Wiki Posts
Search

Double/Triple SkyMiles with AmEx

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Double/Triple SkyMiles with AmEx

Use 10K of your SkyMiles, get double miles on spending (triple for Delta spending) with AmEx card. Good through 9/30/10. As always, read the T&C very carefully....

http://deltabounceback.com/
Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:49 pm

Anyone seen a maximum number of miles earned? Nothing on the postcard or website. Phone support, as usual, was clueless. I figure since they haven't mentioned it its likely something low like 5 or 10k max.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Originally Posted by TimCLE
Anyone seen a maximum number of miles earned? Nothing on the postcard or website. Phone support, as usual, was clueless. I figure since they haven't mentioned it its likely something low like 5 or 10k max.
I didn't see a limit either so I would think there isn't one. Be careful of the start date, not until July 1. Naturally, I just burned a total of 270k miles from 2 accounts. Blehhhh.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA LTGLD, DL PLT, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Marylou
I didn't see a limit either so I would think there isn't one. Be careful of the start date, not until July 1. Naturally, I just burned a total of 270k miles from 2 accounts. Blehhhh.
can't you redeposit them and then rebook (assuming availability)?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL Plat AA Gold Airtran Elite HH Diamond Marriott Plat *Wood Plat
on that note, nothing says you have to fly the redeemed ticket. T&C's don't say anywhere that I can't redeem a ticket july 1, redeposit the miles july 2 (for free as a PM), and earn 2x/3x miles.

it is also vague regarding when you have to redeem vs. for what period you earn 2x miles. if i redeem today do i get 2x on spend from Jul 1 to sept 30?

"Double miles offer is valid from 07/01/10 to 09/30/10 ("Promotion Period"). Enrollment and qualification for this offer requires a minimum redemption of 10,000 miles through
one or a combination of Delta channels from the Primary Cardmember's SkyMiles® account. The double miles offer will be applied to the total number of dollars of eligible
spend during the Promotion Period."

As usual, i'm sure we'll see revised T&C's once the brilliant minds in DL promotions (or their subcontractor) figure it out. they sure did come up with many useful examples in chart form of how to multiply by 2 or 3 didn't they. don't worry, i took a screen shot.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 6:14 pm

It's nice if someone plans on doing a mileage run on Delta. Then again, it's hard to redeem low Delta award tickets for international flights. You have to overpay with medium or high.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Originally Posted by gte157q
on that note, nothing says you have to fly the redeemed ticket. T&C's don't say anywhere that I can't redeem a ticket july 1, redeposit the miles july 2 (for free as a PM), and earn 2x/3x miles.

it is also vague regarding when you have to redeem vs. for what period you earn 2x miles. if i redeem today do i get 2x on spend from Jul 1 to sept 30?

"Double miles offer is valid from 07/01/10 to 09/30/10 ("Promotion Period"). Enrollment and qualification for this offer requires a minimum redemption of 10,000 miles through
one or a combination of Delta channels from the Primary Cardmember's SkyMiles® account. The double miles offer will be applied to the total number of dollars of eligible
spend during the Promotion Period."

As usual, i'm sure we'll see revised T&C's once the brilliant minds in DL promotions (or their subcontractor) figure it out. they sure did come up with many useful examples in chart form of how to multiply by 2 or 3 didn't they. don't worry, i took a screen shot.
Agreed. Doesnot mention anywhere that redemption ahs to be done during the promotion period. I just redeemed one domestic award ticket last week. Hopefully I will still qualify.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gte157q
on that note, nothing says you have to fly the redeemed ticket. T&C's don't say anywhere that I can't redeem a ticket july 1, redeposit the miles july 2 (for free as a PM), and earn 2x/3x miles. .
DL is lame but not this stupid. From the T&Cs:

"Promotion is void if qualifying mileage redemption is re-deposited into SkyMiles account"
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I can register for this promotion multiple times with the same SM number. Normally it says that I've already registered, but no such message this time. How can I tell if I'm really registered? Or do I need to register after the start of the promotion period?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Does someone have the link from directly an AmEx or Delta webpage? I'm reticent to register for promotions until I have an idea of the validity.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by icurhere2
Does someone have the link from directly an AmEx or Delta webpage? I'm reticent to register for promotions until I have an idea of the validity.
It only asks for your Skymiles number - not very interesting. And printed up on boarding passes (and left in trash, seat pockets etc) the world over...
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Plat AA Gold Airtran Elite HH Diamond Marriott Plat *Wood Plat
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
DL is lame but not this stupid. From the T&Cs:

"Promotion is void if qualifying mileage redemption is re-deposited into SkyMiles account"
good catch, i missed that somehow
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:57 am

^Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:12 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
If you will spend at least $10,001 on the DL Amex during the 3 months, or $5,001 in Delta airfares, you can profit by donating 10,000 Skymiles to a charity. This may offer a better return than trying to book an award flight you otherwise wouldn't.

