Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Various spoke cities: double MQM + up to 50,000 bonus miles per round-trip

Various spoke cities: double MQM + up to 50,000 bonus miles per round-trip

Old Sep 15, 10, 10:42 am

Programs: DL Silver, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ianturner View Post
I've booked 2 flights....a positioning flight to PIT then a trip to HNL from PIT. I get to PIT the night before my departure to HNL but on the return I've got aobut 7 hrs in PIT...hoping to SDC to an earlier flight once I get in, but can I have my bags checked the whole way when i check in at HNL on the return? or will i have to go to baggage claim then re-check them?
You should be able to have them checked the whole way - just have the details with you when you check-in in HNL. Back in May had an F award LIH-LAX connecting to a seperate coach ticket LAX-CVG and they checked bags all the way through.
Old Sep 15, 10, 10:43 am

Programs: DL PM; CO Plat
Originally Posted by ianturner View Post
I've booked 2 flights....a positioning flight to PIT then a trip to HNL from PIT. I get to PIT the night before my departure to HNL but on the return I've got aobut 7 hrs in PIT...hoping to SDC to an earlier flight once I get in, but can I have my bags checked the whole way when i check in at HNL on the return? or will i have to go to baggage claim then re-check them?
AFAIK.. they usually allow a check thru.. just give them both reservations, but make sure they dont combine PNRs
Old Sep 15, 10, 11:45 am

Programs: DL DM
Confirming 2x MQM Promotion

This is my first post to flyertalk but I have been a frequent reader. I have actively searched the boards and I know a lot of my questions have been covered but I would like to confirm that everything works before I book a trip and that I will have no surprises.

The potential trip:
- PIT - SYD - PIT (with a connection or 2 between PIT and SYD both ways, not really needed for MQMs)
- Booked in some discount coach class (TBD)
- Fare about $1,200-1,300 when I am able to go

The MQMs:
- ~10,500 base MQMs
- 2x bonus MQMs for entire trip if all on DL metal
- total MQMs - 42,000

The SkyMiles:
- 50,000 international bonus
- regular 100% GM bonus
- total SkyMiles - 21,000 (base) + 21,000 (GM) + 50,000 (bonus) = 92,000

My questions are:
- Is anything incorrect above?
- Can I book in any coach class to get the above MQMs/SkyMiles? It seems that I can based on what I have read but seems almost too good a deal.

If I can do this, I will go from 68,000 to 110,000 MQMs for about $1,200, I will be getting 10,000 MQMs through AMEX shortly so will be on cusp on Diamond. I know I do not need to use rollover next year to get to Platinum for 2012 so intend to fly enough to get to Diamond from this level rather than stopping at 120,000.

Thank you and apologize for covering some items already covered elsewhere. Again, really want to make sure I am not missing something in my potential scenario.
Old Sep 15, 10, 11:51 am

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by FlyFromDTW View Post

The MQMs:
- ~10,500 base MQMs
- 2x bonus MQMs for entire trip if all on DL metal
- total MQMs - 42,000
Welcome to FT! Hope you enjoy your time here and don't waste too much of it!

Seems like you mean that 10,500k is a one-way, so your RT MQMs come out to be 21,000.

Also, are you referring to the 50k bonus that was part of the PIT promotion? If so, I think you must fly Business Elite for that bonus.

I'd tell you to hold short of Diamond if you can...

Last edited by CGNC; Sep 15, 10 at 11:56 am
Old Sep 15, 10, 12:05 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CGNC View Post
Also, are you referring to the 50k bonus that was part of the PIT promotion? If so, I think you must fly Business Elite for that bonus. I'd tell you to hold short of Diamond if you can...

Yes, the 50K bonus is for BE int'l travel. Coach tickets earn the 25K bonus. If the $1200ish price you're quoting is for a BE ticket, by all means - - TELL ME WHERE YOU FOUND THIS FARE!!! I'll leave tomorrow!!
Old Sep 15, 10, 12:19 pm

Fare was on delta.com in mid Oct. Many days. It was actually about $1,300. Thanks for the clarification on 25,000 vs 50,000. I read that but just forgot.

