Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Open comments to SkyMilesInsider

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SkyMilesInsider
Please don't misunderstand the intent. It was not my wish to be percieved as being disingenuous in any way - so I apologize if that is the way it was taken.

While part of the reason for limiting PMs to those whom I meet in person is about volume, the other part of it is genuinely wanting to meet you and provide an incentive for you to attend DOs (in their various forms) that I will continue to attend, schedule permitting. Meeting you in person gives us both a great opportunity. For my part, it allows me the chance to put a face with a name and gain a very personal perspective that is frequently accompanied by one or more experiences with us. For you, it offers whatever you make of it: for some, it is a chance to tell a story or experience; for others it is a simple hello; for yet others, it is an opportunity to ask "why does Delta do X?" and an answer that is often accompanied by an insider's story.

Hopefully this adds some additional background perspective for you.

SkyMilesInsider
Scoop....I believe there is a major misunderstanding what your current role as SMI is versus your role as Scoop was....it might be worth pointing the differences out for all again....but regardless I know many (including myself) do greatly appreciate the time and effort you take to interact with us both online and in person (which at times is on your own personal time)....you are a true asset to the new DL.....we all just hope they know and understand it

LAX? SEA? SLC? SFO?
I'm game for any of them. ^
Just let me know far enough in advance...
I think he was referring to the OTHER west coast...how about HNL, OGG, LIH or GUM? (Of course he was also assuming DL would provide a special charter for us all to attend for free)

Originally Posted by jackplum
Or AUA, CUN, EYW, ELH etc would work for me!
oh those west coast locations are much better

Last edited by Canarsie; May 8, 2010 at 11:28 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old May 5, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Thank You

I have lurked a lot and posted a lot and just wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU to SkyMilesInsider for all the work and dedication you have put into listening to those in our community and providing insight into the thought process that goes on behind the scenes at Delta!

THANK YOU!!!
Old May 6, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Please don't misunderstand the intent. It was not my wish to be percieved as being disingenuous in any way - so I apologize if that is the way it was taken.

While part of the reason for limiting PMs to those whom I meet in person is about volume, the other part of it is genuinely wanting to meet you and provide an incentive for you to attend DOs (in their various forms) that I will continue to attend, schedule permitting. Meeting you in person gives us both a great opportunity.
Again, thanks for the direct dialogue. It really is appreciated as compared to the kind of dialogue we were able to have here with DL's rep pre-merger.

I am fully prepared to get completely slammed for this, but ...

A certain type of frequent flier attends a DO. And, I would argue that type of flier doesn't necessarily represent an accurate cross-section of your most loyal customers. Similarly, the larger FT community probably also doesn't accurately represent a cross-section of your most loyal customers.

First, there are the logistics. My job requires predominately LAST MINUTE travel. For instance, since I last posted to this thread, I've been on three DL flights, with two more tonight _ all but one were bought less than three days in advance, and the flights I am on tonight were bought yesterday. Intense business travel has a profound impact on one's life and often makes one unable to control their own personal schedule.

Second, can I take time off and make plans in advance? Absolutely. But, I choose what, in my opinion, are far more important life events to make those commitments to. For example, the flights I bought yesterday were bought so that I could make it in time to see my little brother graduate from college. To be frank, taking time off from my job to attend a DO (based on the descriptions of them that I've read here) is not a priority.

What is a priority is getting the system to work right. Not just the awards system, but the entire DL system.

For instance, why does it seem that anytime IRROPS impact ATL, instead of delaying flights to a time that represents a realistic departure time, DL chooses to delay flights in 10, 15, 20 minute increments until, all of a sudden, the delay adds up to two hours? When I am trying to communicate with people on the ground at my destination and I am often put in the position of telling them that my flight is only delayed 20 minutes when it ends up landing 3 hours late.

Why does almost every gate agent working a DL flight alone in ATL (the vast majority) seem completely overwhelmed by the task of preparing the flight to board, to the point that, often, the plane, the cabin crew, the ground crew and the passengers are ready to board, but we're left standing there while an obviously "in the weeds" gate agent tries to deal with some glitch in the computer system?

Those are just two examples. There are more.

So, the question I pose is, if you want to meet your most loyal customers in person, how can that be accomplished outside the DO model?
Old May 8, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL PM; US Silver;Mariott+SPG+Hyatt Gold; Hertz 5*; National Car Emerald; Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jbatl
Again, thanks for the direct dialogue. It really is appreciated as compared to the kind of dialogue we were able to have here with DL's rep pre-merger.
Agreed ^ I appreciate the updates SMI

First, there are the logistics. My job requires predominately LAST MINUTE travel. For instance, since I last posted to this thread, I've been on three DL flights, with two more tonight _ all but one were bought less than three days in advance, and the flights I am on tonight were bought yesterday. Intense business travel has a profound impact on one's life and often makes one unable to control their own personal schedule.
I am in the same boat. I purchase most of my flights 4-6 days before travel. It makes it quite difficult to know where I will be..

