Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Flight 2485 MIA-DTW 11 empty seats in First at Takeoff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2010, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond since inception

OK - this is a weird one. I was booked in first today and there were only 4 other people in the entire cabin. I asked the FA if no one was upgrade but she had no info.

Just seems sad that probably this was the only opportunity for a Silver or someone to get upgraded but to takeoff with 11 empty seats in First was just odd.

It wa sure quite up front though. It seems to me that no upgrades were processed for this flight for some reason.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 8:40 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by dhh1
OK - this is a weird one. I was booked in first today and there were only 4 other people in the entire cabin. I asked the FA if no one was upgrade but she had no info.

Just seems sad that probably this was the only opportunity for a Silver or someone to get upgraded but to takeoff with 11 empty seats in First was just odd.

It wa sure quite up front though. It seems to me that no upgrades were processed for this flight for some reason.
Interesting bit of speculation.
Thread closed.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Apr 3, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
No medallions were left on the upgrade list. No NRSA were on the plane. Delta didnt have a high load of frequent fliers on this flight.

Not sure what else there is left here besides rampant speculation.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 6:33 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Thank you... I think thats all people need to hear ... though if I would have been on that flight, with only 4 in the front cabin, I'd have wondered the same thing... "where is everyone else"

Originally Posted by majorwibi
No medallions were left on the upgrade list. No NRSA were on the plane. Delta didnt have a high load of frequent fliers on this flight.

Not sure what else there is left here besides rampant speculation.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I do not believe this would ever happen out of MCO. I guess it is just a fluke, but a good one for the lucky 5!
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
im on DL 1808 now FLL to JFK. 7 out of the 14 seats, so say half of the seats in first class, are empty. Coach is filled to capacity.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
I'd venture to say that probably alot of medallions that travel for business are at home since this is a holiday weekend. Hence, more empty F seats then usual.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
im on DL 1808 now FLL to JFK. 7 out of the 14 seats, so say half of the seats in first class, are empty. Coach is filled to capacity.
Can you say "Kids on Spring Break and business people staying home for the Easter holiday?"
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
Can you say "Kids on Spring Break and business people staying home for the Easter holiday?"
Was no spring breakers on the flight. Lots of old folks and plenty of wheel chairs, plus tons of families with small kids. Never seen so many small kids on a plane before. And, the parents with these small kids think they can board before us 1st classers . Now boarding Zone 1! I must admit, it was the first time in a very long time I had an empty 1st class eat next to me. I liked it.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 3:05 am

Delta has been my primary carrier for the past 3+ years. I live near PBI, and also fly out of FLL and MIA. In that time period I can only recall one seat being open in first at take-off, and that from ATL-PBI, there were about seven seats available pror to take off available, and after about 6 non-listed upgrades, leaving the one seat at take-off across from me. The agents in ATL could see my travelling companion had 27,000 MQM's, but they said his new Silver status was not yet showing. That was a great way to welcome someone to Silver status with an empty seat.

Near a holiday, it has been very rare for me to get an upgrade from South Florida as a Gold.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/DM, *wood Lifetime Gold
My flight from MSP - ATL on Friday night had 3 empty First Class seats, so its fair to say a lot of business travelers were not traveling. In other weeks, I struggle to get an upgrade even as a diamond medallion.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 9:55 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
F was less than half full yesterday on BOS-DTW. I'm not sure this is noteworthy (or threadworthy).
Old Apr 5, 2010, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I do not believe this would ever happen out of MCO. I guess it is just a fluke, but a good one for the lucky 5!
On the contrary, this is happening out of MCO a lot. I have been on three different flights out of there in the past three weeks, and the first cabin was 75% empty. Upgrades went though, and all medallions were put in front - its just that there werent as many Medallions flying.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
ATL-BWI last night was packed to the gills. Full flight, full F. No ug for me or wife, but really don't expect em out of ATL, and really don't care for 90 minutes of flight time.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 9:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dhh1
You'd be suprised. I'm 6 for 6 on upgrades as a Silver this year and two of my flights have had empty seats on them in First.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.