Any reason to hold short of Diamond other than rollover? I know I will be doing enough business travel next year to get to Platinum for 2012, so why not just take the Diamond for 2011? If I do rollover, would make Diamond for 2012 but likely not til late in year. I am thinking I get Diamond November 2010 and keep thru February 2012. Then I am platinum. And maybe there will be some deals like this where I can try to get to Diamond again for 2012. If I hold bakc, I know I will be Diamond for 2012 but will end up at Platinum for most of 2011. Am I missing anything?
Old Sep 15, 10, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If you're able to fly from Saint Louis instead, tickets from there to SYD are in the neighborhood of $1150..
Old Sep 15, 10, 12:29 pm

Yup, got to figure out best fares for my dates/times, including cost in cash or dollars to get to these cities.
Old Sep 15, 10, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice platinum, Marriott gold
Fare was on delta.com in mid Oct. Many days. It was actually about $1,300. Thanks for the clarification on 25,000 vs 50,000. I read that but just forgot.

Any reason to hold short of Diamond other than rollover? I know I will be doing enough business travel next year to get to Platinum for 2012, so why not just take the Diamond for 2011? If I do rollover, would make Diamond for 2012 but likely not til late in year. I am thinking I get Diamond November 2010 and keep thru February 2012. Then I am platinum. And maybe there will be some deals like this where I can try to get to Diamond again for 2012. If I hold bakc, I know I will be Diamond for 2012 but will end up at Platinum for most of 2011. Am I missing anything?
No I'd say go for diamond.

I know it may be silly to ask, but you did register for the double MQMs promo right? I'd hate to see you take the trip and then not get the bonus by not registering beforehand...
Old Sep 15, 10, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yup, got to figure out best fares for my dates/times, including cost in cash or dollars to get to these cities.
Makes sense. Don't forget to look into using miles to get to the city you need to get to. As far as I'm concerned, it makes perfect sense to spend 25k miles in order to earn 67k (net gain of 42k RDM).
Old Sep 15, 10, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Your information (aside from the 50,000 instead of 25,000 international bonus, which has already been addressed) fits with what I've found looking into a similar trip from one of the focus cities (probably RDU) to SIN.

I was surprised to see that the miles to SYD are about the same as to SIN; I would have expected SYD to accrue more miles. I picked SIN because I like that city, so didn't compare the two.
Old Sep 15, 10, 3:27 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Just an update on my mileage posting from a trip this past weekend . . . .

PIT/MSP/DEN - - SDC'd to PIT/DTW/SLC/DEN. (Surely you know why I changed! ). DTW/SLC was late due to having to return to the gate to deplane a drunk passenger (at 8:30 AM!), so I missed the SLC/DEN flight and was rebooked to the next one. Well, PIT/DTW/SLC posted, but NOT SLC/DEN, so I only received 2500 bonus miles for a "HUB" trip to SLC. I waited a day and called for SLC/DEN credit, and as soon as the flight miles posted, the bonus changed to 5000 for NON-hub!! Nice! I was worried that I might have to eMail KP!

Also, this trip was booked WAYYYY before the DMQM deal was offered.

No big revelation here. I just thought I'd tell ya!

Last edited by davetravels; Sep 15, 10 at 3:33 pm
Old Sep 15, 10, 4:34 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/2.98MM And holding - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Plat
I've done BNA-SEA same day turn around through ATL - 10,728 MQMs for $259 all in.
I arrange to be in BNA for work and take 1 day off.
Old Sep 15, 10, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
Huh? Why are you taking any more than a couple of bathing suits and sandals to HNL???
my scuba gear
Old Sep 15, 10, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Just looked at Halloween weekend from STL-SYD food 1150 in coach. Tempting, that's a lot of miles, but a lot of sitting...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: