Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive B/E Upgrade Complaint Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive B/E Upgrade Complaint Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:43 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
Its not a stretch. Compare cabins. I'll gladly pay more for the direct aisle access flat bed seat in a 1-2-1 config.
Yeah? 3x? Out of your own pocket? BS!!!

UA's International F cabin is a 1 - 2- 1 config, which is on par with DL's J cabin.
HHellllooooo... down there in the rabbit hole. Have you seen my friend Alice? Give me a break? Width/Pitch 22/44 vs. 31/78? Shoot me some of those pills!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
no avod on a UA 777 in J in the old config?
No sir. Also not in the old F, but they do bring a basket of tapes that you can pick your movie and load in your vcr-style player, so I guess that counts as AVOD. The screen in the J cabin is about half the size of the iPad.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EP, DL DM, DL 1M, Marriott Elite, Hilton Gold, SPG Elite
They are way out of line. I can book L for any random week trip to NGO for < $2000 (in fact, I flew for $1300 on L this week to NGO). The M ticket is $4929 on a 747. That is obscene, especially when you factor in that they flew the plane with 322 of 330 coach seats filled and 21 out of 68 BE seats filled. 47 empty seats, Delta, 47.

Yes, I get the model, but when you price the upgradeable out of reach, aren't you doing yourself economic harm when you could fill BE on SWU's if the M fare was $3000-3500.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by 5khours
Yeah? 3x? Out of your own pocket? BS!!!

3x is a stretch. And again, if you dig, I am sure you will find the one fare between two city pairs where the price diff is 3x. So, for that one route, I will pay 3x so your right.

HHellllooooo... down there in the rabbit hole. Have you seen my friend Alice? Give me a break? Width/Pitch 22/44 vs. 31/78? Shoot me some of those pills!
Here we go again. To each his own is all I can say. UA and AA do not offer a comparable J cabin to DL. Not even close. While I don't want to sound like a raving lunatic, DL's refurbished J cabin (to me) is the next best thing to wanting to fly in an F cabin, but not wanting to pay F on UA/AA.

Of course, you can't compare DL's J to UA/AA's F but still, if you don't want to spend the $$$ for F, and you want an F experience, then the next best thing down the totum pole is DL's J, then after that you can either pick from UA or AA's J. Pound for pound, your getting a much better J experience on DL. is it worth the extra $$$ for me to spend on DL? I guess so. Plus, I don't get short changed on the medallion benies when I upgrade on DL. From what I hear, on the cheapest upgradeable UA and AA fares, the benies are greatly diminished, plus copays and/or mileage contributions exist.

Disclaimer: until DL completes the refurbishments of the 763, 744 and A330 fleet, then yes, DL's hard product suffers.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BahstunDLPT
They are way out of line. I can book L for any random week trip to NGO for < $2000 (in fact, I flew for $1300 on L this week to NGO). The M ticket is $4929 on a 747. That is obscene, especially when you factor in that they flew the plane with 322 of 330 coach seats filled and 21 out of 68 BE seats filled. 47 empty seats, Delta, 47.

Yes, I get the model, but when you price the upgradeable out of reach, aren't you doing yourself economic harm when you could fill BE on SWU's if the M fare was $3000-3500.
Exactly. I think the vast majority of us agree that there is a serious problem when it costs 5k to have the non-gauranteed chance to upgrade using an SWU.

In fact, see my post a few above where an I fare (yes, I fare, not even a deeply discounted S) is ~750 more than the M. Thats pathetic. Yes the DL hard product is better than UA with the DL lie-flats. However, when the UA SWU upgradable fare is under 2k and DL is over 5k its pretty absurd. Then take a look at west coast routes where DL is still flying old 763s. Can anybody justify almost 5k for sitting in a recliner?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Exactly. I think the vast majority of us agree that there is a serious problem when it costs 5k to have the non-gauranteed chance to upgrade using an SWU.

