Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta no longer has fees for "close-in" award travel... wait! they got added back...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta no longer has fees for "close-in" award travel... wait! they got added back...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 2:33 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
That is great, and a smart move by DL
as it really changes the psychology.

If I didn't find availability before 21 days,
I was pissed off enough to just stay away.

Now, I'll be tempted to come back for another look
if other redemption paths don't work out.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 2:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion, AA Executive Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP
Has anyone noticed that Silver Elites aren't mentioned AT ALL on the link http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...d_travel_fees/ ? Slowly but surely Delta has effectively made 2010 Gold the equivalent of Silver in previous years. It looks like Silver, Gold, and Plat are now known as Gold, Plat, and Diamond, with silver slowly being phased out until it becomes nothing but a symbolic status.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 2:41 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by mike101
It looks like Silver, Gold, and Plat are now known as Gold, Plat, and Diamond, with silver slowly being phased out until it becomes nothing but a symbolic status.
You know, I had noticed that @:-)
And just after making MM and lifetime Silver from the NW Merge.

Last edited by MrHalliday; Apr 14, 2010 at 2:42 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 14, 2010, 4:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...d_travel_fees/

When did Delta get rid of the fees for booking "last-minute" award reservations online? Great job, Delta. Thanks! ^^

Also, on that same link, when it says "Direct Ticketing", does that mean ticketing via the phone? So, that means there is no fee (for Gold and Platinums) for booking award tickets over the phone, right?

If so, good stuff.
Excellent news!!! A step in the right direction for sure!^
Old Apr 14, 2010, 4:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Has anyone noticed that Silver Elites aren't mentioned AT ALL on the link http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...d_travel_fees/ ? Slowly but surely Delta has effectively made 2010 Gold the equivalent of Silver in previous years. It looks like Silver, Gold, and Plat are now known as Gold, Plat, and Diamond, with silver slowly being phased out until it becomes nothing but a symbolic status.
DL has Silvers fall under "All Other Members". Welcome to yet another way in which DL's million milers are worse off than AA, CO and UA's million milers.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
DL has Silvers fall under "All Other Members". Welcome to yet another way in which DL's million milers are worse off than AA, CO and UA's million milers.
I wonder if Delta has a higher then expected surge in Silvers this year...from the 5-15k MQM Gift last year, the Rollover MQMs, and all other promos..

Last edited by Winkdaddy; Apr 14, 2010 at 5:16 am
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
You would think they would make it more public rather than just letting us find out about it.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by hnewman
You would think they would make it more public rather than just letting us find out about it.
+1

But that's been their :-: Best in Class :-: style all along.

This is a step in the right direction but won't win our business back. At least our 150K remaining SkyMiles are now a viable option for funeral runs & other emergencies.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:10 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
It is a good move

Thank you DL,

There are two things remaining on the award section (the search calender, and the actual availability). I hope Revenue mgt is also looking into working on the last one and making it better...
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by JeffISU
Well technically they do in the disguised form of a much higher fare.
Exactly. ^

The close-in fee is no doubt intended to equalize the cost calculation of a customer between a revenue ticket and an award ticket for last-minute travel.

David
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
+1

This is a step in the right direction but won't win our business back. At least our 150K remaining SkyMiles are now a viable option for funeral runs & other emergencies.
+1 What will win our business back is if Delta returns Low award availabilities comparable to the competition and remains competitive price wise as far as paid tickets. This week I am taking US Airways out of MSP (NWA's former HQ) due to the double EQM promotion and incidentally because US Airways has been consistently cheaper than Delta from MSP on certain routes. Hard to believe that Delta isn't the cheapest anymore out of MSP, and why would someone choose a more expensive airline that offers less Low awards when there are so many other airlines that would gladly offer a more reasonable price?

Delta: Please wake up! You can't keep driving your customers away
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
No airline gives up any source of revenue without recouping it elsewhere. So ask yourself, where is DL making up this revenue stream from? I don't know the answer.

Good news about the close-in award fees going away though.

-RM
Scary to even think about where the fees will come from next.

They will recoup the revenue by regaining the trust of their FFs. Currently, everyone is deserting DL for their deceptive and manipulative practices.
If DL continues to make moves like this, I think they will and fully agree with you.

Originally Posted by florin
Kudos to DL for removing the stupid fees! ^

The mileage redeposit/reissue fee went up to $150 though for anyone less than Plat.

There's ALWAYS a catch...
^ to removing the fees, many of my family members will be happy about this. for the reward redeposits though.

Originally Posted by hnewman
+1. DL never has been good about communication, but you'd think if they did something actually "best in class" they'd at least take credit for it.

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
+1

Sadly it has been. So many changes were implemented silently that without FT I would have never known.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
This just went into effect: https://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_m...fees/index.jsp

On Monday DL was still trying to charge the close-in booking fees and doing so.

DL deserves a big ^ for this customer-friendly move.

.... now if only DL were to stop being as miserly with "low" priced award inventory as it is.
Weird because I booked a close in (ie within 2 hours of the flight sitting on a plane from SNA-SLC using GOGO) award two months ago and had to pay no fees or anything other than the small taxes.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by majorwibi
Weird because I booked a close in (ie within 2 hours of the flight sitting on a plane from SNA-SLC using GOGO) award two months ago and had to pay no fees or anything other than the small taxes.
I believe these fees were waived for Platinums and Diamonds back then. Now it's waived for everyone period.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by florin
Kudos to DL for removing the stupid fees! ^

The mileage redeposit/reissue fee went up to $150 though for anyone less than Plat.

There's ALWAYS a catch...
In that case, Delta can go screw itself, and I withdraw my earlier "kudos". Wow, what a disappointment... I went to bed last night thinking DL had actually done something customer-friendly.

Why can't DL just throw people a bone without taking something away with the other hand?

$150 to change a "free" ticket -- are they kidding??!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.