Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Confrontation between FA and GA on flight today

Old May 13, 10, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond

This morning on my flight on an EMB-175 I was sitting in the first row watching the FA argue with the GA. She was saying that Row 20 is required to be blocked off for W&B issues....I don't fly the -175 so I don't know if that's the case or not...the GA then says that they aren't required to do it, and then FA comes back saying that they should be and the GA must be new...to which the GA replies she was a supervisor for NWA and handled these airplanes all the time and had never heard of that before....the GA was very calm and respectful even saying if it's actually company policy have corporate send a memo and they will start enforcing it, but the FA was flat out rude and unprofessional in my opinion (during this confrontation, her service after the door was closed was just fine). The FA went on to ask why the GA didnt block them off again, the GA replied with the same answer, then the FA said "Do you have a break room at work?" to which the GA replied yes, then the FA went on to say "Well we don't, and that's why that row needs to be blocked off"

Should i send a note to DL about this? I don't want to send it as a complaint, but more of a concern for the professionalism of the FA....what do you guys think?
Old May 13, 10, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Where was the pilot during all of this?

Send a note to DL, customers shouldn't have to hear/observe such confrontations. It is unprofessional.
Old May 13, 10, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyTLe View Post
Where was the pilot during all of this?

Send a note to DL, customers shouldn't have to hear/observe such confrontations. It is unprofessional.
they were both up front finalizing the paperwork to give to the GA.
Old May 13, 10, 6:58 pm

Location: atlanta....you'll have to come thru here....eventually
You should definitely send it in....and if the GA is worth her "red coat" she will too...Uncalled for.
Old May 13, 10, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Delta777spirit View Post
You should definitely send it in....and if the GA is worth her "red coat" she will too...Uncalled for.
the funny part is she was just wearing a Delta long sleeve t-shirt
Old May 13, 10, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Originally Posted by ianturner View Post
The FA went on to ask why the GA didnt block them off again, the GA replied with the same answer, then the FA said "Do you have a break room at work?" to which the GA replied yes, then the FA went on to say "Well we don't, and that's why that row needs to be blocked off"

Should i send a note to DL about this? I don't want to send it as a complaint, but more of a concern for the professionalism of the FA....what do you guys think?
For that line alone, that's worth a note to Delta about, as well as the operating carrier (Shuttle America or Compass). Absolutely uncalled for behaviour.
Old May 13, 10, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL FO
Breakroom? How long was she planning to be in the air on an E175 that she would need a break?! And doesn't that plane have two galleys and only two FAs? Wow.

BTW what route was this?
Old May 13, 10, 11:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
Yeah, I'd agree to send the note both to DL and the operating carrier. Very unprofessional behavior. Again -- why didn't the capt. make the call, based on all circumstances of the flight? It would have made more sense to refer the matter to him/her.

Dave
Old May 13, 10, 11:24 pm

I don't fully understand what the FA was asking. Why would the row be blocked off? Either way though they should not be arguing.
Old May 13, 10, 11:32 pm

Programs: AS/MVPG DL/GM2MM UA/1K
You should sent it in!
I really hate to hear and see FA or GA or anyone is arguing for about theirself not for customer.
Definitely you did not have to see this thing!
Old May 13, 10, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Blocking row 20 (last row) of an E-175 for weight & balance issues makes no sense -- regional jets tend to be nose heavy, not tail heavy.
Old May 14, 10, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hoth300 View Post
Breakroom? How long was she planning to be in the air on an E175 that she would need a break?! And doesn't that plane have two galleys and only two FAs? Wow.

BTW what route was this?

I was wondering the same things!! The OP is from SAT - so, if it's SAT/DTW, that's a whopping 2 1/2 hours in the air! If that flight still has meal service, like it did when I took it last year, that'll really wear out a FA and they NEED a resting space!!!

Sorry for the sarcasm - - I certainly want to acknowledge that there are MANY, MANY very hard working FA's who do a sometimes very hard job under trying circumstances - without complaining. This FA clearly was an exception.

Last edited by davetravels; May 14, 10 at 12:51 am Reason: spelling
Old May 14, 10, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by MikeMpls View Post
Blocking row 20 (last row) of an E-175 for weight & balance issues makes no sense -- regional jets tend to be nose heavy, not tail heavy.
I know it doesn't apply to the E-175 as the engines are under-wing but wouldn't most RJs be tail-heavy as the engines are mounted in the rear of the aircraft?
Old May 14, 10, 12:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sounds to me like the FA just wanted an empty row so that she (?) could sprawl out and relax rather than serve passengers during the flight. Very unprofessional. Also, I find it annoying when the FAs want to jam all of the passengers together with no empty seats and then save rows of empties for themselves in order to be able to nap comfortably at the expense of the passengers.

