Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A new World Record even for DL SM. THIS is "best in class" alright!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A new World Record even for DL SM. THIS is "best in class" alright!

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by redtailshark
This additive award pricing that has apparently been acknowledged by DL - it really needs to be called out and criticized.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-smi-real.html

Its not just happening for int'l itins, as is reported above.

"Don't question" her - on an 80k domestic award! Niiiiice. Classic high quality CS.

This is what I meant. With such additive pricing, there's never going to be a low level award to anywhere.

We badly need an open discussion of all of this, including the conversations that are described above. They're happening to more than a few people here.

By creating a climate of silence, DL not only deliberately fails to deliver what it promises in SM literature (a three tier award scheme, even for domestic) but it strives to hide how absolutely terrible both SM and its CS are.

And that is a great reason for these problems to be aired on FT.
I think the article in the WSJ the other day at least sheds more light on it. They were not only next to last but in the game. I knew it was bad, but the percents were eye popping. Hoently the best recourse anymore is to complain to Amex, since Delta does not care.
Old May 14, 2010, 4:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Checking the itin today on DL.COM, I found five itins at 635,000 SM and one at the (can it be so?) unassailable new World Record level of 675,000 SM.

This outrageous and odd number gives insight into the DL award "pricing" mechanism.... it's clearly not operating in a zonal, three-tier way.

Admittedly, for this one, all sectors are now in F or J, which beats the previous one with a Y sector. But is it worth 40k extra SM for an F ride from PHL to DTW instead of Y from PHL to JFK?

Only the :-: best in class :-: program can give you "options" such as this.
Old May 14, 2010, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by redtailshark
Checking the itin today on DL.COM, I found five itins at 635,000 SM and one at the (can it be so?) unassailable new World Record level of 675,000 SM.
You should thank DL. They're doing you a huge favor; you can now burn all your Skymiles in one swell foop, thereby freeing you to sever all ties to DL and fly with an airline that appreciates you.

Old May 14, 2010, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yisitalwaysu
I assume that is what you would do?

Remember that the problem lies exclusively with DL, as does the solution, not with RTS by burning his miles foolishly.
There is certainly a problem with Skymiles, but hyperbole and spending hours selectively working delta.com to force it to display outrageous exceptions doesn't help solve the problem. As was proved by many people at the start of the thread, that routing was readily available for 200k.

Now, 200k is still way too much, and that has already been beaten to death in this forum; however, posting wild stuff just to bash DL doesn't contribute.

I won't pay $9 for a $3 Big Mac under any circumstance, even if some ignorant McDonald's franchisee (or DL executive) thinks it is worth that.

Truth be known, I don't think you or RTS would either.

I take it you haven't been in a McDonalds restaurant in Moscow, Tokyo or Shanghai lately.
Old May 14, 2010, 8:04 pm

I actually don't consider 200,000 too high, as the absolute highest price for the last seat on every single flight.
Too bad you & Delta aren't on the same page.
Old May 18, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Interestingly (apparently as a result of booking engine changes being discussed in other threads), the 635K award is no longer available.

Only 200K and 275K.

David
Old May 18, 2010, 6:39 pm

Absolutely correct. And the 275K is all F/Biz as well. Wow. Still 100,000 above what the award chart says it should be for Premium ( high ) travel, but surely a step in the right direction. Do you think, they read this thread and reacted accordingly? I wouldn't give them credit for that, but one can dream......
Old May 18, 2010, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by audio-nut
Lovely exchange with a Skymiles "Supervisor" tonight.

Trying to book LGA-SDF in the summer.

It's irradiating enough that ALL days this summer are at a minimum "medium (40K)" but looking online I came up reasonable flights (over CVG out and MEM back) for 80,000 roundtrip!!! I called the desk to find out how it can be possibly higher than 60K. She said that domestic awards are low 25K, med 45K and high 100K. I told her the website disagrees and she asked me to "not to question her." I asked her how that could add up to 80K (math doesn't work) and she finally agreed that 30K was the max for a one way(based on RT). She then told me that the return was broken over MEM (so 30K LGA-CVG-SDF, 20K SDF-MEM and 30K MEM-LGA). I asked if SDF-MEM-LGA is a valid routing and she said "yes" (which is true, I had the exact flights at 40K RT last week). I asked how DL can break the trip over MEM and she said that DL is free to break an itinerary any way it chooses. I asked for the manager on duty and she said that she is the top person available.