Other ways to get a better return on the 10,000 Skymiles, depending on your circumstances:

1. Pay the new member fee for a Sky Club membership: 10,000 miles. Don't know whether a new member fee applies to the $90 30 day membership, but if it does, this could be a good value if you don't want to spring for a full year.

2. $10,000 of DL tickets using Pay With Miles. Can't really see how this could be a good value. It could be a way to limit the qualifying Skymiles investment
to 10,000, but I'd think in this case even a donation to Charity would be better, because then you could buy hte tickets with cash and get 20,000 bonus Skymiles in the promotion, plus you'd earn miles and MQMs on the flights.

3. Skymiles Auction. Doubt you'd find good value there, but who knows? But I think most or all of the auctions start at more than 10,000 Skymiles.

4. Skymiles Marketplace: Some good options here. Not many of these things are great values at $0.01 per Skymile, but factoring in the bonus miles you'll earn from the promotion, the calculus can get more interesting. The variety of items increases the chance you'll find something you can actually use, and the availability of lower-priced items allows you to combine purchases to meet the 10k threshold, or to combine a Marketplace purchase with a Miles for Magazines/Newspapers purchase.

5. Magazines/Newspapers for Miles: 500 miles to 3200 miles (Economist) per subscription. The Economist subsciption is a decent value. Wall Street Journal is 1389 miles (M-F, 39 weeks). I think the newspaper offers depend on your zip code, so you may be offered a local paper if you live in the right place.

6. "Bringing You to Broadway": 3 Bway shows available for ticket purchase using Skymiles, currently . Price is 16,500 to 17,800 Skymiles, so it won't keep your investment to just 10k miles, but it you want to see Billy Elliott, Avenue Q, or American Idiot, it could still be a viable option.

Other ideas?

Last edited by Helena Handbaskets; Jun 29, 2010 at 11:25 am
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
If you will spend at least $10,001 on the DL Amex during the 3 months, or $5,001 in Delta airfares, you can profit by donating 10,000 Skymiles to a charity. This may offer a better return than trying to book an award flight you otherwise wouldn't.

Other ways to get a better return on the 10,000 Skymiles, depending on your circumstances:

1. Pay the new member fee for a Sky Club membership: 10,000 miles. Don't know whether a new member fee applies to the $90 30 day membership, but if it does, this could be a good value if you don't want to spring for a full year.

2. $10,000 of DL tickets using Pay With Miles. Can't really see how this could be a good value. It could be a way to limit the qualifying Skymiles investment
to 10,000, but I'd think in this case even a donation to Charity would be better, because then you could buy hte tickets with cash and get 20,000 bonus Skymiles in the promotion, plus you'd earn miles and MQMs on the flights.

3. Skymiles Auction. Doubt you'd find good value there, but who knows? But I think most or all of the auctions start at more than 10,000 Skymiles.

4. Skymiles Marketplace: Some good options here. Not many of these things are great values at $0.01 per Skymile, but factoring in the bonus miles you'll earn from the promotion, the calculus can get more interesting. The variety of items increases the chance you'll find something you can actually use, and the availability of lower-priced items allows you to combine purchases to meet the 10k threshold, or to combine a Marketplace purchase with a Miles for Magazines/Newspapers purchase.

5. Magazines/Newspapers for Miles: 500 miles to 3200 miles (Economist) per subscription. The Economist subsciption is a decent value. Wall Street Journal is 1389 miles (M-F, 39 weeks). I think the newspaper offers depend on your zip code, so you may be offered a local paper if you live in the right place.

6. "Bringing You to Broadway": 3 Bway shows available for ticket purchase using Skymiles, currently . Price is 16,500 to 17,800 Skymiles, so it won't keep your investment to just 10k miles, but it you want to see Billy Elliott, Avenue Q, or American Idiot, it could still be a viable option.

Other ideas?
For #2, I think you mean $100 worth of pay with miles ticket value redeemed (it's one of the examples)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.