Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Conspiracy Theory: was "skypesos" a planned strategy?

Conspiracy Theory: was "skypesos" a planned strategy?

Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Was SkyPesos planned? If it wasn't, then Delta was blind to what it is doing.

I made this post in 2003:

Originally Posted by Dovster
Alitalia is having a promo right now. I can fly TLV-MXP-TLV for $349. I am GM, so I receive a 100% bonus. This means I would collect 6732 miles for my trip.

Someone else spends that same $349 on 1-800-Flowers and collects 34,900 miles.

A few months ago, I signed up for Delta Amex Gold and got 15,000 miles before I ever spent a cent -- more than twice what I would have gotten for that trip to Milan.

Flying is getting to be the least cost-effective way of getting SkyMiles. On top of that, the inflation in miles is making it harder and harder to get SkySaver awards.

When does this idiocy stop and we go back to a program where Frequent Flyer miles are awarded to people who fly frequently?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond,Holiday Inn Dia Ambassador ,AA Gold
Originally Posted by N231LA
The inflation of the 25k ticket - look what you get compared to 20 years ago:
1. you get to pay $25 each way for your bag
2. you get no meal
3. you get no pillow, blanket
4. you get snarly FA's and GA's
5. you get to pay to book through a Res. agent
6. you get to pay outrageous fees for ticket changes
7. you get to ride in the same plane that was flying 20 years ago

Inflation?...the award should be 15k taking into account the deflation of the service provided.
8.you get to run through the security ringer
Old Jun 13, 2010, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Dovster
Was SkyPesos planned? If it wasn't, then Delta was blind to what it is doing.

I made this post in 2003:
Prescience... Ladies' man and prognosticator. I am increasingly in awe of your reputation. How much of it is true?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Prescience... Ladies' man and prognosticator. I am increasingly in awe of your reputation. How much of it is true?
Everything except the good parts.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Well I was trying to book my daughter JFK-ARN-JFK with SP and DL wanted 180,000 miles in Y as a 'Medium' Level. I retrenched and got her a 60k RT award on BA with multiple flights to choose from on her day of departure.

Does anybody know what a 'High' RT Y US-Europe would be? It seemed a bit crazy. Glad I am down to 60k miles left w DL.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Well I was trying to book my daughter JFK-ARN-JFK with SP and DL wanted 180,000 miles in Y as a 'Medium' Level. I retrenched and got her a 60k RT award on BA with multiple flights to choose from on her day of departure.

Does anybody know what a 'High' RT Y US-Europe would be? It seemed a bit crazy. Glad I am down to 60k miles left w DL.
STO-NYC-STO trips this summer have cost me less than $650 all-in for the roundtrip coach ticket, even on ARN-JFK-ARN itineraries with all flights operated by DL.

180,000 miles for a simple roundtrip covering the same flights is a rip-off, but this is DL management doing what it does.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2. you get no meal

Inflation?...the award should be 15k taking into account the deflation of the service provided.
You forgot the TSA drill.

MisterNice
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
2. you get no meal

Lets not just be one sided on this
1. Increasing fuel costs
2. Increasing labor costs
3. Glut of new LCCs to the market
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:15 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Priority Club
Regarding the OP's "conspiracy", I'm not so sure it's really a conspiracy. The ability to redeem low mileage awards seems to reflect the Skypesos theory.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by majorwibi
Lets not just be one sided on this
1. Increasing fuel costs
2. Increasing labor costs
3. Glut of new LCCs to the market
Other than fuel costs, I think you will find that labor costs per seat mile have actually gone down because of increased productivity, i.e. one gate agent instead of three, Bangladesh reservation centers, etc.

And as far as the LLC's, the frequent flyer programs were initiated to counter the low fares of LLC's by trying to build loyalty albeit at higher fares, i.e. PeopleExpress 1981, DL FF Program 1981, etc. The LLC's have always sold price, while Delta sells a higher fare with supposed higher service and a reward for loyalty. Diminishing the reward diminishes part of the reasoning for charging higher fares than the LLC's.

So, bottom line - DL sells itself as a premium product but continues to slide into being nothing but a Lower Cost Carrier.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:55 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Whatever you may say, the LCCs are not for me. Where else can I get a F seat domestically for the cost of a T fare?
Even my son (gifted SM) has been upgraded from WAS to SFO. This tells me the economy is really bad and that DL (and other legacies) are still hurting and the best time to be an elite is right now.

If I earn double the miles even from flying as a GM+ (and 25% more with DM) I expect to spend a bit more in miles for the free tickets. If I earn in Pesos I should expect to spend in Pesos.
I am also not sure if the whole structure of the FF programs based on miles flown was well thought out and the legacies have raised the expectations so high that they are having problems and DL is trying to wean FF gradually.

Onepass was known as Nonepass and we shall see if the new 800 lb gorilla agrees with DL or stays the same. US already has a 3 tier structure. I have been on US and given a choice of a nonstop will always go DL. I stayed with US as the upgrades were free and got double miles for any *A flight (nonstops are more from WAS), but may jump to CO for free upgrades and status match this year.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:51 am

Programs: Dl PM-MMX2, AA Gold, UA Priemier, Hyatt D, Hilton D, Marriott Plat, Avis President's
One thing I don't get with most folks here that throw around terms like skypiles and skypesos (funny as they are) are the same ones who are always advising posters to demand miles for broken seats and what nots... if they are so worthless then why bother? I demand ecerts, and almost always get them. I totally agree that SMs have been devalued on purpose by DL, but like another poster pointed out, DL is selling seats to folks who don't want to 'waste' miles. The 'waste' is to not use them. That is what DL wants you to do. If you "earn" 100,000 miles a year simply by using a credit card, then don't fret about spending them. You were going to charge that gas anyway, right? And if you "earn" 3,900 miles sending flowers you had to send anyway, that's 'free' miles. I think that some people look at their milage balance and forget (as in my case) half the miles were free, and then they discombobulate in their head that they really "earned" all those miles. So (in my case) if the reward tix I want is 50,000 miles, I just remind myself that the 100% mark up is them taking back my free miles... so what. It is a state of mind.

