Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Various spoke cities: double MQM + up to 50,000 bonus miles per round-trip

Various spoke cities: double MQM + up to 50,000 bonus miles per round-trip

Old Sep 14, 10, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TAWS View Post
How risky is it trying a positional flight on another airline to catch an international flight from RDU on the same day.
For my STL-LIM runs, I flew AA to/from STL for two reasons. First, it is super easy to get flights from NYC to STL. There is nice availability. Second, I bought all of these tickets in the early days of this promotion and I didn't want the positioning flights to "pollute" or mess up the actual mileage run tickets. (Now that we know everything is fine as long as the positioning are on separate tickets.)

Yes, it is a tad risky to use a different airline for the positioning flight, but I took the risk.
Old Sep 14, 10, 10:20 am

Programs: NW, UA
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend View Post
(Now that we know everything is fine as long as the positioning are on separate tickets.)
separate tickets AND different days, correct?
Old Sep 14, 10, 10:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by worldexpress View Post
No, positioning flights on DL can be on the same day. Kevin said that if they were within a certain window it must mess up the posting but that he would correct the problem.

But, DL positioning flights can be on the same day.
Old Sep 14, 10, 11:02 am

It doesn't have to be different days... Folks are still eventually getting all the DMQM and RDM they earned but it is either delayed in posting or they have to go through SMS/KP if they have flights less than 4 hours apart.

I suppose:
1. Different Days if you have overnight accommodations; Most likely no hassle with everything posting
2. Same Day Greater Than 4 Hours if your schedule permits; Likely no hassle with everything posting; Increased time sitting at the airport waiting; No hotel needed
3. Same Day Less Than 4 Hours if you want the hassle of tracking down all your DMQM and RDM but no worries about a hotel stay and sitting/waiting at the airport.

All three will get you to the same end result but via very different paths. At the end it's totally up to you and the different values you put on things (i.e. staying in a hotel, sitting in an airport, e-mail DL, etc.)
Old Sep 14, 10, 11:08 am

Programs: CO Silver (soon Gold)
Sorry if this has been asked before. Does the offer stand for the following multi-city itinerary?

RDU - SEA, PDX - RDU (driving from SEA to PDX).

Thanks
Old Sep 14, 10, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta Diamond since inception
No, positioning flights on DL can be on the same day. Kevin said that if they were within a certain window it must mess up the posting but that he would correct the problem.

Could always buy the ticket and not use your FF# I guess. That has worked for others on the positioning flight and just scrap the FF miles for those segments.
Old Sep 14, 10, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by dhh1 View Post
Could always buy the ticket and not use your FF# I guess...just scrap the FF miles for those segments.
Totally dumb*.

*Not you dhh1, just the very idea.
Old Sep 14, 10, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta Diamond since inception
Originally Posted by Kohoutek View Post
Totally dumb*.

*Not you dhh1, just the very idea.
Well my wife would agree on the latter - she thinks I am nuts. I thought it was worth scraping the miles as my positioning flights were short and only cost me 1k miles total - 500 x 2 in order to prevent any snafu with my award miles. My miles with bonuses already posted within 24hrs of landing.
Old Sep 14, 10, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before. Does the offer stand for the following multi-city itinerary?

RDU - SEA, PDX - RDU (driving from SEA to PDX).

Thanks
As an open jaw, yes.

And for all of you who don't feel like reading the thread, here's a handy guide: http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...ies_Bonus_2010

Happy travels!
Old Sep 14, 10, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Originally Posted by yashan View Post
I suppose:
1. Different Days if you have overnight accommodations; Most likely no hassle with everything posting
2. Same Day Greater Than 4 Hours if your schedule permits; Likely no hassle with everything posting; Increased time sitting at the airport waiting; No hotel needed
3. Same Day Less Than 4 Hours if you want the hassle of tracking down all your DMQM and RDM but no worries about a hotel stay and sitting/waiting at the airport.
That's been the case for me on all three scenarios.

Have a couple more 2/3 situations coming up over the next month, though one might become a (1).
Old Sep 14, 10, 12:06 pm

Programs: CO Silver (soon Gold)
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs View Post
As an open jaw, yes.

And for all of you who don't feel like reading the thread, here's a handy guide: http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...ies_Bonus_2010

Happy travels!
The flights will be on the same itineray, so I guess that's what you call open-jaw?! I take that as a yes, thanks!
Old Sep 14, 10, 1:45 pm

Programs: NW, UA
Originally Posted by yashan View Post
It doesn't have to be different days... Folks are still eventually getting all the DMQM and RDM they earned but it is either delayed in posting or they have to go through SMS/KP if they have flights less than 4 hours apart.

I suppose:

All three will get you to the same end result but via very different paths. At the end it's totally up to you and the different values you put on things (i.e. staying in a hotel, sitting in an airport, e-mail DL, etc.)

good stuff. thanks. ^

btw.. who is kevin pinto and how does one get in touch w/ him?
Old Sep 14, 10, 2:07 pm

...who is kevin pinto and how does one get in touch w/ him?
Do come on now.
Old Sep 14, 10, 2:41 pm

I am interested in finding out if:
"Delta 5352 - Operated by Delta Connection Carrier, Atlantic Southeast Airlines" PIT-DTW on Sat Sept 25

is the same plane that turns after completing

DTW-PIT DL5262 "Canadair Regional Jet 700
operated by Atlantic Southeast"

I'd like to do an immediate turn back to DTW and will book 2 separate tickets (with only 30 minute layover in PIT) only if I know this is the same plane heading back to DTW that I'll be arriving on. Anyone know how to figure this out?
Old Sep 14, 10, 3:11 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by gopackjo View Post
Oh, I almost forgot. I did have to make the friendly reminder call to the Silver Hotline . . . .
Originally Posted by flyer89 View Post
Hmm...now I started to see why they only say "We would like to extend our welcoming to our Diamonds, PLTs, Golds..." One trip and I'm almost gold...^

You mean 'Silvers' have a hotline?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: