No miles after bump

Old Apr 28, 10, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
No miles after bump

I had a flight mke-dtw-tol. The flight was oversold dtw-tol so I took a bump, $400. The next available flight was the next morning, so I rented a car and drove to toledo. I called the Delta elite line and asked for my original routing miles. I was told I wouldnt get the miles since I took a voluntary bump. On Delta North, I always got my original miles, even when I got rerouted on another airline.
Should I try again to get my miles?
Old Apr 28, 10, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, GE
i guess you didnt got the miles because you simply did not flew the last segment.
Old Apr 28, 10, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Correct, I didnt get the miles for the last segment since I didnt fly the last segment. My question is does Delta give miles for the original routing when you get bumped
Old Apr 28, 10, 4:38 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Yes, if you get bumped and fly later (either on DL or another carrier) you can get original mileage credit by called customer service.
Old Apr 28, 10, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by GaryO3 View Post
Yes, if you get bumped and fly later (either on DL or another carrier) you can get original mileage credit by called customer service.
There have been reports that DL has become less accommodating about this than NW was. Both for missed segments (like the OP had) or reroutes. I'd be interested in recent reports of success or failure.

Unrelated question: How often are the flights between DTW and TOL oversold?
Old Apr 29, 10, 8:10 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Personally, I'd eat it, if only 500eqm. I could easily pull in 8000eqm with $400, so this might be the time to not rock the boat.
Old Apr 29, 10, 8:15 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
You could try sending an email—I've had better luck with email than phone for original routing credit issues.
Old Apr 29, 10, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SamOF View Post
You could try sending an email—I've had better luck with email than phone for original routing credit issues.
Interesting, I always prefer a phone call and live person but I've had good luck with email too. Faxing though is another matter, I faxed some BP's to DL once and never heard back.
Old Apr 29, 10, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

I just sent an email. I will see if what happens.
Old Apr 29, 10, 9:07 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Write a letter using snail mail.

Normally you accept the compensation package, here consisting of the $400. voucher and a rescheduled flight (the next day). If you had wanted something different (such as a prorated refund of the segment) you should have proposed that at the moment of volunteering.

I do know that Delta is one of the airlines that slots volunteers into an intricately prioritized list. But I only wish that they would give me the chance to volunteer for the package announced over the PA before negotiating with later arriving persons for more esoteric items like dollar value vouchers instead of free trips.
Old Apr 29, 10, 9:19 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
i thought you would still have to fly to get the credit. You didn't fly.
Old Apr 30, 10, 4:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
There have been reports that DL has become less accommodating about this than NW was. Both for missed segments (like the OP had) or reroutes. I'd be interested in recent reports of success or failure.
Last summer, flying JFK-TLV on a sLUT ticket I accepted a bump which included an upgrade the following day. I was given credit, both in MQMs and SkyMiles, for a Biz Elite flight.
Old May 5, 10, 8:58 am
Original Poster

I sent an email to Delta regarding miles for my original routing.
I got my 500 MQM miles the next day!^^
Old May 5, 10, 9:05 am

Programs: 7mm DM, FC, Marriott PM (lifetime), HH Diamond
OP took the bump and the $400 and decided not to fly. He didn't get miles because he didn't fly.
What is the issue?
Old May 5, 10, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldtirednbusy View Post
OP took the bump and the $400 and decided not to fly. He didn't get miles because he didn't fly.
What is the issue?
The issue is that Delta North always gave me miles for my original routing, (after a bump) regardlless of how I got to my destination. I was hoping that Delta would do the same. I was told no by the elite line. However, I was able to get my miles after sending an email.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: