International Travel with Child/Infant

Old May 26, 10, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
International Travel with Child/Infant

Hello-

I read on the Delta website that:

(1) if you travel domestically with a child UNDER 2 years of age, the child travels for free, but doesn't get a seat...

(2) if you travel domestically with a child 2 years or older, you have to pay regular price for the child's seat and they get a ticket...

(3) if you travel internationally with a child (of any age), you pay a "reduced fare" based on the child's age...

How do you find out more about the "child's fare" for international tickets? Also, does the child get a seat?

Thanks!
Old May 26, 10, 2:33 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA 1K/MM; AA EXP; DL SM/MM; HH DIA; AClub, PC Plat; MR Gold
The only time you get a seat for a child/infant is if you pay a regular fare. For children <2 years old, they can sit on your lap free domestically, or for about 10% of the regular fare (in the same cabin of service) for int'l travel. Probably the only way to book this is by phone.
Old May 26, 10, 5:29 am

Programs: Delta Gold
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT View Post
Hello-

How do you find out more about the "child's fare" for international tickets? Also, does the child get a seat?
On some of Delta's partners internationally you can get a reduced-priced child fare ticket, but you generally have to call (or book online) with the other airline to get the child fare, rather than going through Delta. KLM, for example, discounts children's fares about 25%, but I can't get the discounts through Delta--I have to book my ticket and the child's on the same PNR through KLM.

And the only time a child doesn't get a seat is when flying as a lap infant. Flying on a child fare gets you the seat.
Old May 26, 10, 10:40 am

Programs: AA/BA/DL/US Air
This pretty well sums it up.Child Fare Be aware of two things. 1) The child's age is the age at the time of return; 2)10% fee is determined at the time you PAY the fee. If you wait and pay upon arrival at the airport, you might very well pay 10% of the walk up price. In my experience, even the TA cannot give you the child's price when you book. They will send the ticket to another desk and usually takes several days to process. They will send you a printed ticket which you must take with you. No e-Ticket for child on 10% ticket. You can request a bulkhead seat upon arrival at the Gate, and a bassinet (?) for the child to seat in. There is no guarantee of either being issued to you. Only the GA can issue these or so I've been told.
Old May 26, 10, 11:28 am

Programs: DL PM
ITA should be able to price out infant tickets and you can purchase them via Orbitz or Expedia. But keep in mind that 10% of the adult fare actually means 10% plus taxes, fuel surcharges, etc. So you can end up paying quite a bit and have your child on your lap for hours, esp. if you don't get a bassinet.

As for child fares, I bought tickets to Europe for myself and my 3 year old on Orbitz recently (all DL coded) and the child discount was something like 10% off my adult fare. Not great, but better than nothing.
Old May 26, 10, 12:14 pm

You can't actually purchase infant lap tickets online even though the online sites seem to offer that option. Lap infants on Delta are always have a paper ticket, which means no online check-in for the babe and accompanying parent.

I've never been able to get a child fare on Delta or Orbitz. The option is there but the pricing is the same whether for 2 adults or 1 adult and 1 child.
Old May 26, 10, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL AMEX Plat
I travel regularly JFK-BRU with my family and on that route (and most TATL routes I believe) there are no child fares. So it's either pay full adult fare for a seat, or pay 10% of the applicable fare (at time of booking!) plus full tax to keep your child in your lap.

Also note that if you book your child as a lap child for international flights you get:
- A paper ticket
- Mandatory check in with an agent. You can't do online or curbside check in, so you will need more time at the airport.

We used to book a seat for our baby and then used a car seat to keep the baby restrained and our hands free. And she always felt comfortable in her car seat. But now she's a bit older and just want to be in our hands... so now we book her as a lap child.
Old May 26, 10, 1:26 pm

Hello-

I read on the Delta website that:

(1) if you travel domestically with a child UNDER 2 years of age, the child travels for free, but doesn't get a seat...

(2) if you travel domestically with a child 2 years or older, you have to pay regular price for the child's seat and they get a ticket...

(3) if you travel internationally with a child (of any age), you pay a "reduced fare" based on the child's age...

Thanks!
A couple already highlighted that for lap child on intl is 10% plus taxes and fees, some destinations have high taxes and when the base fare is low it doesn't make sense.
Old May 26, 10, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by robert4travels View Post
I travel regularly JFK-BRU with my family and on that route (and most TATL routes I believe) there are no child fares.

I think it depends on the destination and/or fare class. For this summer I bought tickets in U to SOF and there was a modest discount for a child (>2 years); previous trips in T (to NUE and DUS) had no discounts.
Old May 26, 10, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
I travel regularly JFK-BRU with my family and on that route (and most TATL routes I believe) there are no child fares. So it's either pay full adult fare for a seat, or pay 10% of the applicable fare (at time of booking!) plus full tax to keep your child in your lap.

Also note that if you book your child as a lap child for international flights you get:
- A paper ticket
- Mandatory check in with an agent. You can't do online or curbside check in, so you will need more time at the airport.

We used to book a seat for our baby and then used a car seat to keep the baby restrained and our hands free. And she always felt comfortable in her car seat. But now she's a bit older and just want to be in our hands... so now we book her as a lap child.
Thanks for this information. This is exactly what I needed to know.

A follow-up, if I may: the paper ticket and mandatory check-in, I understand, but how do you actually purchase the ticket?

If myself, my wife, and the baby were traveling together, internationally... would I have to buy all three tickets over the phone? Or is that only if I am doing the 10%/lap child ticket?
Old May 26, 10, 2:36 pm

If you are purchasing a seat for your infant, you can book everything online and it works as it normally would.

If you are doing a lap infant, you can purchase your two adult seats online and then call in to have the lap infant added to the reservation. At that point, you'll be charged the lap infant prices and Delta will mail you a paper ticket. (Be sure to allow enough time to get the paper ticket in that case.) In my experience, everyone traveling on the PNR will have to check in with the agent at the airport.
Old May 26, 10, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL AMEX Plat
A follow-up, if I may: the paper ticket and mandatory check-in, I understand, but how do you actually purchase the ticket?

If myself, my wife, and the baby were traveling together, internationally... would I have to buy all three tickets over the phone? Or is that only if I am doing the 10%/lap child ticket?
Best thing to do is to book your own flight online on delta.com or your favorite 3rd party travel website. In this way you will avoid the Delta phone booking fee, and it's easier to pick the routing and the fare you want. Then once you have your confirmation number call Delta and say that you want to add a lap child to your reservation. The agent will then book your child and have a paper ticket issued, which you will receive home in a couple of days (or need to pick up at the airport if the flight is on short notice). No fee will be charged for this.

You will know that your lap child is registered when you look at your itinerary on delta.com and under special services you see "Infant in arms".
Old May 26, 10, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta Gold :-( KLM Gold HH Diamond
Best thing to do is to book your own flight online on delta.com or your favorite 3rd party travel website. In this way you will avoid the Delta phone booking fee, and it's easier to pick the routing and the fare you want. Then once you have your confirmation number call Delta and say that you want to add a lap child to your reservation. The agent will then book your child and have a paper ticket issued, which you will receive home in a couple of days (or need to pick up at the airport if the flight is on short notice). No fee will be charged for this.

You will know that your lap child is registered when you look at your itinerary on delta.com and under special services you see "Infant in arms".
Please though, do remember that as one of the other posters said that the 10% is not based on the low ticket you bought, but can be a higher fare ticket. So it's not really 10%, plus with all the taxes.

Also, be aware that bassinets (IF you get them) have weight and height restrictions. You did not mention how old your baby was, but basically we had tried one 9 months old and it worked fine, but at 18 months she was reaching the height restriction, plus during turbulence we were asked to wake the baby up and keep them in our arms (over the top in my opinion).

I would call and make the reservation, and ask to be waived the booking fee since it's not your fault that you can't book the infant seat online.

WHIW, In my experience, KLM is SO much better with kids than Delta.

Best of luck.
Old May 26, 10, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I have my answers now.

See, THIS is what I love about FlyerTalk and why this is a great site... the advice given from one traveler to another.

Thanks again!
Old May 27, 10, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Further question:

Both my wife and I are Gold Medallions... If we did the "baby in lap" ticket for the baby (domestically), can we still be upgraded on a Medallion Upgrade? (either in advance or at the gate...)

If we bought the baby a seat... can it be upgraded with us as a companion?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: