Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting rid of SkyMiles

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2010, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Getting rid of SkyMiles

I have 14,000 SkyMiles in my account. I've tried numerous times to use them for a one way ticket - but haven't had any luck. I never use Delta so is there a way to get rid of them to get money, gift certificates or other miles? I've looked at points.com but you can't swap out of SkyMiles nor do they offer any offers for redemption. The stuff on Delta Marketplace is nothing I'm interested in either. I've thought about putting them on ebay, but I'd have to sell for like $300 to make any money. Thanks for any suggestions!
Old May 18, 2010, 10:20 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
You haven't had any luck getting a one way ticket because there really is no such thing! You can book one way, but it still costs the same as a round trip - 25K miles is the minimum.

I don't know about the legality or logistics of selling them on eBay, but don't hold your breath waiting for $300. 14K miles is worth AT THE VERY VERY VERY MOST, $140.
Old May 18, 2010, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Cherbear013
I have 14,000 SkyMiles in my account. I've tried numerous times to use them for a one way ticket - but haven't had any luck. I never use Delta so is there a way to get rid of them to get money, gift certificates or other miles? I've looked at points.com but you can't swap out of SkyMiles nor do they offer any offers for redemption. The stuff on Delta Marketplace is nothing I'm interested in either. I've thought about putting them on ebay, but I'd have to sell for like $300 to make any money. Thanks for any suggestions!
Delta does not have One Way tickets is the reason why you're encountering problems.

Redeem of newspapers/magazines?

Marketplace has lots of stuff, surely you can find something for you or someone else.

If you put your account on eBay, it is likely that ther auction will be cancelled and your SkyMiles account will be closed (Delta is known to keep a very close eye on such listings._So you'd be left with nada. At the least, why not just get something off of marketplace and then putting it on eBay? you're at least getting something out of it.
Old May 19, 2010, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
_So you'd be left with nada. .
which is basically what the poster has right now

if it were me, i would post my next hampton in stay to dl and use the100 miles to extend for 18 months in hopes that maybe ow awards come about some day
Old May 19, 2010, 4:45 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
My suggestion would be to look at Skymiles marketplace and see what rates you're getting. I understand the gift card rates vary with level but with 14K miles you should be able to get at least $100 in gift cards or maybe a couple of nights at a good hotel.

I would not second the previous posters suggestion to save and wait. The last few months are clearly proving that the value of a Skymile is trending downward.
Old May 19, 2010, 5:36 am

You could try to swap them for something you want on points.com. I've never used it, but it might be worth looking at.
Old May 19, 2010, 5:38 am

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
Donate them to your favorite charity.
Old May 19, 2010, 5:49 am

Programs: DL GM
I've used marketplace a few times and it's pretty decent. You can usually get a $50 gift card for 6k miles. There are also some hotels that come up for less than 10k.
Old May 19, 2010, 6:49 am

Programs: Delta, United
Donate then and take the tax write off if you can.
Old May 19, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by cfetters
You could try to swap them for something you want on points.com. I've never used it, but it might be worth looking at.
You can't swap DL miles OUT at points.com. In fact there is no way to transfer DL miles into anything other than another DL account... for a fee.

Originally Posted by pmaddock
My suggestion would be to look at Skymiles marketplace and see what rates you're getting. I understand the gift card rates vary with level but with 14K miles you should be able to get at least $100 in gift cards or maybe a couple of nights at a good hotel.
Originally Posted by MrTheo
I've used marketplace a few times and it's pretty decent. You can usually get a $50 gift card for 6k miles. There are also some hotels that come up for less than 10k.
From what I have gathered the redemption rates range from 5K, 6K, to 8K for a $50 gift card. So the OP might not be able to get "at least $100". The hotel or car rental option at SkyMiles Marketplace is probably the best use of 14K if the OP is resolved that he/she will not be adding any more miles to the account.
Old May 19, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
Originally Posted by Evan!
From what I have gathered the redemption rates range from 5K, 6K, to 8K for a $50 gift card. So the OP might not be able to get "at least $100". The hotel or car rental option at SkyMiles Marketplace is probably the best use of 14K if the OP is resolved that he/she will not be adding any more miles to the account.
And if short on miles, the difference can be paid in cash. Some have also reported earning affinity points at hotels when using vouchers from the Marketplace.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
take the tax write off if you can.
Unfortunately, you can't. I donated all of my UA miles to Red Cross for Haiti this year and found out they cannot be deducted like a cash/clothing donation.
Old May 19, 2010, 6:13 pm

[QUOTE=Evan!;13984555]You can't swap DL miles OUT at points.com. In fact there is no way to transfer DL miles into anything other than another DL account... for a fee.

Sorry, I guess wrong terminology saying "swap" but it's my understanding that you can trade them using their Global Points Exchange. I'll admit, I don't know the details, and have never used any of their services.
Old May 19, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Unfortunately, you can't. I donated all of my UA miles to Red Cross for Haiti this year and found out they cannot be deducted like a cash/clothing donation.
Did you report them as income when you received them (assuming you fly on the corporate dollar)?

If you are on your own dime when accruing miles it might make a good court test.

For 100 bucks or so?
Old May 19, 2010, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Cherbear013

Why don't you redeem them for hotel stays or car rentals in the Delta Skymiles Marketplace? I'm hooked after finding out I receive full reward benefits on the car rentals - each one gives me credit towards National free days! Most National/Alamo one day rentals are around 3000 miles per day - usually a value of one cent per mile.

I'm not sure if this is available to US customers though - when I log into marketplace it says "you are located outside the USA, but don't worry, we've stocked the marketplace with hotel and car options for you!". Some American friends told me this isn't an option for them, but if you switch your account to a Canadian or other international address, you should be able to book them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.