B fare much lower than K?

Old Jun 22, 10, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA
B fare much lower than K?

I've been watching fares for over a month on a New York-Florida city pair around Thanksgiving for 5 family members. Delta was pricing out higher than other carriers at near $500 RT. Then this morning I noticed that Delta was pricing at $222+ RT on virtually all of their flights those days, so I jumped on it. When I went to select seats for my no-status relatives, it allowed me to select the preferred seats. I looked at the receipt, and I noticed it's a B-fare (which I assume is why I can select the preferred seats). Now the strage thing to me, is that the lowest-level fare bucket was K, and was still pricing out at nearly $500.

Why would B-fares be less than half the price of K-fares? Could it be a mistake?

Is a B-fare refundable in all situations?

Thanks.
Old Jun 22, 10, 11:45 am

Programs: DL Platinum 1MM, Hilton HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I've been checking the TGiving fares for months going to either PBI or FLL from PWM, MHT or BOS and they're ridiculously high...especially on DL. No LUT fares in sight and I'm looking for the off days....frustrating especially since the flights are wide open.
Old Jun 22, 10, 11:47 am

Programs: UA General Member, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CEUflyer View Post
I've been watching fares for over a month on a New York-Florida city pair around Thanksgiving for 5 family members. Delta was pricing out higher than other carriers at near $500 RT. Then this morning I noticed that Delta was pricing at $222+ RT on virtually all of their flights those days, so I jumped on it. When I went to select seats for my no-status relatives, it allowed me to select the preferred seats. I looked at the receipt, and I noticed it's a B-fare (which I assume is why I can select the preferred seats). Now the strage thing to me, is that the lowest-level fare bucket was K, and was still pricing out at nearly $500.

Why would B-fares be less than half the price of K-fares? Could it be a mistake?

Is a B-fare refundable in all situations?

Thanks.
It is only refundable if it says refundable... It is an option you usually have to select, though I know Y fares are almost always refundable. Though since it is a family vacation, I would assume you will probably not be cancelling your reservation.

Last edited by tyler.jenkins; Jun 22, 10 at 11:47 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jun 22, 10, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Yep, it's the rules for that specific fare that determine whether or not the ticket is refundable, not the fare class. Have to check the rules.

Fares don't always go in order of Y/B/M/H/Q/K/L/U/T. It's relatively common to find, for instance, an L fare priced lower than a U fare because of the number of fares published. It happens more with the lower fare classes because there are so many of them; there are usually fewer fares published for a given fare class once you start climbing the ladder, so I'm surprised at your find, especially coupled with the fact that your B fare is just above $200. The price of the B fare itself is the surprise, not so much that it's lower than the K fares.
Old Jun 22, 10, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Fares don't always go in order of Y/B/M/H/Q/K/L/U/T. It's relatively common to find, for instance, an L fare priced lower than a U fare because of the number of fares published. It happens more with the lower fare classes because there are so many of them; there are usually fewer fares published for a given fare class once you start climbing the ladder, so I'm surprised at your find, especially coupled with the fact that your B fare is just above $200. The price of the B fare itself is the surprise, not so much that it's lower than the K fares.
I have seen relatively few instances of higher-level fare classes being slightly cheaper than the next class down (i.e. L is $20 cheaper than U), but I've never seen anything of this magnitude in price and separation in fare class.

This morning, delta.com was showing almost all $222+ B-fares, with a few much higher K-fares listed. Shortly after noon, the cheap B-fares disappeared completely, and now the fares again appear to be priced in order of fare-bucket, but the lowest T-fares are $478+. Iím glad I saw those B-fares for the few hours they were around.

I am curious if this was some sort of IT screw-up.
Old Jun 22, 10, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mickeyhaas View Post
I've been checking the TGiving fares for months going to either PBI or FLL from PWM, MHT or BOS and they're ridiculously high...especially on DL. No LUT fares in sight and I'm looking for the off days....frustrating especially since the flights are wide open.
Delta is infamous for pricing their seats above market many months out in the hope that some people buy high...then they start lowering their fares about 45-60 days before departure. Especially for holidays like Thanskgiving. I would not buy now especially since flights are wide open like you said........wait for it....
Old Jun 22, 10, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
There have been wide jumps in fares over this past weekend to early week.

Last week and all through the weekend I was watching A fares MSY-ATL going for $1200 to 1500. I tried random dates for next 3 months, all over 1200. Then in a matter of hours they went to 700 +.

Last month the same thing happened MSY-ATL-PNS. I ran it out through November and got the same thing. Then they dropped back down by half. Wonder what that's all about.
Old Jun 22, 10, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by CEUflyer View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I have seen relatively few instances of higher-level fare classes being slightly cheaper than the next class down (i.e. L is $20 cheaper than U), but I've never seen anything of this magnitude in price and separation in fare class.

This morning, delta.com was showing almost all $222+ B-fares, with a few much higher K-fares listed. Shortly after noon, the cheap B-fares disappeared completely, and now the fares again appear to be priced in order of fare-bucket, but the lowest T-fares are $478+. Iím glad I saw those B-fares for the few hours they were around.

I am curious if this was some sort of IT screw-up.
Probably not.... Just do make sure that you read all of the conditions & Restrictions on the B tickets in case something comes up and you do need to make changes... I got one last year that was fantastic on a TPA - LHR trip, but the only problem was that I had to cancel the trip... I was able to get the ticket re-issued, but the fee was $400 and I had to do the exact same route but they did say that I can do TPA to LGW as opposed to TPA-LHR but that was the only exception...
Old Jun 22, 10, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Enjoy the 50% MQM bonus for Y/B/M fares. A Silver headed to Florida at Thanksgiving probably doesn't have muh chance of an upgrade, be it B or K fare, anyway, and leaving the family in the back is ... a personal decision.
Old Jun 22, 10, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Enjoy the 50% MQM bonus for Y/B/M fares. A Silver headed to Florida at Thanksgiving probably doesn't have muh chance of an upgrade, be it B or K fare, anyway, and leaving the family in the back is ... a personal decision.
I am not flying on this itin. The tickets were for no-status family members, so no upgrades. And they could care less about the 50% MQM bonus. Since I paid for the tickets, I am just happy to have saved the money.

Today, delta.com is all over the place on inventory on this particular route near Thansgiving. Lots of major swings in prices since the cheap B-fares went away.
Old Jun 22, 10, 2:43 pm

wait B fares... what route? If you don't want to share publicly, I'd love to know.
Old Jun 22, 10, 4:44 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
I have seen some fares that are not typical. NYC-MNL was just $1676ish ai for next Feb '11 in B fares.
The Y fare was something like $4500+ and even Ms were higher than some of the B fares. I have to go to MNL in Feb, and so was watching the fares. This fare is usually at least $2600 for M, so I got it and used some PMUs to UG.

It seems to be necessary to check the fares for upcoming big trips regularly lately.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: