Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Penny a Mile Through Delta Marketplace a Decent Alternative?

Penny a Mile Through Delta Marketplace a Decent Alternative?

Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IC Amb, Citi Prestige
Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
You have to have status or be a DL AMEX cardholder. I just checked another account that didn't have either and the option was not given.
I swear I saw GCs a few months ago...
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:07 am
HCA

The GC option is gone? (how about Elite or DL AMEX card holders?)

I already cash out most of my miles and canceled my DL AMEX.
I have access to family's DL gold based outside of US and the GC option is not offered.

[I also cash out to GC lots of miles few months ago.]

Last edited by HCA; Jul 25, 2010 at 4:10 pm
Old Mar 29, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: DL DM | 1 Million Miler
I'm going to revive this thread because I was trying to find a good rate for my miles in the marketplace, since I would rather earn the MQMs than use miles to pay for it.

So, is the rate to aim for about $0.01/mile? I'm trying to take some time off from work to go to a conference in YVR, but the flight is $300 USD more if I flew into SEA. I thought I could rent a car, drive a scenic route (I hope) north to YVR. My quote from National is about $505 for a week, and it's about 29k miles on the marketplace, which puts it at $0.017/mile. Is that good you guys think?

Also, to confirm with the other people in this thread, when I logged out the Bose Quiet Comfort headphones displayed on the front page was going for 68100 miles, but when you're logged in it's 34100 miles. That's a dramatic difference.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by mfong
Also, to confirm with the other people in this thread, when I logged out the Bose Quiet Comfort headphones displayed on the front page was going for 68100 miles, but when you're logged in it's 34100 miles. That's a dramatic difference.
FYI, there was a recent piece in the Wall Street Journal that explained the 'price' differences are based not just on Medallion status, but on whether you have a DL Amex card or not (and what level card it is). The Bose headphones are specifically referenced.

WSJ article link
Old Mar 29, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL DM | 1 Million Miler
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
FYI, there was a recent piece in the Wall Street Journal that explained the 'price' differences are based not just on Medallion status, but on whether you have a DL Amex card or not (and what level card it is). The Bose headphones are specifically referenced.

WSJ article link
Sweet, thanks for the link. I was too embarrassed to say that I was an FO, because I thought it was based on status as well. However, after doing some research on FT, I decided to fly with DL and got the DL Reserve card. So far it has been paying off, and after learning about the deeper discounts that I could get through the Marketplace, the Reserve card is definitely worth it.

Thanks again for the link.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.