Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL paid ground transfer experience JFK to LGA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL paid ground transfer experience JFK to LGA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You caught the current rule. MichaelKade may have been relying on the OP's citation from two years ago.
It's the little things...
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by rwoman
It's the little things...
Doh.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:55 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
I've used this free ground transfer twice this past month and I gotta say it's a great amenity.

Mid-May: DL dom > DL intl, LGA-JFK
Today: DL dom > KL intl, LGA-JFK

It's all pretty painless:
- Visit the DL baggage office on the lower level at LGA
- Show dom boarding pass to agent
- Agent calls car service
- Agent gives you a voucher and tells you to wait outside
- Driver arrives within 2-3 mins and calls your cell to establish contact
- Drive to JFK in comfort

This afternoon (Saturday), there was no wait at the baggage office, the agent knew exactly what I was asking for, and the car/driver showed up within a few minutes. I think it's a car service, not a taxi - today, it was a black Prius with uniformed driver. You do not wait in the regular LGA taxi line with your DL voucher.

Both times, the dom+intl sectors were ticketed on one PNR.
This is a very helpful post. Can someone update how this works now for JFK-LGA especially with the post-immigration DM M&G?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by vatraveler
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Does the voucher cover a tip for the driver?
I would assume it does not as that is usually at the discretion of the person using the service.
Then I wouldn't technically consider it a free service.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
http://images.delta.com.edgesuite.ne...of_Service.pdf

Based on this, no - See the last sentence of [C](1).
Thank you. That's what I had surmised.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by vatraveler

Then I wouldn't technically consider it a free service.
Let's make this simple:

1. This is a well-known (on FT) benefit of the COC. It's simple and works well if you follow the rules. The people who know about it, namely the baggage office, can handle this in no time flat.

2. People report variously having been given vouchers for car services, taxis and the bus. There doesn't seem to be a particularized distinction, but I bet it doesn't happen to paid premium pax.

3. If you get a bus voucher, ask for a car. If they won't, call ELITE or DIAL7 and a car will appear in 5 or fewer mins.

4. No, a tip is not included. It never is. When you get a hotel voucher, you still tip the shuttle driver, doorman, etc. When you get a meal voucher, the waiter still gets a tip. Tips are never mandatory, but most people who can afford an intl. air ticket, can afford a couple of bucks.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Thoughts on whether the benefit is available if sectors are not on the same PNR? I booked an ATL-LGA ticket, connecting to a separate JFK-Europe ticket because it was $250 cheaper than ATL-JFK. Obviously, I can book a car service myself. But curious if the benefit applies, or if the agents at LGA are unlikely to verify whether it's the same PNR.
My experiences from a couple of months ago were for itins booked a single PNR. The agent at LGA baggage claim verified that I was eligible for the DL-paid ground transfer. I expect you would have 0% chance of success getting the paid transfer just by showing them an ex-JFK boarding pass booked on a different PNR.

I would assume it does not as that is usually at the discretion of the person using the service.
Correct. The DL voucher was for fare only. I tipped the driver.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Flying IAH-LGA on DL then JFK-FCO on AZ --- all on same PNR (and ticketed together). Will Delta automatically transfer my checked luggage, too?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by JAGMAP
Flying IAH-LGA on DL then JFK-FCO on AZ --- all on same PNR (and ticketed together). Will Delta automatically transfer my checked luggage, too?
No, you'll have to collect it from the LGA carousel and manually transfer it to JFK for rechecking.

Or was this a trick question?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No. As others note, the transfer if you qualify (check the COC for your specific situation) is simply paid. It says nothing about checked luggage. Thus, you will claim your luggage at LGA, cart it out to the car and then into bag check at JDK.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
No. As others note, the transfer if you qualify (check the COC for your specific situation) is simply paid. It says nothing about checked luggage. Thus, you will claim your luggage at LGA, cart it out to the car and then into bag check at JDK.
Wow okay, glad I asked about the luggage. Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying to ATL next week, it's about $50 cheaper to fly LHR-JFK-EWR-ATL than just via JFK...might try this out!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:20 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Anyone know if an AF coded DL operated ticketed on 006 would qualify? And is a 4:50 connection between JFK and EWR doable?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTT
Anyone know if an AF coded DL operated ticketed on 006 would qualify? And is a 4:50 connection between JFK and EWR doable?
Not sure about the 006 ticket stock - 4:50 should be doable between JFK and EWR, although it depends on time of day/traffic.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:07 pm

Not sure about the 006 ticket stock - 4:50 should be doable between JFK and EWR, although it depends on time of day/traffic.
Unknown if your connecting flight is to an international destination, or whether you will have lots of checked luggage, you have unusual visa issues or are arriving during a busy time of day.

But even if the inbound flight is an hour late, and assuming no major delays at immigration/baggage, it should be do-able if no unusual traffic delays. Assuming that you'll be checked in at flight origin to your destination.

Without traffic, assume it takes 1 hour JFK to EWR via the Belt Parkway, Verazzano Narrows Bridge, Staten Island Expressway and NJ Turnpike.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.