Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Penny a Mile Through Delta Marketplace a Decent Alternative?

Penny a Mile Through Delta Marketplace a Decent Alternative?

Old May 28, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Does everyone pay the same price for hotel and car rentals?
I have never specifically compared, but it seems so. However, with wonderful DL hidden "discrimination" you will never know.
Old May 28, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
Does everyone pay the same price for hotel and car rentals?
I just tried a hotel search for SDF, check-in June 12 and check-out June 13. I did not log in on Safari. I did log in on Firefox. I have no elite status but have a Delta Gold AmEx.

I got the same mileage levels for the hotels on the first page, so that's one data point for the same price.

Not logged in, I can't find the gift cards - there's no option on the left side of the screen. Logged in, I get gift cards at 5K per $50.
Old May 28, 2010, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

I had the same result comparing my son's no-status account, with my account (Gold Medallion + Amex.)

I also noted that the non-status account showing significantly higher prices for the merchandise items - Nintendo Wii Bundle - 35,400/58,900, Canon Powershot SD960 - 99,800/59,900

You'd have to be nuts to do the merchandise under any scenario, the SD960 at a penny a mile would be $599 at the lower (Amex/Elite) award level, it is $199 on Amazon.

So it seems that if you do not have access to the gift cards at a penny a mile, the hotels still give you the penny a mile, and would give the best value.

Originally Posted by ramolnar
I just tried a hotel search for SDF, check-in June 12 and check-out June 13. I did not log in on Safari. I did log in on Firefox. I have no elite status but have a Delta Gold AmEx.

I got the same mileage levels for the hotels on the first page, so that's one data point for the same price.

Not logged in, I can't find the gift cards - there's no option on the left side of the screen. Logged in, I get gift cards at 5K per $50.
Old May 28, 2010, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M

But, there are various redemption opportunities at Skymiles Marketplace where you do get a true penny per mile - including gift cards (at places people really shop like Macys, the Gap)
I recently looked at the marketplace and didn't see any GC, I did a search and didn't see any, may I know how to look? Links would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old May 28, 2010, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmichaeljordan
Marketplace worked well for me also as I booked 3 nights at the J W Marriot in New Orleans (memorial day weekend) for 25512 miles.^
What was the equivalent cost for a paid resv?
Old May 28, 2010, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
What was the equivalent cost for a paid resv?
I think they book it through Travelocity, so it's the same price as travelocity charges.
Old May 28, 2010, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

I am pretty sure, from looking at urls streaming by the bottom of my browser, that it is a private label booking engine provided by:

http://www.ezrez.com/

Originally Posted by al613
I think they book it through Travelocity, so it's the same price as travelocity charges.
Old May 28, 2010, 4:29 pm

I am pretty sure, from looking at urls streaming by the bottom of my browser, that it is a private label booking engine provided by:

http://www.ezrez.com/

It looks like travelocity and it seems it is:

http://www.ezrez.com/suppliers/index.php
Old May 28, 2010, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Not to beat a dead horse, but Travelocity is just one of 27 "sample" suppliers listed on the page you link to below.

Originally Posted by al613
It looks like travelocity and it seems it is:

http://www.ezrez.com/suppliers/index.php
Old May 28, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Not logging in will not show gift cards. I am unsure if you need status to redeem for a gift card.

Delta PM will get you a gift card at 6K points for $50. It seems as if the AMEX is what gets you the lower cost.

Is this a decent alternative? Perhaps. As one poster already said, it really depends on your situation. I just cashed in 36,000 miles for 3x$50 gift cards at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for a wedding gift and 3x$50 gift cards at Barnes and Noble's to take care of my books for the fall semester.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:51 am

Programs: DL DM
So it looks as though the giftcard costs have risen...

I am now seeing most GCs at 31,000 for $250 - another sign of deflationary pressure on the value of our SkyMiles?

Or did somebody at DL read this thread....
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:55 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by crispy116
So it looks as though the giftcard costs have risen...

I am now seeing most GCs at 31,000 for $250 - another sign of deflationary pressure on the value of our SkyMiles?

Or did somebody at DL read this thread....
Sorry, should have read the thread more thoroughly - this had been discovered.

Yet another great example of DL best in class - don't offer the best rate to your best customers, offer it to customers that have your credit card.

I wouldn't mind, but this card is not available to non-US residents...great way to round out the program.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IC Amb, Citi Prestige
Originally Posted by SomeGuy
Not logging in will not show gift cards. I am unsure if you need status to redeem for a gift card.

Delta PM will get you a gift card at 6K points for $50. It seems as if the AMEX is what gets you the lower cost.

Is this a decent alternative? Perhaps. As one poster already said, it really depends on your situation. I just cashed in 36,000 miles for 3x$50 gift cards at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for a wedding gift and 3x$50 gift cards at Barnes and Noble's to take care of my books for the fall semester.
Where are you guys seeing the Gift Certs? I am logged in with my account and 36,000 miles but cannot see ANY Gift Certs in the marketplace. Am I looking at the wrong place?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by irotem
Where are you guys seeing the Gift Certs? I am logged in with my account and 36,000 miles but cannot see ANY Gift Certs in the marketplace. Am I looking at the wrong place?
You have to have status or be a DL AMEX cardholder. I just checked another account that didn't have either and the option was not given.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
You have to have status or be a DL AMEX cardholder. I just checked another account that didn't have either and the option was not given.
Is it always a cent a mile or is that rate given during some special?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.