FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   $20 charge for booking over phone? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1068044-20-charge-booking-over-phone.html)

xitek Mar 27, 2010 8:52 pm

$20 charge for booking over phone?

This is a stupid question but I never booked a ticket by calling DL agent.

I called DL 800 and booked a ticket last week. During the whole process, I didn't hear that there is a charge for booking over phone. But I looked at my Amex online statement today and found a $20 charge that day from DL. Is this the booking fee?

AndyTLe Mar 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by xitek (Post 13662150)
This is a stupid question but I never booked a ticket by calling DL agent.

I called DL 800 and booked a ticket last week. During the whole process, I didn't hear that there is a charge for booking over phone. But I looked at my Amex online statement today and found a $20 charge that day from DL. Is this the booking fee?

Yep.

xitek Mar 27, 2010 9:00 pm

damn it. Never call again!

thanks for confirmation!

Originally Posted by AndyTLe (Post 13662163)
Yep.

fti Mar 27, 2010 9:06 pm

Or call, find the flights you want (esp relating to award tickets), then hang up and book multi-city on the website. It usually works OK that way and you avoid the phone fee.

TravellingMan Mar 27, 2010 9:44 pm

Everytime I call the Diamond medallion desk to make a booking, I get dinged the $20 fee and have to ask them to remove it. So much for being a Diamond :mad:

This adds another 15-20 mins to each call to book a ticket with Delta since they quote me the additional $20 and I have to dispute it. They put you on hold till they figure out what to do.

This is all because their coupons cannot be used on their website.

YDJanet Mar 27, 2010 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingMan (Post 13662452)
Everytime I call the Diamond medallion desk to make a booking, I get dinged the $20 fee and have to ask them to remove it. So much for being a Diamond :mad:

This adds another 15-20 mins to each call to book a ticket with Delta since they quote me the additional $20 and I have to dispute it. They put you on hold till they figure out what to do.

This is all because their coupons cannot be used on their website.

They hit me with the $20 when I booked a ticket that could not be booked online; I disputed the agent twice (because I'm GM) and she said it was impossible for her not to charge it. I questioned that and she put me on hold for a long time and came back and said the supervisor agreed that the fee would have to be charged, but that they would refund it.

They did not.

I called back a couple of weeks later, and they agreed to refund it.

They did not.

Guess I'll call again on Monday. For 20 lousy bucks. It's cost waaaay more than that of my time already. Now I'm determined to get it back just because I am not going to let them get away with it. But they're not making friends.

TravellingMan Mar 27, 2010 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by YDJanet (Post 13662594)
Guess I'll call again on Monday. For 20 lousy bucks. It's cost waaaay more than that of my time already. Now I'm determined to get it back just because I am not going to let them get away with it. But they're not making friends.

For the DL'lurkers, it is not an isolated incident. I need to look through my card statements now after your post as I cannot take their word for it.

TJPACIFIC Mar 28, 2010 1:07 am

They charged $20 on my son's child discount ticket which was impossible to book on delta.com. It has been more than 2 months now, I am still fighting for it.

Doc Savage Mar 28, 2010 1:11 am

These booking fees are particularly annoying in situations where the silly airlines will not allow you to book online, etc. Nice Catch-22.

moonquake Mar 28, 2010 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 13662953)
These booking fees are particularly annoying in situations where the silly airlines will not allow you to book online, etc. Nice Catch-22.

Agree 100%!!! Unfortunately nothing we can do about it!

localady Mar 28, 2010 5:57 am

Originally Posted by YDJanet (Post 13662594)
They hit me with the $20 when I booked a ticket that could not be booked online; I disputed the agent twice (because I'm GM) and she said it was impossible for her not to charge it. I questioned that and she put me on hold for a long time and came back and said the supervisor agreed that the fee would have to be charged, but that they would refund it.

They did not.

I called back a couple of weeks later, and they agreed to refund it.

They did not.

Call your credit card company (number should be on the back of the card) and dispute the fee. Make sure that in your dispute (they should send you a copy) that it's known that Del-duh agreed NOT to charge you that fee. Delta will be charged a fee by the credit card company... If enough people take the time and trouble to dispute the fee through the credit card company (and Delta pays enough fees), they may do something to make it easier for their agents to waive the fees in legit cases (or as an option that an agent/supervisor can over-ride). That seems to be the only way Del-duh might change their policy or systems. Even in the catch-22 type cases, I'd still dispute it unless it specifically says that there will be an additional fee charged for the service. It's a pain in the butt for Del-duh to process these disputes.

Jiatong Mar 28, 2010 7:23 am

It may depend on when & status. In feb. as a PT they charged me the $20.00. In march as a DM on buying a simple domestic ticket to PHX, they did not charge me the $20.00

& I did verify it on my credit card for the March trip. I like delta for domestic flights & the new DM 800 #. Wish i could give the 'job well done' certificates to those 800 # customer service employees....

sany2 Mar 28, 2010 9:57 am

I also got dinged the fee by the Plat line when trying to use an e-cert that the system refused to ticket online.

As a platinum I wasn't supposed to be charged it, but they did. I asked them what it was for, they said they would refund it. In fact, they said they had refunded it right then and there. They had not, and have not refunded the $20 (x two tickets).

Its getting a little ridiculous that we have to spend hours on the phone trying to get our $20 fees back. It is not worth my time.
I am considering the credit card route too, since they weren't supposed to charge in the first place, and then promised it had been refunded when it had not.

localady Mar 28, 2010 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Jiatong (Post 13663694)
I like delta for domestic flights & the new DM 800 #. Wish i could give the 'job well done' certificates to those 800 # customer service employees....

You can... Either give them the certificate number over the phone and have them write it down or get their name and employee number and send a note to Del-duh on the web site with their name, employee number and the certificate.

SusanDK Mar 28, 2010 10:53 am

The $20 phone booking fee is supposed to be waived for GM & above, as a benefit of elite status.

I was also charged 2 x $20 for the last tickets I booked by phone (which I did so I could have them process my Z upgrade immediately). I just sent an email to DL customer service through the online form and they replied after a few days that the fee would be refunded. It took about four weeks, but has now been credited.

I wouldn't waste my time with phone calls, but would just try to use the email contact form on the website. I also cited the fee waiver policy from the Medallion benefits page.

Susan