Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Bad Experience at JFK Airport with Delta Air Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad Experience at JFK Airport with Delta Air Lines

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
The solution here, as implied by a few posters, is to take another airline in and out of JFK until there is a new Delta facility. I have been confused a few times there and i am not a stranger to the facility. If JFK is in my plans it is with AA whenever possible because of the shiny new facilities.
Old May 10, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL SM Diamond, AA Ex. Platinum, Ph.D in STFU
Originally Posted by exwannabe
She was at the wrong terminal at T-70, so how on earth did she make the T-75 minute req for being at the airport?

She also clearly did not get her bags checked by T-60, since she never even got into a line by then. Not clear if she was even in the terminal by then.

Yes, big dutch, you are no mathematician.
and i suppose you can't read? or just didn't take the time to read the whole post?
Old May 10, 2010, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by acf1270
That was your big mistake. Since you were flying business class then you should have went to terminal 2 instead of terminal 3. Terminal 2 is for first/business class and elite check-in and you would have had a very different experience if you would have asked to be dropped off at T-2. Even if your flight was departing from T-3 there is an airside walkway between T-2 and T-3.
What terminal do you get dropped off at when you take the AirTrain in (it just says T2/T3)? That's how I get to JFK, and whatever terminal is attached to it is often very quiet and quick (AND they are really good about checking the SkyPriority lane for riff-raff ).

If that's T3, how do I get to T2 if I take the AirTrain in? Walk along the road?
Old May 10, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bdlman
Delta in SLC is the opposite of DL in JFK. The nicest staff and a really smooth well run hub
Very true but it is difficult to compare an airport with 60% less passengers in a metropolitan area 1/20th the size to JFK and NYC. As for the attitude, CO employees at EWR aren't much better, though they have improved. I never had a problem with agents at JFK T2 Check-in, but T3 is insane.

There seem to be a lot of JFK complaint threads lately with title words ranging from 'Bad Service' and 'Delay' to 'Nightmare' and my favorite, 'Third World'. Mods, maybe there could be one thread devoted to everything bad about JFK terminals, staff, runways, weather, and everything else?
Old May 10, 2010, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by centralpark
Honestly, I think this is a learning experience that we have to learn the "hard way". The bottom line is you need to do whatever you can to get yourself to a kiosk at Delta JFK 60 minutes before the departure.

I actually go out of my way to book my mother out of JFK because the lines at the Terminal 2 (Elite/Business class) are short and security is a breeze. I've never had to wait over 5 minutes.

Yes, I agree this 60 minute check-in rule needs some leeway, but just know for the future. It is a rule that can't be broken.
I transit JFK a couple of times a month. T2 is typically an easy checkin and go. I always plan for bad traffic coming out of Manhattan so I usually get there with 120 minutes to spare. I know where T2 drop off is - and my drivers usually know, too.

I check in online - and I can always carry if need be - though often I check a bag since I'm headed home. I have had one marginal experience in the two dozen adventures through JFK and that was when the T2 elite security line was "broken." I hoofed it over to T3 (the sidewalk, then across the road, and up the hill) and got through the elite line in about 5 minutes.

My first time at JFK was when it was still Idyllwild and I was a young boy. Perhaps nostalgia has clouded my vision.
Old May 10, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by centralpark
Honestly, I think this is a learning experience that we have to learn the "hard way". The bottom line is you need to do whatever you can to get yourself to a kiosk at Delta JFK 60 minutes before the departure.

I actually go out of my way to book my mother out of JFK because the lines at the Terminal 2 (Elite/Business class) are short and security is a breeze. I've never had to wait over 5 minutes.

Yes, I agree this 60 minute check-in rule needs some leeway, but just know for the future. It is a rule that can't be broken.
Originally Posted by Bicostal
I transit JFK a couple of times a month. T2 is typically an easy checkin and go. I always plan for bad traffic coming out of Manhattan so I usually get there with 120 minutes to spare. I know where T2 drop off is - and my drivers usually know, too.

I check in online - and I can always carry if need be - though often I check a bag since I'm headed home. I have had one marginal experience in the two dozen adventures through JFK and that was when the T2 elite security line was "broken." I hoofed it over to T3 (the sidewalk, then across the road, and up the hill) and got through the elite line in about 5 minutes.

