Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Laptop left onboard; How to deal w/ Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Marriott Platinum SPG Gold National Emerald

Missed my Atl/SFO, got on next flight, but I lost 3C, had to sit in 44A. Miserable situation, distracted at landing by neighbor (8 yr old needing help) left my laptop in the seatback. Called Premium line when I realized it, was told to call local number of SFO baggage. Did so, no answer, had to leave message. No call back,so I called and left 2nd message. Nothing. Call Premium again, this time told to call system wide baggage line. I call, automated help line then routes me to a "lost article" web page. I fill out the form, notice the fine print that says I will be responded to ONLY if they locate item in next 7 days!!!
Questions;
How do I know they got the message if there is no response provided? I mean at least an email acknowledging the submission of the report.
Why didn't Premium line agents advise me of this web page?
Was I provided best possible service by original agent providing the local baggage phone at SFO ( I ask this sincerely ) ?
I'd like my laptop back, of course, but I accept responsibiliy for screwing up, and presume I've lost it.
I'm a bit put off though that I can't speak to anyone about it, being an "elite" customer.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
Was on ATL/SFO last march and I left some noise canceling head phones (Sony) in the seat back pocket (they were there because the head phone jack did not work sothere was nothign to listen to). Called almost immediately to report it got the same run around as OP and of course did not ever see those head phones again.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hawaiino
I'd like my laptop back, of course, but I accept responsibiliy for screwing up, and presume I've lost it.
I'm a bit put off though that I can't speak to anyone about it, being an "elite" customer.
As a DL Plat, I agree with you. If it were me, I would be contacting the desk again and explain the situation. If they can't give you a way to contact baggage claim, ask them to do it.

On a related note, I once left my AmEx on the plane [yeah, I do dumb things too]. Went to the SC where they contacted the gate, then called baggage claim to see if it was turned in (it wasn't). But it took them 2 calls to baggage claim because even they couldn't get anyone to answer the first time.

Hang in there and keep trying, though it is doubtful you will ever see the laptop again.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Did you purchase your tickets with an AMEX? I believe AMEX has some coverage (I found below for Delta Platinum AMEX)

Baggage Insurance Plan

When you purchase your Common Carrier ticket (plane, train, ship, helicopter, or bus) with the Card, the Baggage Insurance Plan13 provides coverage against loss or damage for up to $1,250 for carry-on baggage and up to $500 for checked baggage. The Baggage Insurance Plan is a fee-free feature of the Card.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:01 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
iPhone

Once an elite left his iPhone on the plane during a connection in SLC. Using the find the phone feature he was able to track it from the plane to a delta employee building and from there to the employee parking lot. A plane cleaning crew has got the phone now. So unless you can get this back before the plane is cleaned its probably gone.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:30 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond since inception
Last year I left my laptop on my NWA flight. I realized this about 20 minutes after leaving the airport. I called the NWA Platinum line - they put me on hold - called the gate - waited for the agent to go on the plane - told me to get a gate pass and go back to the gate - see agent Mrs. Smith and she has it for you.

That was a great experience for me. Calling the gate not baggage was I think the key for me thanks to the quick thinking NWA Platinum desk.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Angatg

I purchased with Amex Delta Reserve Platinum. I'll check with them
about coverage of my carryon, I'll see what the "fineprint" says.
As of this point still not a peep from Customer Service. What a shame. I'm definitly going to Status Match with Continental after this one. I'm PO'd about lack of service to leave DL (the slight irony is that this leg pushed me over Plat for the year, anticipated 6 months travel from now would easily make me a Diamond).
Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:44 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Angatg

I purchased with Amex Delta Reserve Platinum. I'll check with them
about coverage of my carryon, I'll see what the "fineprint" says.
As of this point still not a peep from Customer Service. What a shame. I'm definitly going to Status Match with Continental after this one. I'm PO'd about lack of service to leave DL (the slight irony is that this leg pushed me over Plat for the year, anticipated 6 months travel from now would easily make me a Diamond).
Sorry about the laptop. I feel your pain. A few years ago I left my bose nose canceling headphones on the plane and I never saw them again. But switching because of this? Over something that was 100% your fault?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:12 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
How about contacting the Station Manager for your airport?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:17 am

Programs: DL Platinum MM, Marriott Gold
Did your laptop contain passwords for your email or banking? You would want to change those passwords.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:24 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Good luck I feel your pain. A couple of years ago the wife and I were traveling to Punta Cana on an early am flight after a late late night and left a $750 set of custom molded in ear headphone monitors...never saw them again though they were virtually worthless to anyone but me.

Good luck. I hope you get the laptop back....
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ianturner
Sorry about the laptop. I feel your pain. A few years ago I left my bose nose canceling headphones on the plane and I never saw them again. But switching because of this? Over something that was 100% your fault?
Agreed that switching seems a bit over the top. In particular, do you have any assurance that CO would actually do better? At the end of the day, once you have left the airport, a lifetime has passed when it comes to retrieving a lost item, no matter who the carrier is.

FWIW, I have had 2 exceptional service incidents with DL involving lost items in the cabin. On one occasion, I left my electronics tote in the seatback (PSP, iPod, headphones, games). An FA found it, gave it to the gate agent and sought me out at baggage claim to tell me about it. On another occasion, I left some duty free items in the overhead. Again, an FA found it, but this time, she grabbed it and sought me out in the immigration hall to give it to me.

I had a similar incident with AA, where a ticket agent called back to the gate, the gate agent went onboard, found my missing mp3 player and ran back to the security exit to give it to me.

My wife, on the other hand, left her eReader on a CO flight, didn't notice it for a couple of days and it was nowhere to be found. FWIW, I don't think that it was CO vs DL or AA that made the difference, but the time elapsed.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:26 am
Original Poster

ianturner

yes, 100% my fault.

The subject of the post is more Delta's opaque and non- interactive policy on lost articles. The next level of concern is a lack of any deeper or broader actions / commnications for DL Elites.
My considerations to Status Match and transfer my business may be driven by some other factors as well. This action, if taken, will not be based on petulance over my mistake of misplacing my laptop.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Last year I left a little bag with an iPod and headphones in the seat. Realized it while waiting for the bags to come out. Went over to the baggage office, the nice Delta lady made a phone call, and 10 minutes later a rampie came out from behind the secret door and gave it back.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
The subject of the post is more Delta's opaque and non- interactive policy on lost articles. The next level of concern is a lack of any deeper or broader actions / commnications for DL Elites.
My considerations to Status Match and transfer my business may be driven by some other factors as well. This action, if taken, will not be based on petulance over my mistake of misplacing my laptop.
Well good luck dealing with 1-800-We-Dont-Care.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.