FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   The 2010 Second Annual Delta Air Lines FlyerTalk Event — October 21-24, 2010 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1096856-2010-second-annual-delta-air-lines-flyertalk-event-october-21-24-2010-a.html)

atldlff Jun 20, 2010 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Burj (Post 14166324)
A lot of us have really enjoyed the Ask A Delta Pilot thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ker-forum.html

Is would be great if we could invite W0X0F_2p2 to one of the gatherings/events...

I agree it would be great to have him participate in the event and if he is willing and available, maybe he could join us for a dinner where he could get a good opportunity to interact with the attendees. I know I would personally enjoy talking to him, as I know many others would.

I have also had requests to get Deltalina at the event. Again, it would be great if she wants to participate.

My suggestion is that someone take the lead and invite them. If they agree, get their respective contact information and drop me a note, and I will be sure that we reach out to them with a formal invite and the appropriate details for their participation. :)

Burj Jun 20, 2010 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by atldlff (Post 14166653)
My suggestion is that someone take the lead and invite them. If they agree, get their respective contact information and drop me a note, and I will be sure that we reach out to them with a formal invite and the appropriate details for their participation. :)

Sounds good...I just sent him a PM asking if he'd be interested in participating and included a link to this thread so he can read up on the details.

Canarsie Jun 20, 2010 7:28 pm

I am proud to announce that every single one of our volunteers who were the volunteers for the event last year have pledged to volunteer again this year and will definitely participate in the event.

We are also awaiting word from the remaining volunteers we have requested.

The FlyerTalk names of those volunteers, as well as their roles in the event, will be posted in this thread soon.

Originally Posted by atldlff (Post 14166653)
I agree it would be great to have him participate in the event and if he is willing and available, maybe he could join us for a dinner where he could get a good opportunity to interact with the attendees. I know I would personally enjoy talking to him, as I know many others would.

I have also had requests to get Deltalina at the event. Again, it would be great if she wants to participate.

As we are lining up keynote speakers for the event — the first time this has been announced publicly — perhaps they can both be keynote speakers?

This is going to be an amazing event and it will most likely top last year. We still have more surprises on which we are working and hope to reveal soon...

BondAir007 Jun 20, 2010 9:03 pm

I am looking forward to the DL do in ATL. ^ :)

Canarsie Jun 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Katherine Lee acknowledges here that her nickname, “Deltalina,” originated on FlyerTalk.

There is only one thing you should know, Kat — and hopefully you are reading this — the person who coined your nickname is a she, not a he — and she will definitely be at this event, hoping to meet you.

We will attempt to get through to “Deltalina” if possible and invite her to this event, but of course we cannot make any promises...

DLGrkItalNY Jun 20, 2010 9:58 pm

ATLDLFF & Canarsie,

Thanks for all the hard work into this. looking forward to another great event!

DiverDave Jun 21, 2010 6:58 am

I hope DeltaWebDev can come.

David

MikeMpls Jun 21, 2010 10:16 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave (Post 14169077)

David

Howsabout someone who can give us a definitive sketch of the history & architecture of Deltamatic?

fgirard Jun 21, 2010 10:20 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.175 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by MikeMpls

Originally Posted by DiverDave (Post 14169077)

David

Howsabout someone who can give us a definitive sketch of the history & architecture of Deltamatic?

Wouldn't you need a dry erase board the length of the Great Wall of China?

MikeMpls Jun 21, 2010 10:33 am

Originally Posted by fgirard (Post 14170120)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.175 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Wouldn't you need a dry erase board the length of the Great Wall of China?

I'm sure a geek with PowerPoint & an obsession with medieval history can handle it.

ADLFO Jun 21, 2010 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls (Post 14170094)

I'm thinking that not only could Gene Amdahl give such a history, but is probably one of about five people on the planet that could probably fix it in a short amount of time.

MikeMpls Jun 21, 2010 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by ADLFO (Post 14170879)
I'm thinking that not only could Gene Amdahl give such a history, but is probably one of about five people on the planet that could probably fix it in a short amount of time.

Gene Amdahl was a hardware guy. Not even he could fix Deltamatic. Fred Brooks (Mythical Man Month) was in charge of OS/360 development; he knows a lot about how not to develop software systems.

In some respects we're wandering here, but the bottom line is that Delta's reservations system is relying on software dating to 50+ years ago in the age of Fred & Barney. A how-we-got-to-where-we-are-today presentation would be interesting.

longing4piedmont Jun 21, 2010 2:54 pm

Is it not possible for every thread to not turn into a thread about the perceived issues with everything delta? :td:

Take it some where else guys.......

ecaarch Jun 21, 2010 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by WesNSpace (Post 14158579)
Just one quick note. We are noticing that some mail systems (especially Bellsouth/Yahoo) are sending messages from our domain ATLDO.com to your spam. We are working to fix that problem but it might be a good idea to go ahead and add the following e-mail address to your whitelist, addressbook or approved sender's list. If you don't know how to do that check with your e-mail provider and hopefully we can get this cleared up ASAP.

[email protected]

Sorry for the inconvenience and we will get it cleared up as soon as possible.

I offered to be a volunteer and I'm listed as such earlier in this thread. If for some reason my e-mail still bounces back, please PM me. I will def be happy to assist any way that I can. :cool:

Tom Williams Jun 21, 2010 8:09 pm

Alas, I will not be able to attend on these dates, due to a previous commitment to the 3-Day Walk for the Cure for Breast Cancer, which will be the same weekend in Atlanta.