Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Luggage Lost on Delta/Air France Itinerary...Who Do I Contact?What Comp Can I Expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage Lost on Delta/Air France Itinerary...Who Do I Contact?What Comp Can I Expect?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2010, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Our luggage got lost on our Delta award itinerary which involved a flight from LGA to Boston on Delta, followed by flights on Air France to Paris and then to Ljubljana. They actually lost 2 pieces of luggage, a baby stroller, which was gate checked in Boston for a day and a half, and a suitcase, which was checked in NYC for 2 and a half days. I guess we had particularly bad luck....

We had to replace some articles of clothing, but we also had some food items in our cooler bag that went bad due to the extended lack of refrigeration. Who should I contact to complain? Does anyone have any idea what type of compensation they typically offer? We are Delta Silver Elite if that helps at all...
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If Air France is the last party that carried you, that's the party with whom you file your luggage claim. That is the industry convention.

No airline is responsible for perishable articles. Call it a learning experience.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta, United
It sounds as though your bags were delayed not lost. I would not expect anything except perhaps something for the clothing you had buy. Under the COC there are specific rules for the replacement.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:36 am

The carrier which brought you to your final destination is responsible. Confused about the stroller; if you gate checked it, you should have picked it up when you left the aircraft.

The EU has very specific rules about this so I would check with the EU website (goodle EU, compensation, airline).

Sounds like Air France is on the hook. Be prepared for LONG wait times, rude customer service, et cetera. They are notorious; helps if you speak French well. In Ljubljana they may have outsourced the luggage service so you might actually get better service from locals.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Against our protests, they took our stroller away from us when we boarded in Boston, and rather than returning it to us in Paris, they said it would be available for us when we arrived in Ljubljana with our checked luggage. Needless to say, we weren't excited to navigate De Gaulle after a redeye without our stroller.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: DL DM,MM; AS; USeless Air, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Gold
If it was AF expect NOTHING -- I had 2 bags delayed for 3 days from CDG to DTW and got NOTHING.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold
Like others have said, don't expect much. I once got a 25 EUR certificate from KL for a delayed bag. Was never able to use it.

And AF's "gate checking" of strollers, etc. is pretty ridiculous. We were once flying ATL-CDG-NUE and the stroller we checked planeside in ATL supposedly had to be checked through all the way. Needless to say, it got lost and if there's anywhere where a stroller would have been helpful with a small child, it's CDG.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:45 am

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)
Originally Posted by twohundredfifty
Like others have said, don't expect much. I once got a 25 EUR certificate from KL for a delayed bag. Was never able to use it.
In the old pm days I got few of those from KLM. I used to send them to NW requesting NWA e-certificates voucher discount from future travel. That procedure worked flawlessly for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.