Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Various spoke cities: double MQM + up to 50,000 bonus miles per round-trip

Various spoke cities: double MQM + up to 50,000 bonus miles per round-trip

Old Jun 19, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL Carbon
Problem is some of the answers to these "mysteries" will not be revealed until 6-8 weeks into next year when the bonuses post.

"MQMs and bonus miles will post to the SkyMiles account of the qualifying member 6—8 weeks following the end of the promotion (December 31, 2010)."

I can picture the outrage when a literal reading and application of the promotion is followed up by "Oh, no, we didn't mean that."

And what is this clause doing in the promotion T&C:
"Award Travel:
Taxes and fees for Award Travel are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time the ticket is booked. Award Travel seats are limited and may not be available on all flights or in all markets."

Are they really that incompetent? What is the relevance of award travel taxes and availability in the T&C for an MQM and bonus miles promotion?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
I'm a happy *A family member now but 60k for 5xRT from BNA is tempting, if it wasn't for these doubts about what they actually mean. I think I'm going to pass up on this one.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
I see all 4 promos listed on my promotion page. I did not receive an e-mail about any of these promos.
Me too. Home is FLL; I received no emails regarding this promotion; all four are on my promotion page.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't want to book since it's still unclear if the entire itinerary will earn DMQM, but I found a routing yesterday that would have earned 47,810 MQM after doubling (assuming entire itinerary doubled) for $990. That's $0.021/MQM. Of course, we're talking 11 flights, 54h 51m on board total and significant layover time, so I don't think too many people would want it. Typically, today the prices are higher and I can't get the exact same itinerary to show up at all.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 5:58 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by SeaBridge
I can picture the outrage when a literal reading and application of the promotion is followed up by "Oh, no, we didn't mean that."
"...because we clearly said that your flight must both depart from STL and land in STL, and none of the flights that you booked do that."
Old Jun 19, 2010, 6:08 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I just registered for the promo and got the page below:

You’ve successfully registered to earn double Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs)—plus generous mileage bonuses—for round-trip Delta flights out of Pittsburgh through December 31, 2010:

Earn 5,000 bonus miles plus double MQMs when you fly to Delta hub cities—Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis, New York/JFK and Salt Lake City

Earn 10,000 bonus miles plus double MQMs for flights to all other cities in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean—over 350 to choose from

Earn 25,000 bonus miles plus double MQMs for international travel in Economy Class to over 70 countries

Earn 50,000 bonus miles plus double MQMs for international travel in BusinessElite®

Folks, I think the RACE IS ON!!!!!! What do you think?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: Skyteam PE; at one point or another everything else
I just noticed that my promotions got "silently" updated, maybe there is just a long processing time?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
" nonstop flights originating and terminating in " is the phrase in the T&C that bothers me. All these wonderful itineraries that string together segs adding up to 25,000 or 50,000 MQM's ? What if the bonus only applies to a flight from BNA to ATL, DTW, or MSP ? Do any flights from BNA non-stop to anyplace else ???

SMI, where are you when we need you ? Clarification please !
Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by SeaBridge
And what is this clause doing in the promotion T&C:
"Award Travel:
Taxes and fees for Award Travel are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time the ticket is booked. Award Travel seats are limited and may not be available on all flights or in all markets."

Are they really that incompetent? What is the relevance of award travel taxes and availability in the T&C for an MQM and bonus miles promotion?
They are giving away RDM that are used for "free" award travel, but to achieve "free" travel, you must pay certain taxes and fees. If they don't point that out over and over again there is a long list of lawyers drooling over the court time.

Originally Posted by Frozentech
" nonstop flights originating and terminating in " is the phrase in the T&C that bothers me.
Agreed some clarification would be nice. On one hand it could be interpreted as a nonstop round trip as long as it leaves a promo city and at some point you return to the same promo city on one PNR. On the other hand technically this language requires a plane to takeoff and land in the same city actually going no where but right back where it started... nonstop leaving A and arriving in A. Other than a few maintenance flights that don't carry paying pax, no other scheduled flights apply so the the promo applies to no one. No ambiguity there.

I am hoping that it truly means round trip (no open jaws, no one-ways) as long as you leave the promo city and return to the same promo city on one itinerary it is eligible.

