Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The 2010 Second Annual Delta Air Lines FlyerTalk Event — October 21-24, 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2010 Second Annual Delta Air Lines FlyerTalk Event — October 21-24, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2010, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Having attended both CO & DL events (> 1 of each), I'll call them & discuss them as I see them. I'd suggest you review the FlyerTalk TOS.
And I will reiterate this as I have made NO personal attack.

If you aren't happy, don't come. You won't be missed if you are coming in with a negative attitude. The full details are not even released yet and you are complaining.

Have a great evening.

Last edited by WBurcham; Jun 27, 2010 at 9:32 pm
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, DL, BA, LH
It looks the organizers have put together a fantastic program, great events, great hotel rate And a flight discount! I'm looking forward to it!! ^
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by cova
The Hilton does look nice and it may be worth it for the weekend when the lounges are closed. Everyone at the Hilton - unless they have status (or know someone) will likely not be able to get in the lounge.
As Hiltons go, it's well worth the $79 per night. Also note that Hilton HHonors Diamonds will get lounge access & complimentary breakfast for 2 no matter where their rooms are.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:53 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
At the Courtyard, there is a $62/night MR rate for October 21-25. For Marriott elite members, that is hard to beat!

I'm really looking forward to a great event!
Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WBurcham
And I will reiterate this as I have made NO personal attack.

If you aren't happy, don't come. You won't be missed if you are coming in with a negative attitude. The full details are not even released yet and you are complaining.

Have a great evening.
From one who is generally happy with my DL experiences and who is not coming to this DO, I think that the "negative attitude" (not my words) evidenced by MikeMpls (despite the fact that I frequently find him to be a giant PITA) has a legitimate place at the table at any DL event.

I mostly consider DL to be a utility that transports me where I need to go and which gives me some perks since I need to go frequently. The minute that they fail to serve my important routes or do not provide the minimal levels of service that I need, I will be off looking for another carrier to make the same sort of change that I have made twice in the last eight years as my needs changed and as the airlines changed their routes and levels of perks.

As far as I am concerned, it is the job of MikeMpls and his like to try to keep DL honest since it is instinctive on the company's part continually to look for cost savings and to find them in the perks that they supply to frequent travelers. So, even in this dog and pony show atmosphere that DL is providing to its leisure weekenders (and other frequent imbibers of of their Kool-Aid) for their enjoyment, it is important that he be there in full voice (as if he ever is not so ) letting his POV be heard.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by monitor
I mostly consider DL to be a utility that transports me where I need to go and which gives me some perks since I need to go frequently. The minute that they fail to serve my important routes or do not provide the minimal levels of service that I need, I will be off looking for another carrier to make the same sort of change that I have made twice in the last eight years as my needs changed and as the airlines changed their routes and levels of perks.

As far as I am concerned, it is the job of MikeMpls and his like to try to keep DL honest since it is instinctive on the company's part continually to look for cost savings and to find them in the perks that they supply to frequent travelers. So, even in this dog and pony show atmosphere that DL is providing to its leisure weekenders (and other frequent imbibers of of their Kool-Aid) for their enjoyment, it is important that he be there in full voice (as if he ever is not so ) letting his POV be heard.
Very well spoken
Old Jun 28, 2010, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
When I first joined FT, this forum was split down the middle between "the Delta loyalists" and the "Save SkyMiles" crowd.

The former couldn't abide any criticism of Delta. The latter not only posted here, but had its own website, paid for ads denouncing the changes in the SkyMiles program, and even met with top Delta execs to try to get the changes reversed.

The Leo Mullen administration refused to back down. Delta went belly up. Then Jerry Grinstein took over, adopted most of the SSM program, and pulled Delta out of financial disaster.

Who were the true Delta loyalists -- those who supported what Mullen was doing or those who opposed him?

Today, I see much the same situation (although, interestingly, many of those who were in the forefront of the SSM fight are backing Delta).

Personally, I have objections to some Delta policies and have made them clear in threads I have started. I also give Delta a "thumbs up" when it does something right -- as it often does.

I have good friends on both sides of the new split and really do not like to see them go after each other. Perhaps if both tried looking at the other's viewpoint, they will realize that each would like to see Delta be the best airline in the world.

And why not? After all, as its passengers, we would be the ones to benefit.

Last edited by Dovster; Jun 28, 2010 at 9:44 am
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
As Hiltons go, it's well worth the $79 per night. Also note that Hilton HHonors Diamonds will get lounge access & complimentary breakfast for 2 no matter where their rooms are.
It is a good deal, especially given the complimentary internet.

The Hilton does a lot of things to support our event. ^ The more bookings we have the better, for this year's event and for the future. :-: (And no, I don't get a commission. )

Our special rate and terms will be available Wednesday night 10/20 through checkout Monday morning 10/25. There is no minimum stay requirement.

So please do give strong consideration to staying at the Hilton. It will definitely have the convenience factor, and it benefits the event. We should have a booking page up for the event (just like last year) soon.

