Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why am I always last?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I guess I feel better now about not being on the top of the pile any more as a PM with all of these Diamonds around. Had a hell of a time (7 of 23 with 2 FC seats) getting upgraded on my ATL-PHX flight last week. Luckily I was one waiting until the final person boarded and a two FC passengers didn't make it. A little wink to the GA and score!
Old Mar 30, 2010, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by vincentppetty
why would one expect to be higher on the list with the lowest of the low "T" fare --- if you want to get an upgrade as Silver, you need to buy more expensive fares, as well as find flights that aren't normally traveled -- i.e. mid-week or extremely early am Sat/Sun flights ...

Good luck!
Oh, I don't expect or need an upgrade, to be honest, and I'm happy to let paying customers sit up front. When I've needed to sit at the front of the bus, I have paid. It's just that I am ALWAYS dead last when on a T or U, and I find it comical that there are never other cheap-... FO's at LAX or JFK.

As for time of ticketing, I bought these about 60 days ago.

Again, not a big deal. I just find it funny. NYC must only have PMs and GMs (and DMs).

Quick update: I'm now 8 of 8, but the available F seats went from 8 to 4. Flight is also oversold.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: AA ExecP
It's funny - back when WP and SM were still integrating, I was ALWAYS last on the UG list on the Delta Shuttle, even when I was on a full Y fare. This was the case if I was Silver, Gold or Platinum. I didn't care, as I often liked to sit in the back to deplane immediately, and be in the cab line in <2 minutes from landing at BOS. One day, I sat there for a half hour with a GA looking at everyone that was ahead of me - and in fact, I was supposed to be first on the UG list, as no one else ever had a full Y.

This was indeed an issue with my use of my WP# on the boarding pass, and issues with the integration of the two programs. Once I started using (much to my chagrin), my DL number, everything worked A-OK.

Also - at the time I was Plat with NWA and Silver with DL. If I put my DL # on the itin and credited the miles there (which I didn't want to do because of the 125% bonus on NWA), I would ALWAYS get the UG, even as a silver (although in Y fare).
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stencil
Flight is also oversold.
There's your ticket!!
Take the bump, pocket DL$400, and now become an FO on a Y fare (or, better yet, an FO in F ) on the next flight out!
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.175 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Think of it this way -- you are ahead of all the people *not* on the upgrade list
Which is usually the majority of the plane.
Unless you are on a WAS (DCA)-ATL, in which *most* of the plane is some sort of elite...
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Originally Posted by DLBeno
If it's any consolation, you will always be ahead of me no matter what the game is or the standby list looks like...

I look at you with envy.
I've been on both sides of this (NRSA with two days at the terminal and cutting the standby list for the next flight )

When I was first silver, I realized the value of my status in a standby list situation - massive cancellations in ATL due to a summer t-storm, lost of flights delayed and canceled...

I snagged the last seat on the last flight of the day to the NYC area - so I slept in my own bed rather than the terminal.

It was a middle sea t on the last row, but the priority (even when not upgraded)made a world of difference to me then...l

So, OP, you may not always fly up front, but if things turn sour, you are in a much better position than the rest of the flying public...
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Quick update - at the airport. I'm 11 of 11 for 0 avail BE seats.

Not going to take the bump. I want to get home to my own place, and I have 19C on the 757, which is a nice seat. All will be well.

(By the way, by some miraculous set of circumstances, I did get the UG to BE on the way out here, so I'm not about to complain.)
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
My wife and I used to be last all the time... and now we're Gold... and I am still 0-for-5 as a Gold this year. And my wife is now 0-for-6 as a Gold.

Worst. Upgrade. Luck. Ever.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by stencil
Quick update - at the airport. I'm 11 of 11 for 0 avail BE seats.
There's no good/cheap solution. Options:

- buy higher fares
- fly more to get Gold
- get an Amex Reserve card (so other silvers on T fares will be behind you)
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
OP must be from Lake Wobegon, where all the children are above average.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Should have been with me on my MCO-BOS flight today. Flew with 5 empty F seats. They were trying to sell them for $100 each...no takers.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyer89
That's how he becomes the second to last.
HAHAHA

Made me chuckle out loud in the office!
Old Mar 30, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I got an upgrade last week as a FO on a T fare, and also one on a B fare. I also didn't get upgraded on one T fare and one B fare. I'm 2 for 4 possible segments this year. Each time there were other folks behind me on the upgrade list.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by ComAirKid
You are very low on the pecking order. Also, an FO on a T fare that has checked-in before you is higher than you. [Correction: At time of ticketing not check-in time] From cwsi.net/mupc.aspx

Your rank is lower than:
DM | Y
DM | Amex | B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T
DM | B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T
I didn't realize that DM + Amex is a differentiator on upgrade order? Is it any Delta Amex, or just the Delta Reserve? Do the tickets have to be purch'd with the card? I'm sure this topic has been discussed before...if so, sorry for the repeat.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by anaugle
I didn't realize that DM + Amex is a differentiator on upgrade order? Is it any Delta Amex, or just the Delta Reserve? Do the tickets have to be purch'd with the card? I'm sure this topic has been discussed before...if so, sorry for the repeat.
DL Reserve gives you priority within your Medallion level and Fare Class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.