763's to nrt from west coast

Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:57 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
I think it was a miscalculation on DL's part to remove the A330 from service this summer on SFO-NRT. SFO is UL's largest west coast hub, and the A330 was a potent weapon DL had against anything UL has. This levels the playing field in a way that the spreadsheet crankers in ATL won't be able to understand except in hindsight. I am already looking at ANA and UL for my Asia flights going forward.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jpdx
When the PDX downgrades were announced last year, I vowed to connect via SEA/LAX/SFO rather than flying on the ratty old 763s. However, considering that the connection adds a couple of hours of travel time in the best case scenario (and much more under some circumstances when AF or KE are involved), I actually found myself using the 763 nonstops for most of my trips. Yes, the seats are ridiculously outdated, the IFE screen is a joke, and the cabin has that distinct old plane feel to it, BUT I'd much rather spend 12.5 hrs traveling from PDX to MUC (via AMS) than 15 hrs via SEA and AMS (or worse, CDG). Adding stopovers on the way to Asia is an even greater waste of time; nothing is more frustrating than flying to LAX on AS, and then seeing Portland on the moving map of the DL/KE flight some 5-6 hours after you left.

For those who aren't swayed by time savings alone, I am very happy with the Portland crews. Truly some of the friendliest and most excellent flight crews I have ever experienced. Most of these folks are just happy to have their home base back, and it shows!
I think this pretty much sums it up. I genuinely struggle to see what has really changed. Much of the 763 service serves city pairs that don't have clearly superior options. You want to fly PDX-NRT? Then either choose non-stop or connect. You want to fly ATL-CPH? Then either choose non-stop or connect. Even for those city pairs where there are better options, it isn't clear that DL can't still compete on price or simply serve the capacity that the others don't have room for.

Frankly, I don't think the issue is that some overstate the quality of the 763 product, but that some overstate the quality of the A330 product. You want to fly SFO-NRT? You have 3 different options and, all else being equal, it isn't clear one would, hands-down, choose a DL A330 over any of the other options. You want to fly SEA-ZRH? You have several options and I struggle to see how the A330 rises above the pack.

If one genuinely cares as much about service, cleanliness, food, IFE, and seating (to the exclusion of cost or schedule) as some like to pretend to, then there were always better options than NW or DL (at least using the criteria and quality assessments from many here). One would have never been flying SEA-SIN on NW in the first place, if the difference were as dramatic as some want to make it seem.

Originally Posted by mikelevitt
I think tolerable means that you enjoy the generous 1/2 inch of width you gain when you upgrade to the BE product on the 767! Or maybe that you enjoy that while most other carriers use a 2-1-2 config in business, smart Delta uses 2-2-2, allowing you to sit closer to your neighbor in a smaller seat with less pitch so you can enjoy more "intimacy with strangers" a feature of "best in class."
It isn't actually true that most carriers use a 2-1-2 configuration on the 767, but don't let facts get in the way of a rant.

Last edited by pbarnette; Apr 21, 2010 at 2:57 am
Old Apr 21, 2010, 3:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Do all these carriers fly PDX-NRT non stop?

The OP can surely connect via other DL cities and have access to a Flat Bed / Lie Flat product. If I were PDX based, I'd have no issues with a nonstop on a 763 vs connecting for a flat bed.
If the OP was "PDX based," he wouldn't have posted this yesterday. Therefore, I have to assume that he's thinking about LAX or SFO, from which there are much better options.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
It isn't actually true that most carriers use a 2-1-2 configuration on the 767, but don't let facts get in the way of a rant.
Sure, if you include domestic 2-2-2 recliner configurations then it's would be the case. You can't just look at raw seat guru numbers, you need to actually look at how many 2-2-2 recliner configs are international.

I did 2-1-2 on CO and that was okay at best. 2-2-2 is out of step with the BE service standard DL is trying to claim it lives up to and is a downgrade for people used to have PMNW metal on a route.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by snowboard1219
Well thanks for the quick reply and the welcome! Am I mistaken? I thought that the delta 763's were the ones that had seats that didn't go anywhere near flat and that had tiny ptv's that you cant even watch while your seat is fully reclined. I believe the reason I dislike this route so much is because before pvg-atl was cancelled and they were still flying the 763's I flew in BE and was crammed in that little seat with a small ptv for 14 hours and it left a bad taste in my mouth.
DL only had 777s on ATL-PVG-ATL. No way could a 763 make that.

