Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Travel with Child/Infant

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 2:28 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Don't know if it is still true, but infant fares are usually 10%. There used to be fixtures for a bassinet in the bulkhead rows in Y and in F. This was a pretty comfortable ride for the infant. It used to be possible for infants to earn miles.... our oldest daughter had NW Gold (highest tier at the time) before she was 6 months old. Don't know if this is still true. Infants are not particularly appreciated by your fellow passengers in F and C on long international flights.
Old May 27, 2010, 5:41 am

Programs: Delta Gold
I don't know about companion upgrades, but I've been upgraded domestically with a lap infant several times. It works in the usual way--but makes a huge difference in terms of comfort. The bulkhead seats are particularly nice as a baby gets a little more mobile. There's enough room for a babe to sit or stand and play in front of you and no kicking of other passengers' seats.
Old May 27, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by delayedinLGA
Please though, do remember that as one of the other posters said that the 10% is not based on the low ticket you bought, but can be a higher fare ticket. So it's not really 10%, plus with all the taxes.
If you call Delta the same day when you book your own ticket to add the lap child to your reservation, then my experience is that the 10% is still of the fare you paid yourself. Of course it could be that the fare you booked is now sold out and you fall into a higher fare or fare class, but then we talk $5-$20 more for your infant lap ticket and not hundreds of dollars more.

Of course you should not wait until the day of departure to add your lap child to your reservation, because then you pay 10% of the walk-up fare, and then it could be hundreds of dollars more. But why would you do that if you know you and your child will be flying?

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Further question:

Both my wife and I are Gold Medallions... If we did the "baby in lap" ticket for the baby (domestically), can we still be upgraded on a Medallion Upgrade? (either in advance or at the gate...)

If we bought the baby a seat... can it be upgraded with us as a companion?
For domestic upgrades that question has already been answered by daregale. But since this thread is about international travel, note that on international legs there are no complimentary upgrades for medallions. The only chance for upgrade is an OP-UP if Y is oversold, or if you use miles or SWU's to upgrade from an Y,B or M fare. See the myriad of other posts here about international upgrades.

But if you fly a domestic leg before an international one, then on the domestic leg you can get upgraded.

Last edited by robert4travels; May 27, 2010 at 7:54 am Reason: Spelling error
Old May 27, 2010, 10:07 am

bassinet

This is a little OT. I have flown on two international flights where I was seated near an infant. On both flights (Air France and Turkish Air) a bassinet was provided by the airlines and it was amazing. The baby was able to sleep and so could the neighboring pax. I would not fly any airline that did not provide this service I do not know if Delta does, but I have never seen it on Delta.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by daregale
I don't know about companion upgrades, but I've been upgraded domestically with a lap infant several times. It works in the usual way--but makes a huge difference in terms of comfort. The bulkhead seats are particularly nice as a baby gets a little more mobile. There's enough room for a babe to sit or stand and play in front of you and no kicking of other passengers' seats.
Good to know! Thanks!

So, for the upgrades (domestically), the baby just goes along with the parent and doesn't have to be treated as a "companion", right? Good to know!
Old May 27, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Good to know! Thanks!

So, for the upgrades (domestically), the baby just goes along with the parent and doesn't have to be treated as a "companion", right? Good to know!
If the baby has its own seat, it would be a companion, if "in arms" goes for free with parent.
Old May 27, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by secretsea18
If the baby has its own seat, it would be a companion, if "in arms" goes for free with parent.
Lap children (upgraded to first or not) is one of those things that bug me. In my years of travel, I have never gotten over the fact that parents are required (and would never dream of not) to put kids in car seats. What makes an airplane any different?
Old May 27, 2010, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by secretsea18
Thanks, exactly what I wanted to hear!
Old May 27, 2010, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Lap children (upgraded to first or not) is one of those things that bug me. In my years of travel, I have never gotten over the fact that parents are required (and would never dream of not) to put kids in car seats. What makes an airplane any different?
As a father of 2 I say: because planes are far more safer than cars. In a car I can drive safely myself but I can still be hit by someone else. That is very rare with planes.

When we use car seats it is out of convenience for us as parents, making our child comfortable as (s)he us used to sitting in a car seat, and out of our hands. It is not for safety reasons. On a recent flight our child was in a car seat but she was more in our arms than anything else. So next flight she will fly in our lap again.
trooper likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL GM
I am looking to fly CONUS to EZE this summer with my wife and 2 year old son. Delta doesn't allow for anything other than three full price tickets, but ITA prices out the child ticket as 87% of the cost of an adult ticket on same itinerary. Is this legit or is the only way to tell for sure to call?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Looking for help with any folks with experience.

Looking to travel internationally with an infant (less than 1 year old). Plan is to have in lap, no sky cots (though will take it if they have it). I understand DL policies is 10% of adult fare. Wife and I want to use GUC to UG. Here's my questions:

1. 10% of fare plus taxes means what? If we find a coach ticket for $898 all in will it be $89.80? I read online some folks said airlines interpreted as 10% of full (Y fare class) fare. Any truth to this?
2. If we use GUCs after purchasing the ticket, I assume we're not upping any infant fare to J prices? Seems one post suggests that is not the case - see thread here.
3. I assume baby with their own ticket gets no luggage allowance?

Thanks!

Other thread I read too...
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL PM
1. 10% of fare plus taxes means what? If we find a coach ticket for $898 all in will it be $89.80? I read online some folks said airlines interpreted as 10% of full (Y fare class) fare. Any truth to this?
.[/QUOTE]

Not quite. It's 10% of the base fare, plus the full taxes/fees. Let's say that $898 ticket is actually a $700 base price plus $198 in taxes/fees. For the child fare you'd pay 10% of $700, or $70, plus $198 taxes/fees, for a total of $268
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ncwillett
Not quite. It's 10% of the base fare, plus the full taxes/fees. Let's say that $898 ticket is actually a $700 base price plus $198 in taxes/fees. For the child fare you'd pay 10% of $700, or $70, plus $198 taxes/fees, for a total of $268[/QUOTE]

Got it, makes sense. Will wait for input on my other two original questions.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:53 pm

Called DL DM line regarding infant ticket and then UG selves with GUC (or thought of confirming GUC and then booking infant later):

Agent 1 says $107.13 with us booked in coach

Agent 2 says $99.13, and says won't make difference if we use GUC - confirms with three other DM agents

Agent 3 says no way, if we use GUC the new fee is $375. I ask about the one segment we would be WL and if we clear does infant pay more, swears we won't.

Confused as all can be...
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by Bicostal
In fact, in some jurisdictions car seats are prohibited on airplanes because of the safety risks they are perceived to pose in the event an evacuation is necessary. Argentina is one example that comes to mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.