Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Travel with Child/Infant

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Just added an infant to a DL award on AF from DFW-CDG-LHR. The agent said there is no cost and the reservation now has my son's details and a unique ticket number. I have never added an infant for free. Is this possible or should I call another agent to check if everything was done correctly?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
mnredfox, there used to be some D1 seats that precluded lap children due to the airbag in the seatbelt. Might want to verify this in advance.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My understanding is that it's 10% of the fare plus 100% of the applicable taxes for the cabin in which you will be sitting, using the best fare available at the time the infant ticket is purchased. In particular, if you upgrade to D1 with GUCs, the lap infant should pay 10% of a business class fare, although I'm not sure what would happen if you were upgraded at the gate. (My guess is that the GA wouldn't bother due to time constraints.) I'm also not sure how fuel surcharges or other carrier imposed fees are treated. It should also be a real ticket with a ticket number and receipt, and not just some notes on the reservation.

BTW, congrats on the baby.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by exwannabe
mnredfox, there used to be some D1 seats that precluded lap children due to the airbag in the seatbelt. Might want to verify this in advance.
This is my understanding. Also, airbags need to be disabled (which might not be possible) to use a car seat, which also seems to be prohibited if the seats are angled sufficiently (herringbone or reverse herringbone configuration). There could be additional rules if a "cares" restraint will be used.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW, congrats on the baby.
Assuming this was meant for me - so thank you.

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Hmmm, didn't know this. We are on a A333. Would all seats in D1 on this plane have airbag or would only some of the seats? Same with other planes, is this a plane thing or specific seat thing? Also, who would know to verify? DM agent? TA, GA? So many clueless agents I'm nervous I'm going to end up on the plane and walked into Y.

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Just added an infant to a DL award on AF from DFW-CDG-LHR. The agent said there is no cost and the reservation now has my son's details and a unique ticket number. I have never added an infant for free. Is this possible or should I call another agent to check if everything was done correctly?
Wow, never heard of this. Every agent I talked to said there indeed was a fee. Maybe due to AF metal only? Might want to check with AF to be sure.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
We have used a GUC several times when flying with a lap child. The price is 10% of the base fare plus fees...we were confirmed immediately into D1 when we booked, so we paid the lap child charge on the D1 base fare. It ended up being under $200. Please note that if you pay for economy with the lap child and get upgraded later (and don’t pay the additional fee), Delta can charge you more when you check in, which is usually 10% of a walk up J fare! Tickets are electronic now for lap child tickets and will show up in the app.

You do not get any extra luggage allowance, but the car seat and stroller will fly free.

For the potential seatbelt issue, we have flown in the A330, 767, and 757 in D1 with a lap child without any issues.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Hmmm, didn't know this. We are on a A333. Would all seats in D1 on this plane have airbag or would only some of the seats? Same with other planes, is this a plane thing or specific seat thing? Also, who would know to verify? DM agent? TA, GA? So many clueless agents I'm nervous I'm going to end up on the plane and walked into Y.
Infant Air Travel

Where to Sit with a Child Safety Seat
When using a child safety seat, don’t select seats in the following areas:
  • Flatbed seats in the Delta One™ area of the following aircraft: Airbus A330-200 or A330-300; Boeing 777, 767 or 747 aircraft*

*Child Safety Seats are not permitted in this area since the airbag seat belt cannot be deactivated.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Wow, never heard of this. Every agent I talked to said there indeed was a fee. Maybe due to AF metal only? Might want to check with AF to be sure.
There's no issue with a lap infant. The issue is for infants in car seats. The method that turns the airbag off is by use of an extension belt. This isn't allowed with a car seat.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's no issue with a lap infant. The issue is for infants in car seats. The method that turns the airbag off is by use of an extension belt. This isn't allowed with a car seat.
Perfect thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:50 am

Of course it's meant for you. In fact, if you're willing, I'd love to hear some details, for instance in the DL lounge thread (please).

Don't forget to make sure that you pick a seat/row with an extra oxygen mask for the baby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.