Also
SEA-PEK
SEA-KIX
PDX-NRT
SFO-NRT
NRT-PVG
NRT-GUM
NRT-PEK will all see the 763 this year but please note, Delta will be adding PTVs/AVOD nose to tail and Lie-flat seats(and winglets) to all of the 763 fleet, will be done by 2013.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by motytrah
2-2-2 is out of step with the BE service standard DL is trying to claim it lives up to and is a downgrade for people used to have PMNW metal on a route.
2-2-2 in BE isn't a surprise for anyone who looks at a seat map, be it on Delta.com or SeatGuru. Since objective information - pitch, width, style - is readily available for seating the argument for a subjective interpretation 'BE service standard' is weakened.

As for being worse than NW metal, that depends. The 767-300ER has every at-seat amenity offered by the 747-400, an aircraft which NW brought into the combined fleet with no coach AVOD or power, nor public plans for either.

The A330s are nicer and newer than the 767-300ERs, but it's a bit spurious to suggest all routes would have retained A330-200 service in the travel downturn. As pbarnette notes, the option could well be 767 or no non-stop service. (Don't forget that NW parked or sold off some relatively young Airbus narrowbodies in bankruptcy, so relative fuel efficiency may not be enough to justify operation of every aircraft. NW - absent Delta - might well have parked an A330 rather than operating PDX-NRT.) If somebody headed to NRT wants to connect at LAX or SEA rather than take a non-stop from PDX or SFO, go for it - though that's not a choice I would make.

On the other hand it's appropriate to acknowledge Delta's efforts to build the Asian network with JFK-NRT; DTW-ICN and DTW-HKG with 777s, and SEA-KIX, SEA-PEK - routes NW couldn't justify with its A330/744 fleet.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by motytrah
Sure, if you include domestic 2-2-2 recliner configurations then it's would be the case. You can't just look at raw seat guru numbers, you need to actually look at how many 2-2-2 recliner configs are international.
Among the US carriers, UA, AA, & DL all have a 2-2-2 config for international planes. Aeroflot, BA, JL, Austrian, LOT, & LAN are also 2-2-2. Those carriers constitute far, far more than half of all currently operating international 767s. The only carrier with international 767 fleets of any size that are 2-1-2 (or better) are AC and CO, and both combined would still lag either DL or AA in terms of fleet. Many of the rest of the 767s in service are with charter carriers or, like the QF fleet, feature domestic-F style pitch.

I seriously doubt that there are even 100 767s operating with a J cabin that features 2-1-2 seating and an international J seat.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
2-2-2 in BE isn't a surprise for anyone who looks at a seat map, be it on Delta.com or SeatGuru. Since objective information - pitch, width, style - is readily available for seating the argument for a subjective interpretation 'BE service standard' is weakened.

As for being worse than NW metal, that depends. The 767-300ER has every at-seat amenity offered by the 747-400, an aircraft which NW brought into the combined fleet with no coach AVOD or power, nor public plans for either.

The A330s are nicer and newer than the 767-300ERs, but it's a bit spurious to suggest all routes would have retained A330-200 service in the travel downturn. As pbarnette notes, the option could well be 767 or no non-stop service. (Don't forget that NW parked or sold off some relatively young Airbus narrowbodies in bankruptcy, so relative fuel efficiency may not be enough to justify operation of every aircraft. NW - absent Delta - might well have parked an A330 rather than operating PDX-NRT.) If somebody headed to NRT wants to connect at LAX or SEA rather than take a non-stop from PDX or SFO, go for it - though that's not a choice I would make.

On the other hand it's appropriate to acknowledge Delta's efforts to build the Asian network with JFK-NRT; DTW-ICN and DTW-HKG with 777s, and SEA-KIX, SEA-PEK - routes NW couldn't justify with its A330/744 fleet.
Wow this is an interesting post....NWA is no more, hasn't been for quite sometime (Remember the DL folks have been in charge now for over 18 months)

NWA couldn't justify those routes? Seems to me many of them were only stopped as a result of recent demand changes (heck I still have my Inaugural gift for attending the launch party for DTW-PEK way back in the mid 90's)...now that demand is coming back DL is only reinstating the routes
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I am not sure I understand this, we're talking about business class and you seem to be talking about economy cabins. First you have the seat difference- I am not saying the NW330 seat is great, but it's tolerable, and it's certainly a better "at seat" experience than the DL767 seat.

The real issue I have with these threads is the way people try to defend DL, and they often just point at the former NW, as if that will somehow justify why DL cannot compete with CX, SQ or even (747) UA and AC and some KE. To be clear, I am not trying to say NW was way better. For years prior to the DL integration, I was vocal that NW needed to start thinking about the next best thing b/c angle flat was on its way out as a competitive premium product. Whether business class in the 767 is "worse" or "far worse" from the experience in the 330s is only a small portion of the discussion here. The reality is that the 767 isn't competitive with west coast transpacs on other carriers that charge about the same fares.

