Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Spirit Airlines to charge for carry-ons...Hope Delta doesn't make that move

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spirit Airlines to charge for carry-ons...Hope Delta doesn't make that move

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:30 pm

Programs: DL Silver, USAir Silver, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Wow, this unbundling ala carte pricing model the airlines are going after is getting senseless.

Let's see what's been charged by airlines:
Pillows
"Select" seats
Priority Boarding
Checked luggage
Headsets
Movies
Meals

Anything else they can "unbundle"?
Seat Belts, seat belt release, oxygen masks(Anyone remember the SNL skit)

I all seriousness though, I hope DL doesn't do this but I wouldn't put it past them. Decisions like this will only continue to grow Southwest's customer base.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:35 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by MShea74
Spirit is the 6th smallest carrier in the USA, just before carriers like Colgan, Sky West and Aloha.

Because Delta senior executives have shown themselves to be 100% disconnected with all customers, and significantly less skilled than the majority of other large enterprise executive teams, I encourage everybody to stop the crystal ball peering.

The concept of charging people to have their medicine, cash, camera equipment and notebook computers in the cargo hold is inane to any executive with an IQ over 3.25.

The concept of charging customers in order to have the customers themselves maintain responsibility for such items by keeping them with them in the cabin is inane to any entry level businessperson with an IQ over 0.0.

Those numbers tell us all why not to ever fly Spirit and also why never to fly Delta beginning on the day that any such stupid move occurs with them.

They really have no clue whatsoever as to how to turn their business around, and it is truly hillarious to watch.

Fascinatingly, they have niether the guts nor the brains to charge people over 300 pounds for the extra weight and fuel required during flight.

Ladies and gentlemen, Delta executives cannot find their way out of a paper shopping bag. Talking about this subject here gives them a roadmap as to how to implement Spirit's failed policy at your expense.

...even though Delta executives cannot find the skill to follow the roadmap placed on this board as to how they can improve earnings dramatically while saving their ship.
Originally Posted by judolphin
This post should be framed.
I agree, MShea74 has made some brilliant observations, of which I concur almost 100%. My only slight disagreement is that I do not think that this will ever come to pass, because the FAA and TSA will never actually ever allow it to happen in a meaningful way. Yes, maybe for a couple of weeks on Spirit, but never on a big carrier.

Okay, so you are all probably wondering why I am saying this, and I am wondering why no one else picked up on this before me.

The FAA will not allow charges for bags both checked and carried on to stand is "damned if you do and damned if you don't." Since no one expects passengers to travel without clothes, or personal belongings, or business materials, as the case may be, how can the airlines reasonably charge people to both check and carry on? Checking luggage underneath is a reasonable inpediment to overpacking, and for the airlines to reasonably downsize to be profitable, and though not popular, totally reasonable. By training the flying public to carry on, the airlines have accomplished their goals in some, but not all ways. However, the FAA will determine that it is fundementally unfair to make people travel with no baggage of any kind, which is one possible goal of the new charge. The FAA will just decide that it is fundamentally unfair.

The TSA will not allow it, because it is considered to be a significant security problem for a passenger to fly with no luggage at all. With the additional charges, there will incentive for some passengers to fly with "only the clothes on their backs," and that will be a significant risk as far as the TSA is concerned. 'Nuff said?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL Silver, USAir Silver, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Not meaning to be condescending at all. In a group emergency, would you prefer to be with smart people as opposed to the other type?

And, without regard to standard excuses for doing so (like "I had no choice".), do smarter people stay in abusive relationships?

And what percentage of Delta's actions toward all customers during the last year have been abusive? 70%, 80%, 90% of 100%? My experience is 80%, which is above my 20% threshold that I admit would prove stupidity on my part if I accepted it.
Abusive relationship? I can't remember the last time I felt "abused" by DL. They operate like most airlines, with delays, the occasional rude employee and other mishaps. I've flown several airlines and they really aren't that different, in my opinion. I think calling DL actions abusive is a bit extreme.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:48 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Not meaning to be condescending at all. In a group emergency, would you prefer to be with smart people as opposed to the other type?

And, without regard to standard excuses for doing so (like "I had no choice".), do smarter people stay in abusive relationships?

And what percentage of Delta's actions toward all customers during the last year have been abusive? 70%, 80%, 90% of 100%? My experience is 80%, which is above my 20% threshold that I admit would prove stupidity on my part if I accepted it.
Unlike MShea's previous BRILLIANT comment, I can't say I agree with this one at all! I have flown a lot of airlines, and over the last decade, I can say with all fairness that in the USA, all of them treat us about the same, which is with indifference or mediocrity, but certainly not abusively. If you want truly respectful AND extraordinary service, there are relatively few carriers to fly on, and from what I have heard, they include Singapore, Korean, New Zealand, Cathay Pacific, Quantas, Virgin, and Emirates (I must qualify this last sentence by saying that of these, I have only flown on Singapore, the rest is by what I have read and heard).

Last edited by USirritated; Apr 8, 2010 at 3:05 pm Reason: grammar, readability
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:36 am

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
I have to wonder if I would rather be with a sampling of the general population, or a plane full of "Cal Hockley"* types in a group emergency.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Frozentech
I have to wonder if I would rather be with a sampling of the general population, or a plane full of "Cal Hockley"* types in a group emergency.
Not being a crazed TITANIC fan, I had to look up "Cal Hockley" to find out that he was the Billy Zane character, a sniveling, cowardly, megalomaniacal, bas*ard.

Last edited by USirritated; Apr 8, 2010 at 2:58 pm Reason: I was not aware that the word bas*tard was a curse word that would be "lined" out by the flyertalk mainframe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.