Second, can I take time off and make plans in advance? Absolutely. But, I choose what, in my opinion, are far more important life events to make those commitments to. For example, the flights I bought yesterday were bought so that I could make it in time to see my little brother graduate from college. To be frank, taking time off from my job to attend a DO (based on the descriptions of them that I've read here) is not a priority.
I've even tried just local FT DO's in SAN and its been hard to get to those (even though they seem to enjoy a certain Mexican restaurant that's no more than 4 miles from my home...)

So, the question I pose is, if you want to meet your most loyal customers in person, how can that be accomplished outside the DO model?
Yeah, if there are other ways... Are there ever times you're at the ATL Skyclubs or in ATL airport in general? If so, I would be glad to meet at an ATL Skyclub... Perhaps SMI can be in a skyclub once per month to spend a a few hours to meet with FTers? Maybe a friday afternoon/evening at Terminal E former BizElite lounge?

Not sure if its feasible, but just thought I'd suggest something
Old May 11, 2010, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by apados
Perhaps SMI can be in a skyclub once per month to spend a a few hours to meet with FTers? Maybe a friday afternoon/evening at Terminal E former BizElite lounge?
A regular thing that doesn't require a full day commitment! ^@:-) Maybe a couple of hours at the end of the week where even SMI could unwind with a cocktail (if that's allowed). Maybe the CR location could vary (E one week, A Centerpoint the next) I would make a sincere attempt to plan my travel to either leave or arrive with time to stop by.
Old May 12, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I have had several communications with SMI and his staff and every one has been handeled and taken care of. Some not how I would have liked them, others with great suprises, but I feel that SMI is doing what he can do, taking our concerns to the proper people within the company. I don't think I could do his job and glad I am not, but I am sure there are times when his hands are tied and he can't do anything about the problem but take it to the proper department.

Keep the GOOD changes coming.
Old May 12, 2010, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by iCorpRoadie
I have had several communications with SMI and his staff and every one has been handeled and taken care of. Some not how I would have liked them, others with great suprises, but I feel that SMI is doing what he can do, taking our concerns to the proper people within the company.
May I ask, did you get this access because you attended a DO? Or, were you able to build a relationship with SMI via another route?
Old May 15, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Question

SMI - care to respond to the massive devaluation being experienced by those who received paper PMU for qualification in 2010? See here, for example.
Old May 19, 2010, 6:48 am

Programs: Delta DM
May I ask, did you get this access because you attended a DO? Or, were you able to build a relationship with SMI via another route?
It was not because of a DO but thru another route taken. But if you have an issue he will help take care of it if you contact him.
Old May 19, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
It's getting worse overall, not just in award-related features.
Seems a number of things are getting worse.

I just experienced problems using delta.com to purchase a revenue ticket.

I first did a search by price: If I selected an outbound via MEM (preferred schedule), it would only provide me with a couple of crappy return options. If I selected any outbound via ATL, it allowed me pretty much any return schedule. The fare class and fare designators were the same whether via MEM or ATL.

After calling web support, reservations (who would gladly sell it for a service fee), and trying to book via schedule (instead of price) and not getting anywhere, I went to a competitor and booked a ticket with a schedule similar to what I needed for the same price.
Old May 19, 2010, 8:51 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Seems a number of things are getting worse.

I just experienced problems using delta.com to purchase a revenue ticket.

I first did a search by price: If I selected an outbound via MEM (preferred schedule), it would only provide me with a couple of crappy return options. If I selected any outbound via ATL, it allowed me pretty much any return schedule. The fare class and fare designators were the same whether via MEM or ATL.

After calling web support, reservations (who would gladly sell it for a service fee), and trying to book via schedule (instead of price) and not getting anywhere, I went to a competitor and booked a ticket with a schedule similar to what I needed for the same price.
When I run into that problem, I just use Kayak to research the schedule/pricing options I want, then click through to DL to complete the transaction.
Old May 19, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Kayak

+1

This is the same process I use. I find what I want on Kayak (price, schedule, routing) then click over to Delta to book the ticket. Never fails.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
When I run into that problem, I just use Kayak to research the schedule/pricing options I want, then click through to DL to complete the transaction.
Thanks, extremely helpful to know. ^

FWIW, the itins I've had problems with lately on delta.com have been simple and routine .. i.e.: aaa-hub-bbb // bbb-hub-aaa.

Have only used Kayak to compare prices between carriers and always go to the source directly to book. Will give this a shot next time delta.com acts up and doesn't display the connections I want, or only displays the 5:00am options when I requested evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.