Double/Triple SkyMiles with AmEx

Old Jun 28, 10, 4:24 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MCO
Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,082
Double/Triple SkyMiles with AmEx

Use 10K of your SkyMiles, get double miles on spending (triple for Delta spending) with AmEx card. Good through 9/30/10. As always, read the T&C very carefully....

http://deltabounceback.com/
Sez_Who is offline  
Old Jun 28, 10, 4:49 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Seat 1A or 59B
Posts: 559
Anyone seen a maximum number of miles earned? Nothing on the postcard or website. Phone support, as usual, was clueless. I figure since they haven't mentioned it its likely something low like 5 or 10k max.
TimCLE is offline  
Old Jun 28, 10, 5:42 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Orleans (for now)
Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Posts: 1,629
Originally Posted by TimCLE View Post
Anyone seen a maximum number of miles earned? Nothing on the postcard or website. Phone support, as usual, was clueless. I figure since they haven't mentioned it its likely something low like 5 or 10k max.
I didn't see a limit either so I would think there isn't one. Be careful of the start date, not until July 1. Naturally, I just burned a total of 270k miles from 2 accounts. Blehhhh.
Marylou is offline  
Old Jun 28, 10, 6:35 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ATL, BER
Programs: AA LTGLD, DL PLT, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 474
Originally Posted by Marylou View Post
I didn't see a limit either so I would think there isn't one. Be careful of the start date, not until July 1. Naturally, I just burned a total of 270k miles from 2 accounts. Blehhhh.
can't you redeposit them and then rebook (assuming availability)?
dukieee is offline  
Old Jun 28, 10, 6:55 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: DL Plat AA Gold Airtran Elite HH Diamond Marriott Plat *Wood Plat
Posts: 242
on that note, nothing says you have to fly the redeemed ticket. T&C's don't say anywhere that I can't redeem a ticket july 1, redeposit the miles july 2 (for free as a PM), and earn 2x/3x miles.

it is also vague regarding when you have to redeem vs. for what period you earn 2x miles. if i redeem today do i get 2x on spend from Jul 1 to sept 30?

"Double miles offer is valid from 07/01/10 to 09/30/10 ("Promotion Period"). Enrollment and qualification for this offer requires a minimum redemption of 10,000 miles through
one or a combination of Delta channels from the Primary Cardmember's SkyMiles® account. The double miles offer will be applied to the total number of dollars of eligible
spend during the Promotion Period."

As usual, i'm sure we'll see revised T&C's once the brilliant minds in DL promotions (or their subcontractor) figure it out. they sure did come up with many useful examples in chart form of how to multiply by 2 or 3 didn't they. don't worry, i took a screen shot.
gte157q is offline  
Old Jun 28, 10, 7:14 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 671
It's nice if someone plans on doing a mileage run on Delta. Then again, it's hard to redeem low Delta award tickets for international flights. You have to overpay with medium or high.
rtraveler is offline  
Old Jun 28, 10, 8:48 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CMH
Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Posts: 195
Originally Posted by gte157q View Post
on that note, nothing says you have to fly the redeemed ticket. T&C's don't say anywhere that I can't redeem a ticket july 1, redeposit the miles july 2 (for free as a PM), and earn 2x/3x miles.

it is also vague regarding when you have to redeem vs. for what period you earn 2x miles. if i redeem today do i get 2x on spend from Jul 1 to sept 30?

"Double miles offer is valid from 07/01/10 to 09/30/10 ("Promotion Period"). Enrollment and qualification for this offer requires a minimum redemption of 10,000 miles through
one or a combination of Delta channels from the Primary Cardmember's SkyMiles® account. The double miles offer will be applied to the total number of dollars of eligible
spend during the Promotion Period."

As usual, i'm sure we'll see revised T&C's once the brilliant minds in DL promotions (or their subcontractor) figure it out. they sure did come up with many useful examples in chart form of how to multiply by 2 or 3 didn't they. don't worry, i took a screen shot.
Agreed. Doesnot mention anywhere that redemption ahs to be done during the promotion period. I just redeemed one domestic award ticket last week. Hopefully I will still qualify.
Delta2010 is offline  
Old Jun 28, 10, 9:08 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: New York City
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,969
Originally Posted by gte157q View Post
on that note, nothing says you have to fly the redeemed ticket. T&C's don't say anywhere that I can't redeem a ticket july 1, redeposit the miles july 2 (for free as a PM), and earn 2x/3x miles. .
DL is lame but not this stupid. From the T&Cs:

"Promotion is void if qualifying mileage redemption is re-deposited into SkyMiles account"
mizzou miles is offline  
Old Jun 28, 10, 9:59 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Programs: DL MM & DM; Marriott, AmEx, Chase, Cap1
Posts: 769
I can register for this promotion multiple times with the same SM number. Normally it says that I've already registered, but no such message this time. How can I tell if I'm really registered? Or do I need to register after the start of the promotion period?
safigan is offline  
Old Jun 28, 10, 10:26 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BNA (but WAS native)
Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, HH/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 23,816
Does someone have the link from directly an AmEx or Delta webpage? I'm reticent to register for promotions until I have an idea of the validity.
icurhere2 is offline  
Old Jun 28, 10, 10:42 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: New York City
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,969
Originally Posted by icurhere2 View Post
Does someone have the link from directly an AmEx or Delta webpage? I'm reticent to register for promotions until I have an idea of the validity.
It only asks for your Skymiles number - not very interesting. And printed up on boarding passes (and left in trash, seat pockets etc) the world over...
mizzou miles is offline  
Old Jun 29, 10, 11:13 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: DL Plat AA Gold Airtran Elite HH Diamond Marriott Plat *Wood Plat
Posts: 242
Originally Posted by mizzou miles View Post
DL is lame but not this stupid. From the T&Cs:

"Promotion is void if qualifying mileage redemption is re-deposited into SkyMiles account"
good catch, i missed that somehow
gte157q is offline  
Old Jun 29, 10, 11:57 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,835
Thanks for the heads up.
El Boocho is offline  
Old Jun 29, 10, 12:12 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Posts: 2,557
If you will spend at least $10,001 on the DL Amex during the 3 months, or $5,001 in Delta airfares, you can profit by donating 10,000 Skymiles to a charity. This may offer a better return than trying to book an award flight you otherwise wouldn't.

Other ways to get a better return on the 10,000 Skymiles, depending on your circumstances:

1. Pay the new member fee for a Sky Club membership: 10,000 miles. Don't know whether a new member fee applies to the $90 30 day membership, but if it does, this could be a good value if you don't want to spring for a full year.

2. $10,000 of DL tickets using Pay With Miles. Can't really see how this could be a good value. It could be a way to limit the qualifying Skymiles investment
to 10,000, but I'd think in this case even a donation to Charity would be better, because then you could buy hte tickets with cash and get 20,000 bonus Skymiles in the promotion, plus you'd earn miles and MQMs on the flights.

3. Skymiles Auction. Doubt you'd find good value there, but who knows? But I think most or all of the auctions start at more than 10,000 Skymiles.

4. Skymiles Marketplace: Some good options here. Not many of these things are great values at $0.01 per Skymile, but factoring in the bonus miles you'll earn from the promotion, the calculus can get more interesting. The variety of items increases the chance you'll find something you can actually use, and the availability of lower-priced items allows you to combine purchases to meet the 10k threshold, or to combine a Marketplace purchase with a Miles for Magazines/Newspapers purchase.

5. Magazines/Newspapers for Miles: 500 miles to 3200 miles (Economist) per subscription. The Economist subsciption is a decent value. Wall Street Journal is 1389 miles (M-F, 39 weeks). I think the newspaper offers depend on your zip code, so you may be offered a local paper if you live in the right place.

6. "Bringing You to Broadway": 3 Bway shows available for ticket purchase using Skymiles, currently . Price is 16,500 to 17,800 Skymiles, so it won't keep your investment to just 10k miles, but it you want to see Billy Elliott, Avenue Q, or American Idiot, it could still be a viable option.

Other ideas?

Last edited by Helena Handbaskets; Jun 29, 10 at 12:25 pm
Helena Handbaskets is offline  
Old Jun 29, 10, 12:27 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ATL
Programs: DL PM Reserve
Posts: 565
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets View Post
If you will spend at least $10,001 on the DL Amex during the 3 months, or $5,001 in Delta airfares, you can profit by donating 10,000 Skymiles to a charity. This may offer a better return than trying to book an award flight you otherwise wouldn't.

Other ways to get a better return on the 10,000 Skymiles, depending on your circumstances:

1. Pay the new member fee for a Sky Club membership: 10,000 miles. Don't know whether a new member fee applies to the $90 30 day membership, but if it does, this could be a good value if you don't want to spring for a full year.

2. $10,000 of DL tickets using Pay With Miles. Can't really see how this could be a good value. It could be a way to limit the qualifying Skymiles investment
to 10,000, but I'd think in this case even a donation to Charity would be better, because then you could buy hte tickets with cash and get 20,000 bonus Skymiles in the promotion, plus you'd earn miles and MQMs on the flights.

3. Skymiles Auction. Doubt you'd find good value there, but who knows? But I think most or all of the auctions start at more than 10,000 Skymiles.

4. Skymiles Marketplace: Some good options here. Not many of these things are great values at $0.01 per Skymile, but factoring in the bonus miles you'll earn from the promotion, the calculus can get more interesting. The variety of items increases the chance you'll find something you can actually use, and the availability of lower-priced items allows you to combine purchases to meet the 10k threshold, or to combine a Marketplace purchase with a Miles for Magazines/Newspapers purchase.

5. Magazines/Newspapers for Miles: 500 miles to 3200 miles (Economist) per subscription. The Economist subsciption is a decent value. Wall Street Journal is 1389 miles (M-F, 39 weeks). I think the newspaper offers depend on your zip code, so you may be offered a local paper if you live in the right place.

6. "Bringing You to Broadway": 3 Bway shows available for ticket purchase using Skymiles, currently . Price is 16,500 to 17,800 Skymiles, so it won't keep your investment to just 10k miles, but it you want to see Billy Elliott, Avenue Q, or American Idiot, it could still be a viable option.

Other ideas?
For #2, I think you mean $100 worth of pay with miles ticket value redeemed (it's one of the examples)
ATL787 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread