DL to begin service to Monrovia (ROB)

Old May 25, 2010, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
DL to begin service to Monrovia (ROB)

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Delta-....html?x=0&.v=1

ATLANTA, May 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Delta Air Lines (NYSEAL - News) today announced new service between Atlanta and Monrovia, Liberia, expanding the airline's position as the leading U.S. carrier operating flights to Africa.

The new service, which is scheduled to begin Sept. 4, will connect Delta's hub at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and Roberts International Airport in Monrovia with a stop in Accra, Ghana. The flight will be operated on 215-seat Boeing 767-300ER aircraft, equipped with 34 BusinessElite seats and 181 seats in Economy.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
FInally!! Just about time from US government approval and pretty soon, DL will startup from ATL-ACC-ROB on operating 767-300ER aircraft. Is that only 1 weekly frequencies R/T, am I correct? I believe the routes will have enough more profitable. Obviously, DL will able adds more frequencies 2 or 3x weekly frequencies. I believe last time DL didn't have any approval but, TSA is denied approved due to security reasons.
Old May 25, 2010, 12:42 pm

I just checked and every flight from September through March is at the "High" rate for coach award tickets, not even a single medium. Some serious best in class there!
Old May 25, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by humanoid94
I just checked and every flight from September through March is at the "High" rate for coach award tickets, not even a single medium. Some serious best in class there!
Believe it or not, some flights are actually operated for profit and not just for award travel. Shocking, I know.
Old May 25, 2010, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Yes, but lots of medium BE seats (at least in 2011) available. (Ror ATL to ROB.)

Grab 'em before they're gone!

David
Old May 25, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc
The arrival in ATL at 0530 might be the first flight of the day to arrive ATL...

Also, last time I looked at a map, Monrovia is west of Accra, yet Accra is the first stop.
Old May 25, 2010, 3:03 pm

i wonder what the justification for that was.
Monrovia is a war torn city and definitely not a tourist destination. I don't even know any Liberians or have ever known any, so unlikely to have a whole lot traveling to the US.

Maybe a response to Brussels air service ??
Old May 25, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
I know that Monrovia has a lot of shipping ties from offshore registrations and is a bit like the Grand Cayman or Bermuda equivalent of the shipping world... There is also a lot of still emerging off-shore drilling projects being tabled for exploration of some of the significant offshore oil reserves...

But not really a tourism hotspot no...
Old May 25, 2010, 3:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Who wants a coach award seat?
Old May 25, 2010, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by libuser
i wonder what the justification for that was.
Monrovia is a war torn city and definitely not a tourist destination. I don't even know any Liberians or have ever known any, so unlikely to have a whole lot traveling to the US.

Maybe a response to Brussels air service ??
Long standing ties between US and Liberia (Liberia was an unofficial colony of the US), plus a large Liberian expat population in the United States, combined with a lot of NGO work in Liberia, and generally high fares make it a fairly reasonable route. Right now the only half-way decent way to get to Liberia from the states is on a combination of Somebody-Brussels-Monrovia on SN Brussels. It is a relatively expensive and inefficient route.

As someone who is inexplicably (for a kid from Michigan...) well connected to the Liberian expat community in DC, I can tell you that everyone knows about this upcoming flight and lots of people are excited about it.

I think this route will probably work for Delta, but time will tell.
Old May 25, 2010, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLNYC
Who wants a coach award seat?
Nope. Not for this time. Maybe next time.
Old May 25, 2010, 5:48 pm

humanoid is right on. There is a large Liberian population in the Atlanta area (even some of the president's family lives here).
Old May 25, 2010, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Great news indeed! ROB has undergone a serious overhaul in the past year since DL tried last time, so hopefully the TSA will give this one the go-ahead. ^ Guess the brand new shiny DL office in downtown Monrovia will now have planes to sell tickets on!

Those of you wondering why the routing is ATL-ACC-ROB and not the reverse have clearly never been to ACC or ROB. DL is building service at ACC with the new ATL service, and ACC has facilities for both catering and crew overnighting, neither of which are easily come by in ROB.

Interesting timing on the ACC-ROB legs, though, as it basically lines up with the KQ flight that currently continues to NBO. Wonder if KQ/DL plan on code sharing or if KQ will be dropping the tag on the days of week that DL decides to operate.

I was actually surprised to see the award level at medium. So far I'm the only one in the BE cabin on the inaugurals.

(Also, FWIW, those with shipping registries need not actually visit ROB. To my understanding, Liberia does business out of NYC for their rather large registered fleet.)
Old May 25, 2010, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might want to watch the video. IT was too messy and too much garbage is everywhere in Liberia. They are violate of the laws and they didn't clean it up the mess. I didn't like it in Liberia. It was trying to smoke with crack cocaine & heroin. I am really hate it there in Africa. You won't go there for awhile.

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-gui...liberia-3-of-8

There is more than 8 million Liberian populations who live in ROB. I am not sure how many people who lives there and they don't have enough money and does not have a food, water, medicine and there is no schools in Liberia. That's why it was very extremely poorest people who does not have a home and giving up a families.
Old May 25, 2010, 6:44 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by N830MH
You might want to watch the video. IT was too messy and too much garbage is everywhere in Liberia. They are violate of the laws and they didn't clean it up the mess. I didn't like it in Liberia. It was trying to smoke with crack cocaine & heroin. I am really hate it there in Africa. You won't go there for awhile.
Are you saying post-conflict nations don't deserve air service? I've got some videos of skid row I can show you too---should DL pull out of LAX?

(Responding appropriately to the ignorance conveyed in this post would violate the FT ToS and get me banned, so I'll leave it at that.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.