The major point of my post was the difference in handling the DOs -- cigarman took care of advanced registration, but once you arrived, CO took over all of the logistics (for 500+ people). They considered it an investment in their best customers and a business opportunity to convert new customers.
A good point. CO also caught a lot of flack from their employees over the cost of the event in addition to other issues.

In the meantime, this is a volunteer run event with support from Delta. So let's be sure to separate any issues folks have with Delta from how we are planning and putting the event together. I think this year there is more official Delta involvement than in the past, and hopefully that trend will continue.

It will certainly be appropriate should Mike walk into the executive Q&A with a list of issues and questions, just as in 2009. That was civil and professional, and hopefully some points were made.

Thank you,
David H.

Last edited by DiverDave; Jun 28, 2010 at 10:18 am
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:41 am

So, even in this dog and pony show atmosphere that DL is providing to its leisure weekenders (and other frequent imbibers of of their Kool-Aid) for their enjoyment, it is important that he be there in full voice (as if he ever is not so ) letting his POV be heard.
This is about a specific event that frequent travelers on Delta (and FlyerTalk members) are being invited to. This is NOT the arena to discuss your personal gripes or opinions on one's travel plans.

Originally Posted by Dovster
When I first joined FT, this forum was split down the middle between "the Delta loyalists" and the "Save SkyMiles" crowd.

The former couldn't abide any criticism of Delta. The latter not only posted here, but had its own website, paid for ads denouncing the changes in the SkyMiles program, and even met with top Delta execs to try to get the changes reversed.

The Leo Mullen administration refused to back down. Delta went belly up. Then Jerry Grinstein took over, adopted most of the SSM program, and pulled Delta out of financial disaster.

Who were the true Delta loyalists -- those who supported what Mullen was doing or those who opposed him?

Today, I see much the same situation (although, interestingly, many of those who were in the forefront of the SSM fight are backing Delta).

Personally, I have objections to some Delta policies and have made them clear in threads I have started. I also give Delta a "thumbs up" when it does something right -- as it often does.

I have good friends on both sides of the new split and really do not like to see them go after each other. Perhaps if both tried looking at the other's viewpoint, they will realize that each would like to see Delta be the best airline in the world.

And why not? After all, as its passengers, we would be the ones to benefit.
Don't believe that this is meant to be an "us vs them" issue. Just not the appropriate forum for these gripes to be made. If you want to gripe, don't come.

Originally Posted by DiverDave
In the meantime, this is a volunteer run event with support from Delta. So let's be sure to separate any issues folks have with Delta from how we are planning and putting the event together. I think this year there is more official Delta involvement than in the past, and hopefully that trend will continue.
^^ Someone put that in a far more well thought out (and less jetlagged manner) than I had.

Last edited by WBurcham; Jun 28, 2010 at 10:58 am
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:06 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

First, there is no comparison between this event and the Continental Airlines event. In fact, atldlff and I do not want this event to be anything like the Continental event. We prefer to keep the intimacy that made the event so successful for all who were present last year, and that includes Delta Air Lines personnel. They all said they had as much fun as we did, if not more!

Second, this event is a FlyerTalk event, not a Delta Air Lines event. I thanked Jeff Robertson personally multiple times for attending the Executive Question and Answer session last year, and each time I thanked him, he shook his head and said that he should be thanking me for inviting him to the event, as it is our event. Delta Air Lines does not have to spend one dime on this event, but Richard Anderson said to us in person at the Thank-You Luncheon last year that he wants Delta to be more involved in the event this year — and we welcome that with open arms. Besides, the employees of Delta Air Lines graciously kept surprising us last year with a number of different things for the event, and we have absolutely no idea what they have in store for us for this year, if anything.

Third, regardless of the opinion MikeMpls may have, I know he had a great time at the event last year, especially because he was the one who voluntarily launched this great Internet web site dedicated to the event.

Fourth, this is not a “rah-rah Delta” party. In fact, it is encouraged to be constructively critical about Delta Air Lines. The people at Delta Air Lines specifically requested and welcome constructive criticism and, in addition to personal interaction, they asked us if they could do focus groups during this event. After all, the whole point of the Executive Question and Answer session, as witnessed last year, is not to sell marketing hype, but rather to have a genuine dialogue regarding issues frequent fliers have and issues facing Delta Air Lines. Whether or not anyone liked or disliked the answers to questions posed to Delta Air Lines executives last year, nobody can say that they were not being as forthright as they possibly could be. This year should be no different. There was no agenda nor pre-determined topics or questions, and I expect that will be the case this year. Whatever topics were raised were discussed, and the executives stayed well beyond the time the session was supposed to be over. Nobody left!

Finally, this is not the thread to discuss “pro-Delta” versus “anti-Delta.” Please cease and desist from that type of discussion in this thread from this point onwards. There are plenty of other threads in the Delta SkyMiles forum for that kind of discussion.

Now, back to discussing and planning this event...
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
From one who is generally happy with my DL experiences and who is not coming to this DO, I think that the "negative attitude" (not my words) evidenced by MikeMpls (despite the fact that I frequently find him to be a giant PITA) has a legitimate place at the table at any DL event.

Very well said Monitor!

MikeMpls has valid point about CO being more proactive and generous in terms of planning, discounts and logistics. Delta simply has a much different culture. And from what I understand not everyone at DL is convinced that FlyerTalk provides value to the company, others are. We as a community can prove the doubters within the Delta organization wrong by being well informed, well spoken, specific and organized.

The egos are fragile in ATL. Just as we debate things NW did better here on FT, the combined staff at DL HQ does the same. With patience, but firm, specific examples, we can be a good resource to keep DL honest on what it really means to be "Best of Both" or "Best in Class" or whatever.

(Off topic note to Mike: if you plan to repeat the list of questions/items as you did last year [and I think you should!], I highly recommend you spell check, review grammar and remove the emotional tone. I think you'll see a positive difference in how powerful those questions are. You might want to even compare last year's list to see if any items have been addressed, are better, worse, etc.)
Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Snip . . .

I mostly consider DL to be a utility that transports me where I need to go and which gives me some perks since I need to go frequently.

. . . snip.
There is medicine for this problem.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I mostly consider DL to be a utility that transports me where I need to go and which gives me some perks since I need to go frequently.
That's why I always insist on an aisle seat!
Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
...(Off topic note to Mike: if you plan to repeat the list of questions/items as you did last year [and I think you should!], I highly recommend you spell check, review grammar and remove the emotional tone. I think you'll see a positive difference in how powerful those questions are. You might want to even compare last year's list to see if any items have been addressed, are better, worse, etc.)
Most of the sheet was the pasted-in inputs of other NW elites. They will have to voice their own concerns this year. First, last year I was one of relatively few NW elites who was active in the DL forum, so a lot of them found out too late to attend. They are all Medallions now, and hopefully they are participating here. And secondly, I don't think I'll be able to arrive in time for any Thursday [includes the execs] or Friday sessions; my vacation time this year is severely limited. We're mostly hoping for a good RWT followup over the weekend.

If such a sheet is done this year, I would suggest perhaps a "Top 10" list of desired SkyMiles improvements to use as talking points.

Originally Posted by DiverDave
... It will certainly be appropriate should Mike walk into the executive Q&A with a list of issues and questions, just as in 2009. That was civil and professional, and hopefully some points were made.

Thank you,
David H.
Regretfully, can't do it this year, plus I think a different orientation would better serve all this year -- see above.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jun 28, 2010 at 2:34 pm
Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by Canarsie
First, there is no comparison between this event and the Continental Airlines event. In fact, atldlff and I do not want this event to be anything like the Continental event. We prefer to keep the intimacy that made the event so successful for all who were present last year, and that includes Delta Air Lines personnel. They all said they had as much fun as we did, if not more!

Second, this event is a FlyerTalk event, not a Delta Air Lines event. I thanked Jeff Robertson personally multiple times for attending the Executive Question and Answer session last year, and each time I thanked him, he shook his head and said that he should be thanking me for inviting him to the event, as it is our event. Delta Air Lines does not have to spend one dime on this event, but Richard Anderson said to us in person at the Thank-You Luncheon last year that he wants Delta to be more involved in the event this year — and we welcome that with open arms. Besides, the employees of Delta Air Lines graciously kept surprising us last year with a number of different things for the event, and we have absolutely no idea what they have in store for us for this year, if anything.

Third, regardless of the opinion MikeMpls may have, I know he had a great time at the event last year, especially because he was the one who voluntarily launched this great Internet web site dedicated to the event.

Fourth, this is not a “rah-rah Delta” party. In fact, it is encouraged to be constructively critical about Delta Air Lines. The people at Delta Air Lines specifically requested and welcome constructive criticism and, in addition to personal interaction, they asked us if they could do focus groups during this event. After all, the whole point of the Executive Question and Answer session, as witnessed last year, is not to sell marketing hype, but rather to have a genuine dialogue regarding issues frequent fliers have and issues facing Delta Air Lines. Whether or not anyone liked or disliked the answers to questions posed to Delta Air Lines executives last year, nobody can say that they were not being as forthright as they possibly could be. This year should be no different. There was no agenda nor pre-determined topics or questions, and I expect that will be the case this year. Whatever topics were raised were discussed, and the executives stayed well beyond the time the session was supposed to be over. Nobody left!

Finally, this is not the thread to discuss “pro-Delta” versus “anti-Delta.” Please cease and desist from that type of discussion in this thread from this point onwards. There are plenty of other threads in the Delta SkyMiles forum for that kind of discussion.

Now, back to discussing and planning this event...
Very well thought out, very well put! Yes, let's leave this thread to only planning and attending the event, not to a debate over the quality, or lack thereof, of Delta, which makes it much more difficult to concentrate on the details of the event per se. There are many other threads for debates and complaints, but this thread is NOT one of them. Also, for what it is worth, a positive attitude, with constructive (non-personal) criticism, about the quality of the event, and the improving quality (hopefully) of Delta, will make things smoother, and more likely to improve on both fronts!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.