have written about this in other threads, but DL used to have a number of very nice, unstaffed Crown Rooms at airports like BWI, SDF, OKC(?).

They had push button combination locks on the doors. You had to get the combination from a DL gate agent.

Just reminiscing...
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
An agent won't make the budget for these clubs. I'm thinking they should be self service all the way with combination locks on the doors. I shutter to think how dirty they'll be, though, since most people are complete slobs with public property.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
I'm sure everyone has got their airport wish-list for something like this. It seems besides STL, some kind of SC would make sense in:

LAS
PHX (bring something back, please)
BDL
How about DEN?

I would love to see something like this in SJC now that DL is in the new terminal. They could combine with AS and make a go of it.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: Delta Charter DM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Choice Privileges Diamond, Sky Club, Starbucks Charter Gold
For me the minimum:
* Quiet place to sit
* Wi Fi (depending on place and providor, the 3G reception in-club may not be steller)
* Comp beer/wine/etc as allowed
* Some snacks (maybe even just packaged / bagged ones)

I agree that dropping the meeting rooms would cut down on the footprint and make the lease a bit leaner. However, I don't like the idea of even considering a cash bar as comp beverages is one of the things that distinguish SC from some of the others and starting with cash bars in one place is a very slippery slope.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I'm hoping PIT would have one - if only because of the PIT-CDG flight and no current lounge offering to BizElite/Elite Plus customers on that flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.