Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive B/E Upgrade Complaint Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive B/E Upgrade Complaint Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by mbarreto
....I've flown 8 Intl trips (16 segments) on premium cabins on UA .....Had 4 segments in F.... Of the other 14 segments in J.....
Last time, I checked 4 plus 14 equaled 18, but I guess that explains why with their customer base, DL are able to charge double or triple for their product.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I think you may be a little behind the curve on this (not a criticism) as the UA fleet is (I believe) at 88% Lie-flat J and 100% Lie-flat F now. I have yet to get a recliner on an international J flight. I believe the only place you will find them is SA routes.
That I can't argue, I'm way behind the curve!! Seems like every time I book a flight with lie flats, a day or two before the trip it gets swapped to the recliners.

Some of those were SA, some were TPAC...
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
Why is it that you,and others, seem to think that DL's premium cabin is only filled with nonrevs? What kind of inside information do you have to back that up with?

Sure,there are some routes certain times of the year where you will most likely find more Non revs then paying pax, but you make your statement seem like its a blanket statement.
Lots and LOTS of personal experience; conversations with non-revs, GAs, overseeing manifests once and a while, seeing meal order sheets with giant NR on them, overhearing numerous conversations, being informed by FAs, etc Does not take a rocket scientist unfortunately. Ill also add the joy of watching the BE seatmap MAGICALLY fill up 30 minutes prior to departure.

Last edited by DLATL777; Apr 2, 2012 at 12:04 pm

That I can't argue, I'm way behind the curve!! Seems like every time I book a flight with lie flats, a day or two before the trip it gets swapped to the recliners.

Some of those were SA, some were TPAC...
You're right. On TPAC (espcially SEA<>NRT), you still sometimes get a recliner.

Originally Posted by 5khours
Last time, I checked 4 plus 14 equaled 18, but I guess that explains why with their customer base, DL are able to charge double or triple for their product.
Thanks for pointing my typo out in a such a graceful way.

Also I see you're a DL MM, so glad to see another DL loyal customer here

Last edited by mbarreto; Apr 2, 2012 at 8:59 am Reason: Etiquette.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Just a datapoint: I'm looking for a Sept/Oct trip from NY to Seoul, doing a stayover in Tokyo on the way back for a few days.

UA J fare? $4500
DL J fare? $6700-9000
DL M fare? $4600

What kind of moron would pay their own money for a Delta ticket on that?

Keep in mind NOBODY is going to argue that WBC recliners >> UA J.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
Why is it that you,and others, seem to think that DL's premium cabin is only filled with nonrevs? What kind of inside information do you have to back that up with?
You're right about only DL knowing the exact numbers. However, I think that rare DL initiated S fare sale last week shows things are not all sunshine and lollipops for J loads.

The J cabin, like anything else for a US based carrier, is a commodity. I don't think anyone expect DL to give it away, but they have to earn the business.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:07 am

Thanks for pointing my typo out in a such a graceful way.
Low blow. Sorry!

Also I see you're a DL MM, so glad to see another DL loyal customer here
Actually 2MM. Would love to go back to DL. All they have to do is finish the fleet conversion on their J class, and then fire J. Robertson and fix SkyCentavos.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:11 am

Actually 2MM. Would love to go back to DL. All they have to do is finish the fleet conversion on their J class, and then fire J. Robertson and fix SkyCentavos.
Nothing about Michelle Bernstein?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:19 am

Nothing about Michelle Bernstein?
Haven't been following the news on Michelle, but I do think DL food is better (slightly) than UA in J.

BTW - Totally unrelated, but did you know there's a fair amount of research about how some foods taste quite different at altitude.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by mtkeller
There's no such thing as a DL 764 that hasn't been upgraded. The 763s, however…
Yes...they save the non-upgraded 763's for markets in which DL has the undisputed, worldwide stranglehold on the market, like SFO-NRT. Maybe in 20 years or so UA, ANA, and JAL will be able to figure out how to offer such a superior product as DL does now. In that time, their catering divisions might also be able to reverse engineer Michelle Bernstein's sumptuous cuisine.

LOL!!!
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Haven't been following the news on Michelle, but I do think DL food is better (slightly) than UA in J.

BTW - Totally unrelated, but did you know there's a fair amount of research about how some foods taste quite different at altitude.
DL's food is NOT better than PMCO's food, which is the food I've had on UA since 3/3.

I bet there is a fair amount of reseach on the taste of food in the air v. on the ground. I don't think DL follows it though. When Michelle B's recipes were used for afternoon heavy hors d'oeuvres in the Atlanta E SkyClub (prior to 1/15/2010) that used to be the Business Elite Lounge, the food was great. What's served in the air is definitely not great, however.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by mike_plat
DL's food is NOT better than PMCO's food, which is the food I've had on UA since 3/3.
Agree on the PMCO fod, but hadn't noticed a difference yet on UA. Certainly would be nice though if it happened.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:49 am

Airlines have known about taste differences for decades. Poor quality J food is a budget and operational competence issue. For instance CO owned Chelsea Catering, as such I found food ex-Chelsea stations to be very good. And I think that continues for UA anywhere Chelsea has an operation.

Given the weekly threads I see here on DL's subpar Michelle Bernstein branded food I wouldn't exactly put money on DL winning a Pepsi Challenge.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:08 am

Delta M fares have been out of control for some time.

I moved my business elsewhere as a result of the crazy TPAC M fares. $4500 for upgradeable coach is just silly, particularly given the restrictions on availability of Z space etc. Can often buy a biz ticket outright for the same or less as the M fare. M fares to Shanghai are about double what they were two or three years ago.

If Delta can get people to pay, more power to them, but they won't be getting it from me.

As far as quality I actually find the DL flat bed offerings to be much better than the UA equivalent, and quite competitive with seats on various foreign carriers. Recliners and NWA style ski slopes, not so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.