Best in class indeed. (note I found LGA-IND seats roundtrip for ~$160 all-in and that was medium too...what a joke. DL obviously has seasonality controls on low awards and will not inform the consumer.)
This has been going on since the beginning of the 3-tier system, I am surprised early on that it did not receive more widespread attention than it did (many complained, but many more didn't notice that it had become a multi-tier system with these special mile-multiplier features). Many of us saw very bad things coming and spent miles like crazy (mostly through the NW engine and/or on partners). Unfortunately I've now accumulated hundreds of thousands more miles (unfortunate in the sense that it is very, very time consuming to find good ways for me to use the deltified miles these days.)
Old May 18, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc
Originally Posted by audio-nut
Lovely exchange with a Skymiles "Supervisor" tonight.

Trying to book LGA-SDF in the summer.

It's irradiating enough that ALL days this summer are at a minimum "medium (40K)" but looking online I came up reasonable flights (over CVG out and MEM back) for 80,000 roundtrip!!! I called the desk to find out how it can be possibly higher than 60K. She said that domestic awards are low 25K, med 45K and high 100K. I told her the website disagrees and she asked me to "not to question her." I asked her how that could add up to 80K (math doesn't work) and she finally agreed that 30K was the max for a one way(based on RT). She then told me that the return was broken over MEM (so 30K LGA-CVG-SDF, 20K SDF-MEM and 30K MEM-LGA). I asked if SDF-MEM-LGA is a valid routing and she said "yes" (which is true, I had the exact flights at 40K RT last week). I asked how DL can break the trip over MEM and she said that DL is free to break an itinerary any way it chooses. I asked for the manager on duty and she said that she is the top person available.

Best in class indeed. (note I found LGA-IND seats roundtrip for ~$160 all-in and that was medium too...what a joke. DL obviously has seasonality controls on low awards and will not inform the consumer.)
A joke indeed. Fly another airline. I just booked another $8,000 J fare to JNB on South African for because of this crap ($50,000+ YTD that would have been DL's if not for this type of deception). DL is a fraud.
Old May 18, 2010, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a real shame I can't go to Italy next week.
Actually, I found these in about 3 minutes while logged in to my daughters FO account.

I don't dispute that for the most part the three tier system, availability, and award calender are terrible, but the low awards do exist. And I guarantee that, unlike my earlier humorous post in this thread, I didn't "photoshop" these.

Old May 18, 2010, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Actually, I found these in about 3 minutes while logged in to my daughters FO account.

I don't dispute that for the most part the three tier system, availability, and award calender are terrible, but the low awards do exist. And I guarantee that, unlike my earlier humorous post in this thread, I didn't "photoshop" these.

Although you would have an overnight in ATL, PSA seems the place to go. Now, if DL would adjust all of their redemption amounts to reflect reality..............
Old May 18, 2010, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Although you would have an overnight in ATL, PSA seems the place to go. Now, if DL would adjust all of their redemption amounts to reflect reality..............
PSA is my standard destination; great airport, and very convenient for me. An overnight in ATL or JFK isn't bad for this kind of redemption. I hope someone here can take advantage of it.

The fact that this is close in could be significant; maybe some TATL inventory will get released last minute this spring and summer?
Old May 18, 2010, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
If LOW awards truly become available TATL but not elsewhere, I have a one word explanation...

VOLCANO!
Old May 18, 2010, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Lusting for marble?
Old May 18, 2010, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Lusting for marble?
Yup, I do have to get over there in the next month or so to select a block of marble, just can't do it this month; too many deadlines.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
VOLCANO!
I actually carved a fireplace last year in a material called "Volcano onyx".

It's a beautiful stone, but tricky to work with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.