Last edited by bwhite; Jun 19, 2010 at 7:19 pm
Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Here's the question I sent and the response.

Hello,

I have a question about promotion 97060536, as offered at http://www.delta.com/stlbonus.
The offer is for Double MQMs and for a certain amount of bonus miles that varies depending on the destination (5,000 for U.S. hub city;
10,000 for non-hub U.S. city, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean; 25,000 for international travel in economy; and 50,000 for business class).

The terms of the offer also state: "Purchase by November 30, 2010, and fly on Delta or Delta Connection carrier marketed/operated nonstop flights originating and terminating in St. Louis, MO (STL) by December 31, 2010."

I am requesting clarification on the "nonstop" requirement. I have two questions along these lines.

1. Does this mean that any flight with a connection is not eligible for this promotion? For example, is a round-trip flight between St. Louis and Tokyo that has a connection in Atlanta eligible for the promotion (provided it fulfills the other terms, of course)?

2. If flights with connections are eligible, on what segments are Double MQM's earned? Going again with the above example of a St. Louis to Tokyo with a connection in Atlanta, would Double MQM's be earned on the entire itinerary, or just the segment between St. Louis and Atlanta?

Any clarification you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you
jb
And the reply:

Dear Mr. jb,

Thank you for your message via delta.com. We are grateful for you taking the time to share your concerns with us.

We appreciate your interest in our most recent promotion. The Terms and Conditions are a bit unclear so let me try and explain them for you.
Using your example, if you fly from St. Louis to one of our hub cities nonstop you receive double MQM's plus 5,000 bonus miles, you travel must terminate at the hub with a nonstop flight back to St. Louis to be eligible for this offer. We do not operate nonstop flights from St.
Louis to Mexico or the Caribbean so you would have to take a connection, in that case you receive double MQM's and 10,000 bonus miles. The same case for our international destinations, such a Tokyo, because we do not operate a nonstop from St. Louis to those destinations you may connect through one of our hubs to reach your destination. If you travel economy you will receive your double MQM's and 25,000 bonus miles, Business Elite flying earns you double MQM's and 50,000 bonus miles.

I hope I have been able to answer your questions. Your support as a Medallion member is important to Delta, our Connection Carriers, and SkyTeam partners. We look forward to your continued patronage.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by javabytes; Jun 20, 2010 at 11:09 pm
Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
And the reply: . . . .

All I can say is:

OOOOOOOOOO MMMMMMMMMM GGGGGGGGGG!!!

Aren't you glad you waited all day for that reply!! Did'ja really expect a truly informational answer!!!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by davetravels
And the reply: . . . .

All I can say is:

OOOOOOOOOO MMMMMMMMMM GGGGGGGGGG!!!

Aren't you glad you waited all day for that reply!! Did'ja really expect a truly informational answer!!!
Well I'm surprised... I expected to wait 6 days for this reply.

Sent an email asking them to clarify, basically asking the same questions over again.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:32 pm

Crap!

The very day this promo dropped I bought a round-trip ticket from ATL-FCO.

I think I will rebook the ticket out of BNA, and deal with the hassle of 10 hours in the car to get the extra 12,072 MQMs and a guarantee of PM in 2011.

Last edited by meh130; Jun 19, 2010 at 9:18 pm
Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Sounds to me like they are saying -- without really saying -- that any r/t that originates/ends in STL will qualify for DMQM regardless of ultimate destination. In other words, if I book a r/t to STL on a separate PNR, then all my flts from STL to xxx will qualify as long as I return to STL on a second r/t PNR.

OK, I don't live near STL or any of the other cities so that would add $200+ to the cost for most flts, very slightly offset by the MQM/bonus to get there but if they insist I get DMQM for all r/t's beginning/ending in any of the 4 cities for the rest of this year...
Old Jun 19, 2010, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Well I'm surprised... I expected to wait 6 days for this reply.

Sent an email asking them to clarify, basically asking the same questions over again.

Well, from the stories I've read here, I'm actually quite surprised that your response at least even makes SOME reference to the original question! I really thought your answer would be something like:

Thank you for eMailing the SkyPesos Service Center. We're glad you're interested in our special promotions which allow you to maximize the value of flying with us. If you require any further information, be sure that you can find it on Delta.com.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.