Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta no longer has fees for "close-in" award travel... wait! they got added back...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta no longer has fees for "close-in" award travel... wait! they got added back...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Looks like they've been added back.....Somebody can't make up their mind!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:48 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by zsmith2
Maybe we should change the title of the thread again?
How about: The Delta "close-in" award fee ping pong thread
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Evan!
How about: The Delta "close-in" award fee ping pong thread
LOL
As soon as they were gone they were put back again....
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Flip-flopping like a politician. However I logged in under my account (general member with Gold AMEX), my wife's (general member NO AMEX), and without logging in at all, and NO CLOSE-IN FEES for award bookings. Tried < 7 days, < 14, and < 21, all come up w/o fee. I think we're driving ourselves nuts trying to follow the website changes, but the better question is what's happening on the DL side?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Less than thirty minutes later. Compare this to the screen shot in post #150.

Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:01 am

FYI

OK you can take it FWIW but this is what it says on our intranet:
"For redemptions made between April 13, 2010 and April 20, 2010 the award redemption fee will be waived for all members."
On April 21 a new set of fees will be implemented.....but will be lower then they currently are!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
FYI

"For redemptions made between April 13, 2010 and April 20, 2010 the award redemption fee will be waived for all members."
On April 21 a new set of fees will be implemented.....but will be lower then they currently are!
That last paragraph (starting with "On April 21") seems to create confusion. How do you get lower "close-in" award travel fees than e current fee of $0?

Were you provided with something that indicated to you that most SkyMiles members can expect lower "close-in" award fees than even the fees charged at this time last week?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Were you provided with something that indicated to you that most SkyMiles members can expect lower "close-in" award fees than even the fees charged at this time last week?
I'm sorry if I confused you with the word currently...but I guess it should be previously. Yes the new prices were posted and are lower then the "previous" redemption fees.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
FYI

I (Silver) did a test booking last night & that appears to be the case. I only would have been charged $5 for the security fees.

This continuing flip-flop is a web server issue.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
So the new fees ARE zero as in this post? Maybe I should just wait for the official announcement from DL . Time to go outside and play.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by JeffISU
So the new fees ARE zero
As per my post above until April 20.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
As of 5 min ago, fees are back. Somehow I feel like some programmer at DL is getting a kick out of this thread.

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
- no first class (um, what do you mean "regular people" don't care... um, yes we do.)
Let's be real. FC on DL ain't that great. Sure the product has improved seat wise from NW's old seats for us NW elites, but the food has gone way downhill for most domestic flights. If you've sat in coach lately, you'll realize it isn't that much worse.

- no elite lounges (what do you have to say about that? cricket, cricket...)
And SC's have improved how? The downgrades have caused massive number of pissed off life-timers and lack of renewals. You really think SC access is all that?

- no international travel at ALL (sorry, but for those of us that are not cultural invalids, we like to go to places outside the U.S. There is more to see in this world than 7 cities in Texas....)
Sure DL flies internationally, but have you tried to redeem anything internationally? Have you tried buying a reasonable M fare? Are you aware of the ridiculous fuel, partner, and origination surcharges? Comparing DL to WN and saying DL is "global" is only buying the DL spin.

And you're seating comparison? Please. If I was in First Class on ANY Delta flight, I'd have more legroom then the coach section of a WN plane. Done and done.
How's your UG% as a GM?

Please stop with these ridiculous comparisons. And if you want to rant all day about how WN isn't a "bus with wings", go back to the WN forum and post it there.

This is a forum about a real airline.
Actually it was you making ridiculous comparisons. This forum is about a FFP, not just about hard product. If you really value legitimate comparisons, start making comparisons with CO, AA, US, and UA. Start with award redemptions, the core of a FFP and you'll see how ridiculous your comparisons are.

Originally Posted by mike101
Wrong. This forum is about Delta's frequent flier program, SkyMiles. I guess that is where your confusion is because you've been thinking all this time that everyone is slamming Delta Airlines, which has good services but the most unpopular frequent flier program.

Do you fly any other major airline? I know you are a Gold Medallion on DL but for some reason you just seem to be on cloud 9 with with SkyMiles program which makes me think you really have no idea what's out there. If DL kept getting deserted at this rate, thanks to it's unpopular program, you'd be one of the few people in the future flying "Delta Southern Regional". I guess this is what you want (to be flying a regional airline in your area that get's you anywhere in a small area).

So if I were you, help make Delta better by "knowing" what the competition has to offer and doing your best to cry foul when Delta clearly rips off it's customers through their FF program. It's not about about getting freebies, it's about an airline honoring their word and providing what is advertised (realistically not technically). Do you really have a clue? Yes I need to ask you this because from your rude messages to other people you just seem to be here just to ruffle feathers and argue about a topic you have minimal knowledge on. Do you know anything about the AAdvantage program, Dividend Miles program, OnePass, WorldPerks, well enough? Or are you just in cloud 9 because SkyMiles is the only program you know of and you're assuming people just woke up on the wrong side of the bed.. wake up, SkyMiles is the most complained about among the competition period... because there is truly something that needs to be fixed, and standing in the way is just going to ruin your credibility.
+1
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
FYI

Evidently for Plats, but not for Golds. The familiar $75/$100/$150 close-in booking fees are back for Golds and below.

Compare this to UA, which eliminated all close-in booking fees and also allows one-way awards at half the RT value.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Evidently for Plats, but not for Golds. The familiar $75/$100/$150 close-in booking fees are back for Golds and below.

Compare this to UA, which eliminated all close-in booking fees and also allows one-way awards at half the RT value.
I dare you to book a close in award to see how much it costs....
I'll make a bet with you or at least until April 25.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Smoke and Mirrors and Beancounters, oh my!

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.