Another poster pointed out that DL knows the flights are full, which is mostly true. So if you owned DL, wouldn't you do the same? If most of your flights were full of paying PAX, wouldn't you be happy?

My point is that DL, like every other huge company, simply doesn't care. AND look at who is DL favorite bedfellow -- the nastiest hooker on the (wall)street -- AMEX; who, by the way, wrote the playbook for DL on how to cheat the customer and devalued SMs and are now even devaluing the whole system with MQM give-a-ways. Hell, I can literally make GM status without ever flying even a inch. Why do you think they came up with the DM level? Because, thanks to AMEX too many SMs were making GM and too many GMs were making PM. So thay had to add DM to make us have to fly DL more if we wanted top tier and be able to trump the next guy on the UG list. What a bunch of 'fake cheese' most just gobbled up.

But we all continue to play the game, why? Because we think a policy is a promise and the next "promise" they make, we will all expect them to keep it, WHICH THEY WON'T. Then we will have something else to gripe about and forget that they 'done this before'. Take rollover miles... my guess is that will either get canceled or changed with a new policy over time -or- a Y seat from ATL-MEM will cost 500,000 miles. In the end, just don't call their program policies "promises" and you will all sleep better at night. Meanwhile, take what you can and if you don't like it move on. Like I said, DL simply doesn't care so long as we continue to play (and pay) with them. And let's face it, most of us are too drunk on the DL punch to drive to the next terminal and get on another airline ---which truth be told, is doing pretty much the same thing as DL.

Personally, I'm saving up my miles to go out with a bang -- like take my whole family of 7 on a 777LR in FC to Sydney, or something crazy like that -- I won't even care how many miles I'm spending. With the thin margins on most flights, 7 non-rev FC seats on a run like that will likley make the difference wheather or not that flight made any profit. Then it is adiós to the pesos.

Seriousness aside... the thing I love most about FT is there is still humor in world... there is some seriously funny posts on this thread!

Last edited by LALAland; Jun 15, 2010 at 4:26 am
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by LALAland
One thing I don't get with most folks here that throw around terms like skypiles and skypesos (funny as they are) are the same ones who are always advising posters to demand miles for broken seats and what nots... if they are so worthless then why bother? I demand ecerts, and almost always get them. I totally agree that SMs have been devalued on purpose by DL, but like another poster pointed out, DL is selling seats to folks who don't want to 'waste' miles. The 'waste' is to not use them. That is what DL wants you to do. If you "earn" 100,000 miles a year simply by using a credit card, then don't fret about spending them. You were going to charge that gas anyway, right? And if you "earn" 3,900 miles sending flowers you had to send anyway, that's 'free' miles. I think that some people look at their milage balance and forget (as in my case) half the miles were free, and then they discombobulate in their head that they really "earned" all those miles.
Miles gotten on credit card spending are certainly not free though. SMs one gets on AmEx spending carry a heavy opportunity cost. One could have used the far superior US Bank FlexPerks CC (and save a lot of headaches of not having to deal with AmEx's awful anti-customer service, if it ever comes to that) and have gotten actual valuable FlexPoints that carry a $0.01-$0.02 CPP value and are good for any flight on any airline: a lot more valuable, and flexible, than SkyPesos.

AmEx and DL know that. Heck, even AmEx's own reps tell their customers how bad SkyPesos are and try to entice them to switch to a non-DL AmEx card! That is why so many MQMs are given away by AmEx, which is the only reason that's likely keeping most people hooked on an otherwise not-worth-very-much card and program.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by LALAland
....demand miles for broken seats and what nots... if they are so worthless then why bother? I demand ecerts, and almost always get them.

!
Any tips you'd like to offer here? I just had a quadruple incident on my last flt and they offered 14K miles. When I read your comment suddenly I realize that maybe I should push back.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by kyushuman
So are you guys still flying Dullta?
I quit this year--after 13 years of being NW Plat--I have gone from 122,500 EQMs last year to 1,300 so far this year, and nothing ticketed before the end of the year.
Purchased tickets on CO, AA, and UA so far. Using up my DL miles here and there, and probably will try and get at least to DL Gold (due to rollover, I only need 20K), so I can keep my SkyClubs membership due to my Japanese address.
My emails to DL's customer service are answered with public relations BS, not actual answers or explanations. Ick.
So........ those of you who continue to rant about DL--are you still flying 'em?
I'd jump ship in a second if I could, but ST dominates NYC-AMS non-stop. I got the status match from CO but I've only managed to fly CO once because the times don't work for me as well.

I should hit DM later this year, but all of my travel is TATL, so I get fewer upgrades than a SM who flies domestically. Ick, indeed. I know, I get access to the amazing lounges, complete with the stale cookies as in BOS on Sunday.

Do any airlines offer the occasional TATL upgrade? At this point I would be ecstatic if I scored 1 upgrade out of 20 TATL legs, just as a sop. Like a free shrimp cocktail after buying 100 burgers. Last year I got op-upped on about 7 out of 40 TATL legs. This year, nada, 0-for-about 20. I don't know, maybe DM will help. Will it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.