Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta no longer has fees for "close-in" award travel... wait! they got added back...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta no longer has fees for "close-in" award travel... wait! they got added back...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by zsmith2
They did reduce the fees by $50 on changing/redeposit fees.
Uh, wasn't it $100 for changing before this whole thing started?

If one day before I have a big sale, I increase prices by $50, and then take $50 off the next day and call it, "Big Sale, save $50", isn't that pretty misleading? Weren't award changes just $50 a bit over a year ago?
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Uh, wasn't it $100 for changing before this whole thing started?

If one day before I have a big sale, I increase prices by $50, and then take $50 off the next day and call it, "Big Sale, save $50", isn't that pretty misleading? Weren't award changes just $50 a bit over a year ago?
Yes...everything was $50. And then award changes were $75. And then $100. And then $150. And now they are $100 again.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Yes...everything was $50. And then award changes were $75. And then $100. And then $150. And now they are $100 again.
I know it's almost a year later, but delta.com shows them at $150 again. Are these constant changes meant to confuse customers? Is $150 the official change and redeposit fee for non-elites now??
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:47 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I know it's almost a year later, but delta.com shows them at $150 again. Are these constant changes meant to confuse customers? Is $150 the official change and redeposit fee for non-elites now??
I think so:

Q. What will the redeposit fee be if I cancel an Award booking?
The redeposit fee is based on the date of cancellation. As of June 2, the fee will be $150. This fee is waived for Diamond and Platinum Medallion members.
https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...ates/index.jsp
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:01 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Ouch! If that's true then it really stinks. $150 is too steep for an award change/redeposit.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by florin
Ouch! If that's true then it really stinks. $150 is too steep for an award change/redeposit.
It is what it is. It's also waived for PM and DM.

Given SkyPeso devaluation, they really need a fee to prevent the average person from changing to a lower band award. If it were only $50, it'd probably be worth it to save 15K SkyPesos. At $150, not so much.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Given SkyPeso devaluation, they really need a fee to prevent the average person from changing to a lower band award. If it were only $50, it'd probably be worth it to save 15K SkyPesos. At $150, not so much.
Delta doesn't NEED any more fees. $50 to save 15k SkyPesos... I would certainly hesitate. I really doubt people change their awards all that much. The ones who do change their awards are the ones experienced enough to find them in the first place and also obsessed enough to keep searching. Think FT crowd... definitely not a majority. The ones with enough miles and experience to keep playing with miles are likely PMs and DMs, who don't pay the fee anyway. So to me it doesn't make that much sense.

Be that as it may, I would feel more comfortable with $75. $150 is just too steep.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: AA/BA/DL/US Air
Originally Posted by florin
Delta doesn't NEED any more fees. $50 to save 15k SkyPesos... I would certainly hesitate. I really doubt people change their awards all that much. The ones who do change their awards are the ones experienced enough to find them in the first place and also obsessed enough to keep searching. Think FT crowd... definitely not a majority. The ones with enough miles and experience to keep playing with miles are likely PMs and DMs, who don't pay the fee anyway. So to me it doesn't make that much sense.

Be that as it may, I would feel more comfortable with $75. $150 is just too steep.
I'm one of those obsessed enough to keep searching. Back when it was $50, I would book a low saver with connections early on, then switch when the non-stop opened up at the saver miles, but not at $150.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:41 am

Now that it's 2015, is there a close-in fee for award booking? It's not listed here, so I assume it's gone?

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...vice-fees.html
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
No close-in/<21 day award booking fee. It's been gone for a while. The point of the link is to show it's been gone for some time. Check for current info on other carriers.

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/09/savi...-booking-fees/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.