Is there any reason to believe that this FA is a licensed pilot or otherwise knowledgable about weight and balance issues? This stuff should be the sole responsibility of the aircraft's assigned captain, not some self-appointed FA who is trained to be a safety professional but presumably hasn't been educated about the physics of flight. I can understand FAs not permitting passengers to change seats on small planes when the original seat assignments incorporated weight and balance constraints that could be messed up if passengers move into new seats. However, if weight and balance considerations are so sensitive, this nonrobustness makes me wonder about FAs moving around with carts or passengers walking to the lavatory.

QUESTION about when weight and balance considerations are considered: I always assumed that this would largely be handled by the computerized seat maps and that gate seat assignments would somehow preclude a GA from, for example, giving everyone a seat on the same side of the aircraft. I also envision pilots of very small planes sometimes walking back into the passenger cabin before departure, eyeballing the passengers, and perhaps telling a small person to switch seats with someone who looks heavy if necessary for weight and balance. When it matters, weight and balance would seem to be a huge responsibility for a GA or FA to handle on their own and would seem to contradict the principle of the pilot being responsible for the flight. Who is really trained and responsible for this?

The remark above by MikeMpls explains a bit about my last RJ-200 flight. I was the only zone 1 passenger and had given myself a premium seat in row 2 or 3 (I wasn't sure whether bulkhead would be good or bad on this little bird) rather than the exit row. When boarding was complete, I noticed that my seat was totally surrounded by empty space on the more-than-half-empty aircraft. All of the other passengers were seated in the back half of the plane, although some still had empty seats next to them. It was a wierd and crazy experience but I got lots of attention from the (sole) FA.

Note regarding the GAs uniform or lack thereof: A few weeks ago I noticed very casual dress being worn by staff at a SC at MSP. I commented in a good way--it was the weekend--and was told that DL employees working at MSP were encouraged to dress this way in honor of our new baseball stadium. (I think DL is a sponsor.) I then asked how long the privilege would last, surely not for the entire 2010 season. The response was that individual staff can make a charitable donation and purchase (my word) the right to wear casual dress instead of the standard uniform. At that point, I didn't ask about the terms of the offer, but I wish I had been able to do so....maybe in some future conversation.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 14, 10 at 12:57 am Reason: added question
Old May 14, 10, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
QUESTION about when weight and balance considerations are considered: I always assumed that this would largely be handled by the computerized seat maps and that gate seat assignments would somehow preclude a GA from, for example, giving everyone a seat on the same side of the aircraft. I also envision pilots of very small planes sometimes walking back into the passenger cabin before departure, eyeballing the passengers, and perhaps telling a small person to switch seats with someone who looks heavy if necessary for weight and balance. When it matters, weight and balance would seem to be a huge responsibility for a GA or FA to handle on their own and would seem to contradict the principle of the pilot being responsible for the flight. Who is really trained and responsible for this?
Note regarding the GAs uniform or lack thereof: A few weeks ago I noticed very casual dress being worn by staff at a SC at MSP. I commented in a good way--it was the weekend--and was told that DL employees working at MSP were encouraged to dress this way in honor of our new baseball stadium. (I think DL is a sponsor.) I then asked how long the privilege would last, surely not for the entire 2010 season. The response was that individual staff can make a charitable donation and purchase (my word) the right to wear casual dress instead of the standard uniform. At that point, I didn't ask about the terms of the offer, but I wish I had been able to do so....maybe in some future conversation.
All of this is my observation but I think I've learned quite about (someone stop me if I'm totally off). A lot of different factors go into it, some factors can't be determined or accounted before right before departure. Baggage cargo, weather, number of PAX, etc. If there is inclement weather en route or at the destination, a plane might take on more fuel than normal so there are W&B re-calculations that need to be done. Same with number of PAX and even the time of year. Pilots use different weight calculations for passenger depending on the season (to account for differences in clothing, coats) etc.
I've seen different solutions on different aircraft regarding weight and balance. I've seen FAs (spread passengers around a cabin, I've also heard pilots request the ground crew add ballast (sandbags IRRC) to the cargo hold, all in the name of w&B.

There was a time I was on a QX prop plane between SEA & PDX where the two persons of size sharing the same side and row were asked to sit seperately.

As for the casual uniforms. I've seen it predominantly when DL does the Breast Cancer Research Foundation campaign. I've had FAs announce that they were wearing casual (jeans and a DL BCRF t-shirt) because they had donated $ and wanted to show their support. To me it is a win-win as FAs get to wear casual clothes and the charity raises some extra money.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: