Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Adding segment to already booked reward itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AA PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum

Hi all,

After thoroughly studying http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ss-awards.html, I was finally able to book the (almost!) perfect itinerary in August:

ATL-AMS-FCO
VCE-AMS-ORD-ATL

Careful planning netted me two biz-elite tickets for 100k miles each, with only the ORD-ATL segment in coach (AMS-FCO, VCE-AMS, and AMS-ORD are on KLM metal).

Ideally, this trip would have originated in CHS, but there was no CHS-ATL-CHS availability at the low level for the dates I wanted when I booked, and would have increased the mileage required to 145,000 each had I ticketed it that way. If I find CHS-ATL-CHS "low" availability on my dates of travel, would I be allowed to add these two segments to the already ticketed itinerary? What fees would be incurred? I am 95% sure availability will open up closer to departure, and would rather just add those segments on than refund miles and reticket the whole trip (also, there's no guarantee that if I did a mileage redeposit, that my previously occupied "low" seats would go back into the low bucket).

If the above isn't possible, I can nest the Italy trip into a CHS-ATL-CHS reward booking (probably in coach, 25k each, still 40k cheaper than the 145,000 per person I'd have incurred in the above scenario), or drive to Atlanta.

Anyone have previous experience?
Old May 17, 2010, 1:12 pm

Just any difference in points and fees/taxes + change fee if applicable (not for Diamonds and Plat waiver).
Old May 18, 2010, 2:04 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I could be wrong, but in order to add a segment doesn't DL cancel what you already have and book a whole new itinerary? And when they do, you are subject to possibily loosing availability or increased miles needed for the award ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.