To the statements that a direct flight on a 767 is always better than a one stop, well yes and no, and when you put some context around the actual flights and take this out of a hypothetical then I am not so sure.

The comments here all assume that all flyers are stopping in Tokyo, and while the OP seems to fit that category, many people are going to cities other than Tokyo and so that logic that the 767 is the best option across the pacific weakens. If you are headed to HKG, ICN, BKK or SIN, DL wont get you there nonstop and so whatever appeal a nonstop on a 767 may have gets lost. Additionally, while I agree that some people do not like connections, if you have one of those jobs that requires you to surgically insert yourself half-way round the world and sound alive (and you actually need sleep to do that) then a 2 hour flight up or down the west coast is a small front end cost to pay as compared to going a day early to "recover" from a sub-prime seat experience.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by moondog
If the OP was "PDX based," he wouldn't have posted this yesterday. Therefore, I have to assume that he's thinking about LAX or SFO, from which there are much better options.
Perhaps you missed this:
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Forgive me, I have no idea where I got PDX from.

Regardless, my point still remains. DL has more nonstop flights to international destinations than any other US based carrier. Yes, 763's with recliners make up a large percentage of these flights, however I (and a lot of others) would rather a nonstop on a 763 than a connection on an 330.

I used to fly JFK-OTP frequently on a 763 with recliners. It was a fantastic option for getting to Bucharest. Now I have to connect in either CDG or AMS. Give me the 763 with recliners any day. Admittedly, it's not the best product, however good enough for me.

Cheers
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:28 am

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
DL only had 777s on ATL-PVG-ATL. No way could a 763 make that.

Also
SEA-PEK
SEA-KIX
PDX-NRT
SFO-NRT
NRT-PVG
NRT-GUM
NRT-PEK will all see the 763 this year but please note, Delta will be adding PTVs/AVOD nose to tail and Lie-flat seats(and winglets) to all of the 763 fleet, will be done by 2013.
I'll believe it when I see it. They have been talking about upgrading the 763s to full AVOD and Lie-flats for years, but kept on postponing it because of financial problems.

Also, my upcoming trip was going to be NRT-PDX with a connection to GEG or NRT-SEA-GEG. I was trying to avoid PDX, because they were running a 763 (actually a couple of the tickets on delta's site said 764s), by just going SEA, but they wouldnt let me get RT in and out of SEA. Ended up settling for a A330 to SFO with a connection to SLC-GEG on a CRJ-900, for the inbound and GEG-SEA-NRT on a A330 out.

Its a lot longer, but at least I am getting a lot of miles off it...

Anyone have suggestions for a 4 hour layover in SFO? First time going there.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
These are also routes that DL couldn't justify with its meager 777 fleet and old 763 fleet. These routes were only possible with the merger. They were able to take NW's 32 A330s (considerably more than the 777s DL had pre-merger) and redeploy them on routes to Europe. This left them with "extra" 777s to deploy on the former NW Asia network, something that NW worked at for years to build up and DL is simply taking advantage of. Nothing wrong with that as that's what you do in a merger. But...

...if you're going to give credit, give credit where credit is due. Anything regarding the "Asian network" is squarely a reflection of NW's efforts. Just as I wouldn't suggest the former NW take credit for the "European/African network" that is to be flown by A330s, you shouldn't do the same for the Asia routes, nor for route authorities that NW had pre-merger, such as JFK-NRT, SEA-KIX, SEA-PEK.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stephem
The DL faithful will swear these seats "aren't that bad" are "tolerable" or are actually preferred by them.
Not a DL faithful, but I actually will say they are not that bad and tolerable.

Originally Posted by jpdx
Yes, the seats are ridiculously outdated, the IFE screen is a joke
+1, seats are outdated and IFE is a joke. Screens are terribly small, but again the seat is tolerable.

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Frankly, I don't think the issue is that some overstate the quality of the 763 product, but that some overstate the quality of the A330 product.
Interesting point. I agree with you somewhat. I think I'd give the A330 the thumbs up over the 763, but will agree that it isn't that significant. I'd choose A330 over 767 anyway, but wouldn't be absolutely upset to fly the 767.

Originally Posted by stephem
I am not sure I understand this, we're talking about business class and you seem to be talking about economy cabins. First you have the seat difference- I am not saying the NW330 seat is great, but it's tolerable, and it's certainly a better "at seat" experience than the DL767 seat.
+1, as previously stated.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Tolerable by what standards?

They are certainly tolerable if we turn the clock back eleven years and make pretend its 1999.
Thanks for the contribution, Mark.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold75, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Also, on another positive note Delta is upgrading the PDX-AMS route this summer to the A330. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.