Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here's good news on Companion Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: DL-DM; HH-Gold; MR-Silver; Avis-First
Originally Posted by SkyMilesInsider
Yes...we can confirm this. Look to delta.com/whatsahead for more information on this today.

We hope you enjoy this one as we have recieved a lot of feedback on it over time and want you to know that we hear your comments.
Great News ^
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: DL-DM, PC-PM
Thanks for at least fixing this portion. For the upgrades, it is quite simple; just do it the way NWA did it for years with no real complaints.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: DL Silver, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver
Yes...we can confirm this. Look to delta.com/whatsahead for more information on this today.

We hope you enjoy this one as we have recieved a lot of feedback on it over time and want you to know that we hear your comments.
So how will we get the Medallion and companion listed for already booked LUT tickets (same PNR) which weren't originally because the second passenger was non-status?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: DL Silver, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver
Nevermind - went into the one itin I have with my wife as companion and there was now a checkbox to request the upgrade and when you check it a submit button appears. ^ to DL on this small change and it seems getting the IT right on it to make it easy.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by raehl311
I mean, are you seriously suggesting that someone who flies 25k a year should have priority over the companion of someone who flies 125k a year?
Yup, that's what I'm seriously suggesting. Someone who is a 25K/year customer is still a better customer than your companion.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Unless they revert to the old NW method of allowing companions to upgrade at the same window as the top tier traveling partner, this is really just lip service. No one will get two upgrades at the 12 hour mark, unless it's early morning travel on Christmas Day.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: Delta DM

We hope you enjoy this one as we have received a lot of feedback on it over time and want you to know that we hear your comments.

This is wonderful news and keep up the great advancements. Now please change the International upgrade policy for us Diamonds so we can upgrade off any fair like our competition.Then we will truly have the *BEST IN CLASS* Program hands down and no other FF Program will be able to compare to what SM has to offer. I am sure you will then see other top elites Status match to DL rather than the other way around.

Great Job Delta! Keep it up!
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX

Great job, Delta! Thanks for the perk.

Not that it'll matter for me and my upgrade successes when we're BOTH GOLD... but it's nice to know it's there.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Blank Sheet
Excellent! Another small give back on a perk taken away.

Thanks OHDL1 for the update. How's "Ready-Reserve" life? I think that's what you called it.
+1 this give back would certainly be welcomed
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Given the Delta's recent announcements that medallion benefits will be extended only to PAX on the same PRN as a medallion any thoughts of split PRN for upgrades is moot.

LUT inclusion aside, currently what happens is the status of the lowest person is used. Seriously do folks really think Delta is going to change it??? Look how many other IT issues they have to deal with that are much more serious and fundamental to keeping flyers happy.

That said I am curious to know how many folks actually roll the dice and try for an upgrade or split the PRN ? My guess is that given the demand for upgrades that the majority of folks split the PRN as for many, one known seat in the front is better than a poor chance at two.

BTW Speculation aside - do you folks really think that medallions are going to be happy if a non status companion gets an upgrade over them? Which is why I think the program is set up the way it is. If we want to speculate it would seem to me that companions should fight it out for the table scraps after all medallions have been upgraded. I.e, clear the medallions first as usual (sans companion) then clear non status companions using the same criteria used to clear the medallions.

i.e. Ranking:

Medallion #1
Medallion #2
Medallion #3

Medallion #1 - companion
Medallion #2 - companion
Medallion #3 - companion

Companions would always be cleared at the gate. And if an upgraded medallion really needs to sit with their companion who was not upgraded they can always give up their seat latter.

This scheme would preserve the medallion benefit while fairly extending to a companion. And most of all avoid having to play the split PRN game.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mike_plat
SMI, thank you, but you know what tons of us are far more interested in:

1. Fixing the SWU's
2. Increasing low-mileage award availability
i like this better than number 1. good job delta. :P

but yeah, number 2...

Originally Posted by raehl311
I mean, are you seriously suggesting that someone who flies 25k a year should have priority over the companion of someone who flies 125k a year?
when the companion doesn't have status? yup.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL-DM, PC-PM
Honestly, this is smoke and mirrors if they don't do it the NWA way. Sure, they may be eligible for an upgrade now, but will they ever get it?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Thanks OHDL1 & SMI! I agree with most here that this won't amount to many (if any) upgrades for companions, but the ability to be on the list is a big plus! ^

Originally Posted by BNAChairman
Unless they revert to the old NW method of allowing companions to upgrade at the same window as the top tier traveling partner, this is really just lip service. No one will get two upgrades at the 12 hour mark, unless it's early morning travel on Christmas Day.
I tend to agree with this generally, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that my wife & I had cleared at 12 hours out over the weekend. Saturday evening, MEM-MCO, oversold by 10ish. Obviously, mostly once / year leisure travelers, but it was still a pleasant surprise.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know if this would have any affect on the availablity of upgrade for the 'Free Companion Ticket' you get from AMEX? Those tickets have a purchase restriction of L U or T and so was never eligible for companion upgrades. Wonder if those will become eligible too now...
Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by mike_plat
I actually do not believe that one Medallion member's companion upgrade should come at the expense of another Medallion member's upgrade.
I agree, while I did like having the benefit, I don't think it is fair to other medallions.

That being said, since DL devalued Diamond by giving Plat's unlimited award changes it would make up for this to have Diamond companions clear at the 5 day window

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.