What is the value of 1 skymile

Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Clubcarlson Silver
What is the value of 1 skymile

I am looking at reedeeming some of my miles and see an offer of 120k miles + ($150 Tax) for travel between US and India in business class. If I equate 1skymile = 1cent, it puts me at about $1350 for a RT between US and India which seems like a pretty good deal.

Wonder if this has been addressed in a different forum or if someone has calculated what the dollar(or cent) value of a single skymile.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
$.000000001
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG
Considering I can get intra-asia for 20k on a ticket that would be $700-$800, I would value 120k at $4900-$5600. Ultimately, you need to decide the value of a SM.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Well the actual cash value to most folk is about 1 cpm. I always try to get 2 cpm for coach, and at least 3 cpm for biz class. I often get values of 4-6 cpm on biz awards.

Getting the biz award, of course, can be the hard part. DL can be pretty miserly with low level awards. If you can find a partner for the award, you'll often get it for low level.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
There is no easy or fixed answer.

If you use 25k miles instead of buying a $800 ticket, then you get one value. If you use 40k to get a ticket that is available for $180, you get a different value.

If you have miles coming out your rear and can not spend them fast enough, the value to you is different than somebody who is at only 25k miles and wants to use it for an expensive domestic trip.

Some people would take those miles and get two tickets in coach, meaning much different value than you getting one ticket, but in business.

Bottom line - what is it worth to you?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by gree0411
I would value 120k at $4900-$5600.
<Pssst> Hey you. Yeah, you! I got some Skymiles here. They're worth $5000, but for you, what a deal I got. Only $3999.00. I take cash, and cash. Oh, and yeah, I got a bridge too for sale.

That may be what kind of value you're getting out of them, but certainly not what you would pay for the miles. Just this week, they were offering 25k in DL miles for $350. Which by your method would be worth $1000. In fact, it took them quite awhile to actually sell the miles, since most DL flyers know how hard it can be to redeem for intl biz awards.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Clubcarlson Silver
What further makes the deal special is for the same travel dates, the Delta award booking system shows coach at 135K miles + Tax on delta metal, where as business shows as 120k+tax on AF metal.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.175 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by atl_gsp
What further makes the deal special is for the same travel dates, the Delta award booking system shows coach at 135K miles + Tax on delta metal, where as business shows as 120k+tax on AF metal.
I do believe that there is no question, for me at least, as I have always found AF J to be very nice and the staff at CDG are also pleasant if you are in J.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
To me, this is a no brainer. While others above correctly point out ways you can value miles, imho, you're not going to do much better than 120k for J to India. Grab it!
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
3.14159 cents. The square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the opposite sides.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
1 zimbabwean dollar
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by fgirard
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.175 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I do believe that there is no question, for me at least, as I have always found AF J to be very nice and the staff at CDG are also pleasant if you are in J.
I find AF J to be lacking compared to DL or NW (last year) on the same route. I have flown AF J to both Asia and Europe and they don't hold a candle to DL in terms of in-flight service. Rude and lack-of is how I would describe AF J service. Equipment-wise I would say they are equal but I pick flights based on equipment and schedule so I avoid flights without the newer lay-flat seats.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:03 pm

I am looking at reedeeming some of my miles and see an offer of 120k miles + ($150 Tax) for travel between US and India in business class. If I equate 1skymile = 1cent, it puts me at about $1350 for a RT between US and India which seems like a pretty good deal.

Wonder if this has been addressed in a different forum or if someone has calculated what the dollar(or cent) value of a single skymile.
Leaving aside unusual situations, since Delta will sell you miles at 2.8 cents each, that is the upper value.

As a rule of thumb, I want at least a penny a mile and try to get over two.

As far as the value in flying Delta to India, I do not put much value on it. I find the routing poor and the service average. Much more money, but Qatar is the way to go in Business if someone is paying. If not, then you are doing well.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:11 pm

If you could redeem miles in J on Jet Airways for 120k+taxes for Friday departure and Sunday return, that's as good as it could get for travel to India. I have done it multiple times with NW, pre-merger. I am unable to repeat the success now.

Going by the taxes you are paying, you are making a connection in India to reach your final destination. Going by your FT handle, you are based out of ATL. Both cases apply to me as well. I have to make a connection in India to get to my destination (no skyteam presence in my destination airport in India) and I am based out of ATL. Could you share your routing, airlines, dates, origin and destination so that I can fish out something for my travels? Did you see the availability online or did you have to call? PM me if required.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL, IB
Redeemed F on SQ with 140K Skymiles US-Asia. Paid ticket would have been about $13,300 + taxes/surcharges. For that trip, 1 SM was worth $ 0.095. As others have said, YMMV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.