Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta destroys charity triathlete's bike

Old Jun 9, 10, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, National Exec, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, SPG Gold

youtube video here

Though not a catchy song like "United Breaks Guitars" this is still pretty pathetic.

The short summary, guy is doing 20 half-ironmans to raise money to build dams in Africa, pays $200 each way to check his carbon Ellsworth tri bike, and Delta crushes it. To add insult to injury they won't even refund the checked bike fee.

I don't know the particulars of why Delta won't cover the damage. Could be some fine print or maybe he signed a waiver. There's nothing on dl.com that suggests some limited liability for bikes.

I'm a cyclist and $200 each way for a bike that weighs less than most suitcases is ridiculous. Most budget airlines (at least in Europe) will do bikes for less than $50. With fees for everything else I guess it's not surprising that Delta have identified this as another revenue source.
Old Jun 9, 10, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Spending a pile of money to travel around is NOT charity.

If this guy were serious about charity, he would take the $200 each way he is spending on checking his bike and, like, give it to charity.
Old Jun 9, 10, 11:57 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
I am not a triathlete, but I know several. The cost of those bikes is breathtaking! I wish I had that type of disposable income.

If I were going to check any delicate or expensive piece of equipment (like an Xbox or a tri bike), I'd bloody well make sure that there was some type of insurance policy that covered it.

If this guy is a serious triathlete, he has multiple bikes (including more than one racing bike). Yes, this bike (and it may be his "best") is out of commission, but I don't think his competitive career has come to an end.

Why is he hiding behind sunglasses? Just wondering.

I'm not excusing Delta. I believe they have some degree of liability for checked items, per the CoC?

I do think that people should take personal responsibility.

Poor form trying to play off your charity and say that Delta Air Lines is depriving children in Africa of water. If he REALLY cares about children and water, he'd donate his time or money to the cause, instead of junketing around, playing with his expensive toys.
Old Jun 9, 10, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
I'll admit I don't know much about bikes and shipping them. I do know about shipping golf clubs. If I ship my set of Pings using a soft side bag like the one used to ship this bike, I have a pretty good idea what the clubs are going to look like on the other end.

Do they make something to ship bikes in other than a soft side nylon bag?
Old Jun 9, 10, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont View Post
I'll admit I don't know much about bikes and shipping them. I do know about shipping golf clubs. If I ship my set of Pings using a soft side bag like the one used to ship this bike, I have a pretty good idea what the clubs are going to look like on the other end.

Do they make something to ship bikes in other than a soft side nylon bag?
Yes, the triathletes I know all ship their bikes (and wheels separately) in specially-constructed hardshell cases. These cases DO take a beating. The bikes and wheels survive quite well though.
Old Jun 9, 10, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Non story, not worth reporting really. Sh*t happens. Even to American:
http://nycaviation.com/2010/06/08/am...-breaks-bikes/
Old Jun 9, 10, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
Spending a pile of money to travel around is NOT charity.

If this guy were serious about charity, he would take the $200 each way he is spending on checking his bike and, like, give it to charity.
Originally Posted by jimrpa View Post
... Poor form trying to play off your charity and say that Delta Air Lines is depriving children in Africa of water. If he REALLY cares about children and water, he'd donate his time or money to the cause, instead of junketing around, playing with his expensive toys.
Different strokes for different folks. If the guy enjoys participating in charity triathlons, so be it. The fact remains that Delta destroyed his bike, or so he claims.
Old Jun 9, 10, 12:33 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Why doesn't he just do 10 full Ironman events? He'll finish faster and save $2000 on baggage fees.
Old Jun 9, 10, 12:36 pm

Delta lists bikes as fragile and I believe will not ship without a damage waiver. Thanks for your $200, if we break it too bad. I think you could ship it with a real freight service for less than $200.
Old Jun 9, 10, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by motytrah View Post
Delta lists bikes as fragile and I believe will not ship without a damage waiver. Thanks for your $200, if we break it too bad. I think you could ship it with a real freight service for less than $200.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old Jun 9, 10, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

A damage waiver is meaningless if he can prove negligence. If he can prove they ran it over, they're responsible.

Anybody or any company can disclaim anything they want. That doesn't mean they can act recklessly.
Old Jun 9, 10, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
My local shop will expertly pack my bike securely for $45 including boxing and full bubble wrapping, etc. For $75, they'll pack it with nearly double the packaging material and extra care. Almost all shops will do this for similar prices. Shipping it on top of the packaging should keep you under $200 for nearly anywhere in the continental US.
Old Jun 9, 10, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/5.93 MMer; MR: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Rather than concerning itself over "earth shattering" issues such as banning peanuts on flights, perhaps the DOT should do something about the absolutely one-sided CoCs all the airlines offer.
Old Jun 9, 10, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The bikes the triathlon athletes used to use on Maui were custom made and pricey. I heard one guy say $2700 one time and he said he had 2 of them.

MisterNice
Old Jun 9, 10, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
Originally Posted by Jazzop View Post
Why doesn't he just do 10 full Ironman events? He'll finish faster and save $2000 on baggage fees.
Excellent!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: