Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Spirit Airlines to charge for carry-ons...Hope Delta doesn't make that move

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spirit Airlines to charge for carry-ons...Hope Delta doesn't make that move

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, former elite in several airlines, but don't fly as much now
I think I'll make lemonade out of this lemon. I'm going to design a zip-up vest with compartments for underwear, socks, shirts, and pants. Perhaps an attachable neck pillow that doubles as a shaving kit. Buy two at $79.99 each and receive a free personal seat belt extension to go over your new wearable luggage! Offer valid only on amazon.com.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by PepeBorja
I am glad to see some airlines are forward looking and want to see passengers go back to checking their luggage rather than bringing with them and get on board with huge rollerbags.

The higher fee for carry-on baggage is higher than checked-in, an indication that this is a punitive fee to discourage folks from bringing luggage bags on board and limiting them to personal items like briefcases, backpacks, small personal items, gifts, musical instruments, etc.

It will make for a faster borading, deplaning, and TSA experience.

^ ^ ^

...and a longer, much more miserable experience waiting on line to check in your luggage, waiting at the baggage claim for your luggage and not having your luggage after the airline loses it. Even before airlines started charging for checked luggage, smart people never checked a bag.

If Spirit wants people to check their luggage, they shouldn't charge for it.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: Delta KM, United 1K, SPG plat
I am glad to see some airlines are forward looking and want to see passengers go back to checking their luggage rather than bringing with them and get on board with huge rollerbags.
Dunno Pepe. If the airlines took better care of my luggage I would be more inclined to check it. But the odds of it being damaged or lost are so high..
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:14 pm

what happens to valuable items?

Just a thought.

What happens if you have an odd valuable shaped item (like my mini tennis stringing machine; I prefer to string my own tennis rackets) that can't fit underneath the seat?

So they force you to pay $40 to carry on? Because I don't want to be checking in valuable items.

I've had two valuable items stole by TSA (or whoever they contract out to these days). They won't let me lock the luggages (with my own locks or they will break the lock) when I check in. They stole my wife's GPS device device. The lock was broken. That was 2 years ago.

This year I thought I got smarter and purchased on of the TSA's "approved locks" I think it was travel sentry. Same crap. My mini tennis mini stringing machine (those can fit in a luggage) was stolen. This was getting ridiculous.

So TSA approved lock or not, crap still gets stolen if you check in your luggage. It's a marry go round with the Airlines, TSA, and the Airport and contractors. The TSA said to blame their contractors. The contractors said to blame the airlines baggage handlers. The airlines said to check with the airport.

It's like no one wants to take responsible.

That's why I rarely like to check in bags, even on my international trips. So I guess I will eventually get hit with these fees once all the other airlines copy Spirit Airlines carry on fees.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
... smart people never checked a bag.
Some people have to check bags due to items they must carry on business trips but are not allowed to take past the TSA security circus clowns.

I am all for anything that cuts down on the currently ridiculous practice of the typical PAX boarding with too much stuff banging everyone other PAX in an aisle seat as they try to squeeze down the aisle - on the assumption that elites will get a waiver on this one. Lets not forget the the Y pax that put their stuff in the F overhead. And the...
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:24 pm

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
Originally Posted by generaltao
Dunno Pepe. If the airlines took better care of my luggage I would be more inclined to check it. But the odds of it being damaged or lost are so high..
In God we trust, all others must have data. Lemme help you: It's about 6 bags per 1000 travelers with less than 1/10 of 1% lost for good. Not exactly high odds.

Problem is we are comparing apples to oranges.

The frequent flyer uses the convenince of carry-on to expedite the weekly commute. The casual traveler could care less if it takes 20 minutes to get their bags. They are on vacation, what's the damn hurry!

When I travel on vacation I check in my bags and my valuables stay with me. I ain't in no hurry to get to my hotel. I am taking it easy.

I hope the idea takes off and we restore civility to air travel.

Nowdays, almost without exception I see bags being gate checked and the boarding queue moving ever so slowly because the bin space runs out, folks swim upstream, and folks re-arrange bags to stuff a rollerbag bulging at the seams by the occasional traveler looking to skip the $20 fee.

I fly in the CRJ900 and the GAs gate check all rollerbags. The boarding process is really fast as mostly personal items come on board or soft sided bags like my TUMI trifold garment bag

This policy is designed to rollback the ugly trend that got started by the rollerbag invention, which made it easy to lug around 40 pounds of luggage on wheels and stuff it in an OH bin. The checked bag fees made it even worse since folks now have an added incentive to carry on their luggage rather than checking it in. We are not talking about personal itmes like backpaks, handbags, medicine kits, or sport bags. We are talking big-a$$ luggage bags.

So far it is geeting negative press because it is bing miss-reported.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:35 pm

Pretty stupid move on their part, in my opinion. As others have said, I hope it backfires.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by Andy1369
Doubt it. Like I said in AA's forum, DL is a legacy, full-service carrier. Checking for bags DO make sense because they need to pay baggage handlers, but carryons... nah. If they do implement carry-on fees then I guarantee you people will stop flying. Period. Full stop. Many are miserable with the checked bag fees as it is - but it's tolerable because at least they can carry on stuff, and the carry-on policies are quite reasonable. If carry-on fees are implemented, it's game over.

Also, in this economy... it won't fly. Food is shrinking, things are becoming cheaper and lousy quality, and the dollar is generally going down. Add all those fees and customers won't be happy.
I'm sorry to say that yes, its very likelt DL will eventually follow. I noted in the press release that the Spirit CEO mentioned they were going to lower fares slightlly as part of this. If that puts them at the top of an expedia search it set up the other carriers to fall in like dominoes.

All we can hope for is that Elites get a waiver like NW gave on Roachchoice.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
In God we trust, all others must have data. Lemme help you: It's about 6 bags per 1000 travelers with less than 1/10 of 1% lost for good. Not exactly high odds.

Problem is we are comparing apples to oranges.

The frequent flyer uses the convenince of carry-on to expedite the weekly commute. The casual traveler could care less if it takes 20 minutes to get their bags. They are on vacation, what's the damn hurry!

When I travel on vacation I check in my bags and my valuables stay with me. I ain't in no hurry to get to my hotel. I am taking it easy.

I hope the idea takes off and we restore civility to air travel.

Nowdays, almost without exception I see bags being gate checked and the boarding queue moving ever so slowly because the bin space runs out, folks swim upstream, and folks re-arrange bags to stuff a rollerbag bulging at the seams by the occasional traveler looking to skip the $20 fee.

I fly in the CRJ900 and the GAs gate check all rollerbags. The boarding process is really fast as mostly personal items come on board or soft sided bags like my TUMI trifold garment bag

This policy is designed to rollback the ugly trend that got started by the rollerbag invention, which made it easy to lug around 40 pounds of luggage on wheels and stuff it in an OH bin. The checked bag fees made it even worse since folks now have an added incentive to carry on their luggage rather than checking it in. We are not talking about personal itmes like backpaks, handbags, medicine kits, or sport bags. We are talking big-a$$ luggage bags.

So far it is geeting negative press because it is bing miss-reported.
I absolutely don't agree with you.

I don't care what the numbers say about lost (or seriously delayed) bags. What about the bags that are broken into? Stolen contents? I have never bothered to report this. Why? What's the point? I need a police report to claim it on my homeowner's insurance. Do you have numbers that reflect how often bags arrive with stolen or damaged contents? I suspect any numbers would be grossly under-reporting the problem.

20 minutes wait? I envy you. I don't know what your flying habits/destinations are, but I can't remember the last time I got my luggage within 20 minutes. More like 45, once it was two hours.

I am a casual traveller. I don't want to wait for my luggage, especially to find that it's been rifled, contents stolen or damaged. I don't want to arrive at a remote destination to find specific holiday gear (bike helmet, climbing helmet and harness, dive mask, hiking boots) didn't arrive. These aren't things that I can buy and break-in at my destination.

You keep talking about the humongous bags that folks bring on board. I presume you never see these huge bags in 'F'? Only in 'Y'? Have you ever actually counted, as a flight boarded, how many pax had oversize bags vs how many pax have far less than the allowed amount?

You also seem to assume that only non-elite pax are carrying on bags of size (BOS), primarily to save a checked bag fee. Do you really believe elite pax who don't have to pay checked bag fees are checking their bags?

Would you consider it reasonable if DL (and other legacy carriers) charge all 'Y' pax for carry-ons, regardless of elite status? Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if this is where we are headed. And why not charge for gate-checked bags on the CRJ's? why should they be any different?

Last edited by chollie; Apr 6, 2010 at 10:25 pm
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:24 pm

It's also interesting that DL (like other legacy carriers) wants to implement all the 'a la carte' pricing. However, Spirit Airlines (and Ryanair) start by adding on to often very low base fares - sometimes as low as a penny. Spirit claims that they have lowered average fares by $40, thus making the cost of the carry-on almost a wash.

The legacies tack on the 'a la carte' without reducing the base fare.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by bwhite
Some people have to check bags due to items they must carry on business trips but are not allowed to take past the TSA security circus clowns.

I am all for anything that cuts down on the currently ridiculous practice of the typical PAX boarding with too much stuff banging everyone other PAX in an aisle seat as they try to squeeze down the aisle - on the assumption that elites will get a waiver on this one. Lets not forget the the Y pax that put their stuff in the F overhead. And the...
On my most recent flight, I had a tight connection that got very tight because of a flight delays, so I boarded with the second group on my last flight. The 'F' cabin was completely full, including the closet. My small rucksack had to go in the 'Y' cabin (I was in the bulkhead). The truth is, it wouldn't have been fair to force a 'Y' pax to check and pay for their bag because I had stowed my luggage outside 'my' assigned cabin.

I'm sure you agree, FA's should be as vigilant about keeping 'F' bags out of 'Y' space as they should be about keeping 'Y' bags out of 'F' space.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MShea74
Spirit is the 6th smallest carrier in the USA, just before carriers like Colgan, Sky West and Aloha.

Because Delta senior executives have shown themselves to be 100% disconnected with all customers, and significantly less skilled than the majority of other large enterprise executive teams, I encourage everybody to stop the crystal ball peering.

The concept of charging people to have their medicine, cash, camera equipment and notebook computers in the cargo hold is inane to any executive with an IQ over 3.25.

The concept of charging customers in order to have the customers themselves maintain responsibility for such items by keeping them with them in the cabin is inane to any entry level businessperson with an IQ over 0.0.

Those numbers tell us all why not to ever fly Spirit and also why never to fly Delta beginning on the day that any such stupid move occurs with them.

They really have no clue whatsoever as to how to turn their business around, and it is truly hillarious to watch.

Fascinatingly, they have niether the guts nor the brains to charge people over 300 pounds for the extra weight and fuel required during flight.

Ladies and gentlemen, Delta executives cannot find their way out of a paper shopping bag. Talking about this subject here gives them a roadmap as to how to implement Spirit's failed policy at your expense.

...even though Delta executives cannot find the skill to follow the roadmap placed on this board as to how they can improve earnings dramatically while saving their ship.
This post should be framed.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:49 pm

Not a fan of this at all, hope they fail miserably and have to revert back to not charging for carryons with their tail between their legs. Old Ben Baldanza can have those cheap fares all to himself. I've flown Delta plenty but yes also Spirit, I would go out of my way to book away from Spirit if this policy were in effect. Be it Airtran, Delta, or Southwest, I like them all and prefer a change of pace in air travel. Spirit however will get absolutely $0 from myself or my parents who I handle travel arrangements for until this policy goes the way of the dinosaur, Delta, I hope you're seeing this, if you implement this policy this goes for you too, I'll book away.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:00 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MShea74
Spirit is the 6th smallest carrier in the USA, just before carriers like Colgan, Sky West and Aloha.

Because Delta senior executives have shown themselves to be 100% disconnected with all customers, and significantly less skilled than the majority of other large enterprise executive teams, I encourage everybody to stop the crystal ball peering.

The concept of charging people to have their medicine, cash, camera equipment and notebook computers in the cargo hold is inane to any executive with an IQ over 3.25.

The concept of charging customers in order to have the customers themselves maintain responsibility for such items by keeping them with them in the cabin is inane to any entry level businessperson with an IQ over 0.0.

Those numbers tell us all why not to ever fly Spirit and also why never to fly Delta beginning on the day that any such stupid move occurs with them.

They really have no clue whatsoever as to how to turn their business around, and it is truly hillarious to watch.

Fascinatingly, they have niether the guts nor the brains to charge people over 300 pounds for the extra weight and fuel required during flight.

Ladies and gentlemen, Delta executives cannot find their way out of a paper shopping bag. Talking about this subject here gives them a roadmap as to how to implement Spirit's failed policy at your expense.

...even though Delta executives cannot find the skill to follow the roadmap placed on this board as to how they can improve earnings dramatically while saving their ship.
This post should be framed.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue, bmi, LH, UA, DL, AS, WN, AA, VX
My $0.02:

- The legacies will try to follow suit if Spirit can get this off the ground

- Doubt the legacies will charge for 1st, elite, et. al.

- This is a disgusting idea, and any hope Spirit had of getting my $ is gone

- This is not a legitimate way to get people from overloading the bins. There is no proof it will solve that problem (although the airlines have shown no interest in the issue). It may backfire in a sense, unless the items are weighed - if people know they will get charged, there is no real reason to put 15lbs. in a bag when you can put 40lbs.

- Boarding will become more stressful and contentious

- Southwest will likely benefit from others' fee shenanigans

- The people MOST hurt by this will be families with children

- I am sure there are taxation issues as well, but I care so little about the innards of the subject that I will let others detail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.