In fact, see my post a few above where an I fare (yes, I fare, not even a deeply discounted S) is ~750 more than the M. Thats pathetic. Yes the DL hard product is better than UA with the DL lie-flats. However, when the UA SWU upgradable fare is under 2k and DL is over 5k its pretty absurd. Then take a look at west coast routes where DL is still flying old 763s. Can anybody justify almost 5k for sitting in a recliner?
Again,if you look, you will find. Of course you'll find fares that are $5,000... and more. However, one really doesn't need to look all that much harder for a much cheaper I or S fare.

Your using extreme examples of a high DL fare against that of the lowest UA fare. Your not comparing fairly. I do see the point you are making though,and if you must travel on set dates and UA/AA is thousands cheaper then DL, then you do what you must do.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Oh its not just certain special dates... those M fares are there for the summer and fall, as well as a lot of availability of the I fares.

Even if you factor in a mid level UA fare at 2.5k+SWU, it is still 1/2 the DL price of 5k+SWU.

Its just quite frustrating that the M fares have crept up so much that the 'value' of an SWU is reduced to under $500 each way. I get better value using an SWU (assuming I can get one of a dozen agents to code it correctly) on a JFK-SFO flight than for international now.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DLroads
On the other hand--

JFK-DTW-HND RT on a M fare for $4930 (!?!?) is, with all do respect, inappropriate for the route, timing and pricing. (Late june and early July RT, with the flights still offering plenty of sLUT fares, and BE near empty).
I'm seeing availability in may for jfk - dtw- hnd in J for $4,000.00 RT.

AA is offering JFK - HND for the same dates on a business special fare of $4180.00

according to seatguru, All AA T7's have now been configured with angled lie-flat Business class seats.

I'll take DL's flatbeds over AA's angled lie-flats any day of the week.
Before getting a BE ticket through HND, check the WARNING thread I started about the HND-LAX flights. You probably should not assume that DTW-HND and vv will operate with full BE service and catering.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Disclaimer: until DL completes the refurbishments of the 763, 744 and A330 fleet, then yes, DL's hard product suffers.
How can you forget the nearly limitless numbers of 752s they use TATL from JFK?!

As to cheap(er) J tickets for vacations- i just want to be comfortable when I'm flying long haul. I prefer a lie-flat because I get an extra partial day of non delirious vacation out of the deal, but I just want to not be in pain for the entire flight.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:43 am
k2

Its not a stretch. Compare cabins. I'll gladly pay more for the direct aisle access flat bed seat in a 1-2-1 config. Note that some of these airlines that boast flat beds are in a shameful 2-3-2 config with even some having the seats facing towards the back of the plane.
I guess we just disagree on the value of 1-2-1, I wouldn't pay more for it.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Plus, I don't get short changed on the medallion benies when I upgrade on DL. From what I hear, on the cheapest upgradeable UA and AA fares, the benies are greatly diminished, plus copays and/or mileage contributions exist.
+1 on that. Checking in on UA's club at ORD yesterday, I heard the agent say to the pax next to me "sir, upgrades aren't eligible for use of the showers".
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Originally Posted by k2
I guess we just disagree on the value of 1-2-1, I wouldn't pay more for it.
I'm with you on this. I'd rather get up a few times during a flight and have $2.5K or so in my pocket any day.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by mother-
How can you forget the nearly limitless numbers of 752s they use TATL from JFK?!

As to cheap(er) J tickets for vacations- i just want to be comfortable when I'm flying long haul. I prefer a lie-flat because I get an extra partial day of non delirious vacation out of the deal, but I just want to not be in pain for the entire flight.
The TATL 757s are largely (totally?) being re-deployed to operate intra-Asian routes.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by mbarreto
+1 on that. Checking in on UA's club at ORD yesterday, I heard the agent say to the pax next to me "sir, upgrades aren't eligible for use of the showers".
Barreto, I'm with you on this. A good shower is worth at least $2,500 any day! .
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by mtkeller
The TATL 757s are largely (totally?) being re-deployed to operate intra-Asian routes.
Let me know when that actually happens. It certainly isn't the case now...

Originally Posted by 5khours
Barreto, I'm with you on this. A good shower is worth at least $2,500 any day! .
That is actually a great way to keep J->Y+SWU revenue downgrades from happening... If you need to go to a work from the plane, buy J.

Too bad most of us have other means of accessing the club than BE tickets....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.