My first time at JFK was when it was still Idyllwild and I was a young boy. Perhaps nostalgia has clouded my vision.
+1. The OP needs to chalk the experience up to tuition costs for flying in and out JFK. Sorry the OP didn’t make it to their flight.

T2 is a breeze. The first time I ever flew out of JFK used the T3 terminal by mistake and almost missed my flight. Didn’t make that error again. Been in and out of JFK 20+ times and still amazed how fast the check in and security process is at T2.

It’s a good thing to check in on-line even if your checking bags. You just never know when the check-in process can get delayed and blow up on you.
Old May 10, 2010, 6:47 pm

Veery interesting thread - an education.
I haven't flown DL out of JFK in seveeral years. I recall how EASY it was to fly on DL from JFK - preferred it to most other airlines, and preferred it to LGA.
Clearly, things have changed.

I'll be flying Biz class DL to AMS soon (On a KLM flight).
Is the lesson to be learned here to go check my bags at Terminal 2, not 3. even if my flight leaves from 2?

I do always leave much more time than I need - I hate to be rushed before getting on a flight - so I'll have plenty of time to cool my heels in biz lounge.

Thanks
Old May 10, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
Originally Posted by coachgns

I'll be flying Biz class DL to AMS soon (On a KLM flight).
KLM sounds like T4 (double check me) Excellent terminal with a great lounge. KLM to AMS is very pleasant. I also enjoy the pilot's announcements in English with a Dutch accent: "Cabin crew. Take your seats." and sometimes you hear "Takeoff is imminent."

Once, after landing in a 747 at JFK with heavy cargo of sculptures and prize Arabian horses, we were instructed by the pilot (again, imagine a Dutch accent) "Ladies and gentlemen please stay for awhile in your seats while we offload some cargo otherwise we might tip over."
Old May 11, 2010, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
As for the attitude, CO employees at EWR aren't much better, though they have improved. I never had a problem with agents at JFK T2 Check-in, but T3 is insane.
I must be very lucky when flying through EWR (and I have done that quite a bit over the past 10+ years) and very unlucky when flying through JFK (and I've done that enough over the past 2+ years)...both tude's leave much to be desired one is certainly head and shoulders above the other (not to mention when mis-connecting on CO they have ALWAYS greeted me at the podium with a new boarding pass, voucher etc, no "oh let me see what I can do for you"..it's there waiting for me, even if I'm on a paper ticket which recently happened)...have yet to have that every happen on PMNW, PMDL or the New DL
Old Jul 6, 2010, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Here is the end of the story:

I received a response from Delta that said: we are sorry for this and we are sorry for that and here's a $100 certificate for your next flight. I responded with: thank you very much but what I really would like is to talk to someone at JFK about fixing some of these issues. Their response: we are sorry you are unhappy with the compensation but that's all you are getting. Finally they had a JFK Customer Service supervisor email me asking me to call her. I called her and left a voicemail message. A week later, no response. I emailed her, no response. I called her again (now I am having fun with this) and she said she's on another call and she would call me on Monday. Monday - no call. I wrote again and said that her failure to contact me is indicative of the problem.

She finally called me back. Basically she admitted that there is a customer service issue at JFK and that they are working on it; that the agents are trained to treat people the way they wanted to be treated but it seldom happens. She did admit that there was a way to check my bags after the flight closed but that it included walking the bag somewhere to make sure it made the flight and it was a long walk; she said that some agents do it and others don't. I asked her why I had to find out what terminal was the correct terminal to use for Business Class from the good people at Flyer Talk and she had no response. The conversation was a waste of time. (She did mention that things should improve when they move into Terminal 4 - whatever that means.)

Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback.

Last edited by Fontaine; Jul 6, 2010 at 7:12 pm
Old Jul 6, 2010, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Very true but it is difficult to compare an airport with 60% less passengers in a metropolitan area 1/20th the size to JFK and NYC. As for the attitude, CO employees at EWR aren't much better, though they have improved. I never had a problem with agents at JFK T2 Check-in, but T3 is insane.
T3 is insane. I've been yelled at by an agent there as a Platinum needing to buy a full-fare walk-up fare one day, saying she didn't have time to deal with me. I'm sure the powers-that-be just love having a (then) top-tier elite wanting to buy a walk-up refundable fare told that the agent doesn't have time to deal with it and to go away

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.