Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Inventory Available But Not Upgraded

Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum

The title basically says it all. I've called SMS three times within my 24hr. silver window about this and still have yet to be moved up front. The first time I was given a basically clueless response. The second time, about 6 hrs ago, the agent said upgrade inventory was available and, presumably, manually entered the upgrade request. Still nothing. Called again just a few minutes ago and got the "upgrade inventory has to be available, yada, yada" reply. According to EF it is available, to the tune of X=8, and there are 9 unassigned J seats!

The flight is tomorrow afternoon, ATL-RDU, and the front cabin is categorized as business. Can anyone shed any light on what's going on here? Currently, I'm #2 on the upgrade list, so it'll probably happen eventually, but who knows.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:23 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by arkangel
The title basically says it all. I've called SMS three times within my 24hr. silver window about this and still have yet to be moved up front. The first time I was given a basically clueless response. The second time, about 6 hrs ago, the agent said upgrade inventory was available and, presumably, manually entered the upgrade request. Still nothing. Called again just a few minutes ago and got the "upgrade inventory has to be available, yada, yada" reply. According to EF it is available, to the tune of X=8, and there are 9 unassigned J seats!

The flight is tomorrow afternoon, ATL-RDU, and the front cabin is categorized as business. Can anyone shed any light on what's going on here? Currently, I'm #2 on the upgrade list, so it'll probably happen eventually, but who knows.
Have you made any changes to your itin? Are any segments on a/ls other than DL? Did you purchase on travelocity or orbitz and then have a schedule change? If so, your record could become unhooked, however an experienced agent should be able to fix it and the u/g should happen immediately. I can't really define unhooked for you (maybe some of the RES or PSS peeps could), but I have had a couple of PSS agents use that term when my u/gs weren't happening and they were able to re-hook it.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.175 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by ADLFO

Have you made any changes to your itin? Are any segments on a/ls other than DL? Did you purchase on travelocity or orbitz and then have a schedule change? If so, your record could become unhooked, however an experienced agent should be able to fix it and the u/g should happen immediately. I can't really define unhooked for you (maybe some of the RES or PSS peeps could), but I have had a couple of PSS agents use that term when my u/gs weren't happening and they were able to re-hook it.
If I remember correctly, "de-hooked" is when the reservation is not associated anymore with the SM # or the available inventory...
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Remove and then re-add your SM number to your reservation. This should resync things and your upgrade should come through.

-RM
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta, United
Did you ever think that perhaps, just perhaps that that Delta finds they can sell those seats at the last minute so they are not going to release them until the last minute.

Sheesh, like others have said ad nauseum if you really want to sit in FC buy the damn ticket. Otherwise if you are so sure being #2 on the list will get you the seat why all the drama????????????
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:55 am

Programs: DL PM
Drama indeed. Such a long flight! (about 50 minutes on average)
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Did you ever think that perhaps, just perhaps that that Delta finds they can sell those seats at the last minute so they are not going to release them until the last minute.

Sheesh, like others have said ad nauseum if you really want to sit in FC buy the damn ticket. Otherwise if you are so sure being #2 on the list will get you the seat why all the drama????????????
The OP's point is that upgrade inventory is available, so the upgrade should be processed.

This is not the typical "there are 256 open seats in FC, why don't I have my upgrade "thread.

David
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:39 am

Are you looking at the correct upgrade class X is for Business Class and V is for domestic upgrades and I see no V inventory available for today or tomorrow.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:45 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Bigpops
Are you looking at the correct upgrade class X is for Business Class and V is for domestic upgrades and I see no V inventory available for today or tomorrow.
According to EF it is available, to the tune of X=8, and there are 9 unassigned J seats!

The flight is tomorrow afternoon, ATL-RDU, and the front cabin is categorized as business..
It would seem that the OP is looking for the correct upgrade class. @:-)
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah seriously... don't people read a post before bashing the OP? Inventory is available, even an agent said so, and the OP upgrade didn't process. That means something is broken with his ticket or in the system.
I hope he ended up getting the upgrade.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
You said you're #2 on the upgrade list? If there's upgrade inventory available, then there should be no one on the upgrade list at all. Sounds like a DL IT problem here.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
I am based in RDU and have NEVER had UG pulled out of X.

That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but I just checked my account and in ~100 ATL-RDU flights in the last 12 months, they ALL appear as V UG's in my account. YMMV and past performance is not an indicator of future blah blah blah, but...

I would also add that ATL-RDU is famous for BF UGs, even as a PM/DM. Too bad no GIDS at RDU.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
All,
Just to confirm so that the OP doesn't feel like they're getting the short end of the stick here...

Upgrade inventory WAS available on the flight. I confirmed it via ExpertFlyer when I read the OP's post yesterday.

Upgrade inventory for this particular flight will come out of the X bucket because the flight is sold as Business (J/D/I/Z) class rather than First class. It's the only flight of the day marketed as such so it's probably a continuation of an international flight.

-RM
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar

Originally Posted by cellist
Drama indeed. Such a long flight! (about 50 minutes on average)
There was no drama in this thread until you two decided to pile on the OP. It was straight facts up until then... but you two decided to add the drama.

This matter has nothing to do with the length of the flight, be it 50 minutes, 5 hours, or 5 minutes.

The FFP has rules.

DL management requires that we conform to the rules.

The OP has a perfect right to expect DL management to conform to the rules.

The seat was there, the upgrade bucket was there, the system was not giving the OP the FC seat he had earned and was deserving of.

No one in this thread (and, certainly not you) has directly questioned the validity of the OP facts.

But you come into the thread all emotional and full of drama and trash the OP.

For one of you, factual analysis appears to be just beyond the edge of your radar screen.

The other should spend a period of time, somewhat longer than the duration of your next hemidemisemiquaver, and try reading the thread for comprehension this time.

Then, perhaps you would have the basis for a drama-free post.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Happened to me too on ORD-ATL last year. No one seemed to be able to figure it out for days. Plenty of V inventory, and I could log into DL.com and select the same flights to see upgrades as "Available" but I still hadn't cleared. I started pushing it as the GM window passed and then insisted they fix it before the Silver window approached. Their weapon of choice ended up being rebooking me in Y.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-clearing.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.