Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Award Fees: Effective 6/2, they be changin'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Fees: Effective 6/2, they be changin'

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:18 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
This is almost a year & a half too late. Fix low-award availability & cut the mumbo jumbo about a revenue-based program & we'll start to reconsider. Meanwhile, we're quite happy with CO/UA & WN.
You know, it's sad, but when I first saw the title of this thread I thought it must be more bad news, then I read the OP and I really thought someone was trying to play a trick on me (no offense intended OP). I still didn't believe it was true until I went to the Delta website and saw it for myself. And indeed, I'm still a little nervous in the back of my mind that at some point the increased Platinum benefits will go away.

If Delta had just limited the damage (from this customer's perspective) to where it is today with the $150 fees for changes to sub-Platinum members (still too high imo, but at least as a Plat I don't have to pay it) AND kept a decent amount of low tier award availability I'd probably still be flying Delta / NW exclusively. Now it's too late. Best I could possibly now do this year would be requalify as a Gold on Delta next year. Meanwhile I'm on my way to AA Platinum and at least CO silver for next year.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:35 am
k2

Good news, I guess; but yet another recent DL trial that resulted in error, and more evidence that what appears to be "strategy" out of DL HQ is in fact random button pushing.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by mooper
Not for those of us who have been patient. I've been redeeming dozens of low/saver awards annually, even through the transition period, and enjoying the many DL perks for upper elites that trump other programs along the way. I suspect the remaining weaknesses - the buggy calendar and related difficulties in finding low/saver availability (for elites, it's still quite good... it's just that the calendar doesn't display it readily) will be fixed/improved this summer. I'll bet they will even improve inventory for all levels and throw in some other enhancements as well (like getting rid of the silly restriction prohibiting medallion award inventory being booked for others unless the medallion member is traveling with them).
If it weren't for those of us who weren't "patient", chances are that this backsliding never would have happened.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
If it weren't for those of us who weren't "patient", chances are that this backsliding never would have happened.
Very true. Let's hope they get the hint about award calendar and availability sooner than this...AND...this is one of those things that can really turn some heads. Why in the world (no offense to the OP) wouldn't SMI come break the news themselves before we find the link on the site under the table?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by CGNC
Very true. Let's hope they get the hint about award calendar and availability sooner than this...AND...this is one of those things that can really turn some heads. Why in the world (no offense to the OP) wouldn't SMI come break the news themselves before we find the link on the site under the table?
The original change (no more free changes for Plats) arrived (at least for us NW flyers) buried in a marketing blurb in January, 2009. Do you expect anything more direct now?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
A bit late for them since I suspect I am not the only Delta Plat that shifted my business to Star Alliance. Now if they wanted to win me back, they would offer me a free year of Plat in 2011, noticing that I have not flown a SINGLE revenue flight with them this year, instead burnt the majority of my miles... as smartly as possible (its amazing to note how the foreign city originating surcharge is not charged by most agents...)
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by skoker
  • The award redeposit and reissue fee will increase from $100 to $150
    o The $100 reissue fee will continue to apply for award tickets purchased on/before June 1
    o The $150 redeposit fee applies beginning June 2nd regardless of the date of the original ticket purchase
Wow, they gave with one hand, and majorly, majorly took away with the other.

$150 to change a free ticket? Despicable.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Perkchoice to be coming back!

They are reinstituting Perkchoice!!!!! Yeah! ^ ^ ^

Now that is a real improvement over the silly "pay with miles" scheme.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by secretsea18

Now THAT is a good change if true.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Assuming DL doesn't do a switcharoo website thing like they did with the award fees a month or two ago, I'm assuming this is sticking.

If so, finally some ^ to DL. They are getting it. As mooper indicated, if they fix the award calendar and availability issues then they for sure have me as a loyal customer. This goes a long way to making me as a PM happy.

At the same time, this change only convinces me that the blaming of award seats before on PM's for holding and canceling was a bunch of hog wash (not that I ever bought it). Heck, with the removal of that benefit I've seen a lot less availability, so I'm convinced lack of it isn't because of PM's.

Either case, good move on DL and hopefully not too late in terms of losing elites.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Good move Delta - I'm glad to see some positive direction.

Not that I want to look a gift horse in the mouth but 3 suggestions:

1. Give the FOs a lower fee on direct ticketing/same day - maybe half price. They are feeling rather unloved right now and could use a boost.
2. Give GM and FO a discounted rate on redeposit - there really should be a difference between them and the General member on a a mileage fee.
3. Direct ticketing should be waived until the award engine issues are fixed. Reservations should cross charge IT for letting this fester.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by judolphin
Wow, they gave with one hand, and majorly, majorly took away with the other.

$150 to change a free ticket? Despicable.
+1

What's the amount of time that a schedule has to change (2 hours?) which is usually enough to totally touch up your whole trip, when it's free to re-book/cancel?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by secretsea18

Originally Posted by judolphin
Now THAT is a good change if true.
That would really help take the sting off high cost of SkyPesos redemption, but I was told late 2011 for return of something similar to PerkChoice.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
I agree that legitimate, logical complaints probably hastened some changes, but given enough time, revenues will eventually provide the best feedback. It's the slew of unwarranted whining and emotion that I have a problem with and is counterproductive because it drowns out the rational criticism.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
That would really help take the sting off high cost of SkyPesos redemption, but I was told late 2011 for return of something similar to PerkChoice.
Perkchoice is listed on the DL website (posted above) as returning in .... 2011.

While that is a long way away, it is on the radar.

Additionally, I saw that the regular flight booking screen added two new options:
1. Check nearby airports. ^
2. I am flexible for weekends.

And it remembered my airports and dates when I went back. ^
Almost a functional dl.com. Amazing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.