Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complaint letter to Delta, please advise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:11 am
Original Poster

A buddy of mine had a bad experience with lost luggage on a DL flight, this is the letter he'll be sending in.

Any suggestions or recommendations on how to improve this letter would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-----

This letter is to inform both Delta Customer Care and the corporate office about the unpleasant experience I recently encountered.
Delta Flights:

Delta
16-Sep-09
IAH
JKF

Delta
16-Sep-09
JFK
DKR

Delta
3-Oct-09
MADRID
ATL

Delta
3-Oct-09
ATL
IAH
  • Delta had moved my departing flight (Flight # 6557 from IAH to JFK) forward three hours, from 10:20am to 7:30am without notifying me.
  • Arriving at IAH on the morning of my departure I was informed at the check in desk that there was no record of my reservation even though I had my itinerary and purchase receipt in hand
  • On the morning of September 17th, 2009, I arrived in Dakar, Senegal (DKR), however my baggage was missing.
  • I was informed by Monique Brown, a Customer Service Supervisor, that my luggage never left IAH
  • I was given the option to have my luggage sent to Casablanca, Morocco (CMN) so I changed my travel plans in order to meet my luggage there (reimbursable expense). Arriving at CMN my luggage was nowhere to be found and after several attempts I was neither able to reach Ms. Brown nor obtain anymore information regarding my lost luggage.
  • Once I arrived back in the U.S. I attempted to follow up regarding the status of my luggage with Delta’s corporate office. I spoke with Ms. J. Casley at the Atlanta (ATL) airport who was neither accommodating nor concerned with my ordeal.
  • Upon returning home I composed a claim, compiling a list of all items within my pack
  • I received a check from Delta for the amount of 1,000 SGD; however, in accordance with Delta’s corporate policy, I am owed a check for my entire out of pocket expenses in addition to the 1,000 SGD and am therefore regarding this claim as open.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by johdhj
A buddy of mine had a bad experience with lost luggage on a DL flight, this is the letter he'll be sending in.

Any suggestions or recommendations on how to improve this letter would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-----

This letter is to inform both Delta Customer Care and the corporate office about the unpleasant experience I recently encountered.
Delta Flights:

Delta
16-Sep-09
IAH
JKF

Delta
16-Sep-09
JFK
DKR

Delta
3-Oct-09
MADRID
ATL

Delta
3-Oct-09
ATL
IAH
  • Delta had moved my departing flight (Flight # 6557 from IAH to JFK) forward three hours, from 10:20am to 7:30am without notifying me.
  • Arriving at IAH on the morning of my departure I was informed at the check in desk that there was no record of my reservation even though I had my itinerary and purchase receipt in hand
  • On the morning of September 17th, 2009, I arrived in Dakar, Senegal (DKR), however my baggage was missing.
  • I was informed by Monique Brown, a Customer Service Supervisor, that my luggage never left IAH
  • I was given the option to have my luggage sent to Casablanca, Morocco (CMN) so I changed my travel plans in order to meet my luggage there (reimbursable expense). Arriving at CMN my luggage was nowhere to be found and after several attempts I was neither able to reach Ms. Brown nor obtain anymore information regarding my lost luggage.
  • Once I arrived back in the U.S. I attempted to follow up regarding the status of my luggage with Delta’s corporate office. I spoke with Ms. J. Casley at the Atlanta (ATL) airport who was neither accommodating nor concerned with my ordeal.
  • Upon returning home I composed a claim, compiling a list of all items within my pack
  • I received a check from Delta for the amount of 1,000 SGD; however, in accordance with Delta’s corporate policy, I am owed a check for my entire out of pocket expenses in addition to the 1,000 SGD and am therefore regarding this claim as open.
You summarized the problem in succinct bullet points in an unemotional fashion, making a specific, reasonable request that would close the matter in your eyes. I'd send it -- good job. Hope you get whatever it is you're entitled to without too much trouble.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Was the bag lost completely or just delayed?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zsmith2
Was the bag lost completely or just delayed?
Completely lost.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:18 am

Completely lost.
FYI "Any disbursements (OPE) will be deducted from the final settlement if the bag is not located"
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zsmith2
FYI "Any disbursements (OPE) will be deducted from the final settlement if the bag is not located"
So if Delta loses the luggage entirely, we get compensated less? Or am I misreading that line?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:23 am

So if Delta loses the luggage entirely, we get compensated less? Or am I misreading that line?
I wouldn't say "less" b/c you are technically replacing the items you would orignally be using. But I guess it depends on how you want to look at it.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Try a topic sentence at the very top which states why you're writing and what you want. Like the first sentence of a news story. The current structure forces the reader to the very last line to decipher the writer's agenda.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
Try a topic sentence at the very top which states why you're writing and what you want. Like the first sentence of a news story. The current structure forces the reader to the very last line to decipher the writer's agenda.
This is a very good point, thank you.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
I agree with the idea of a topic sentence at first, but make it brief and to the point. Other than that, it is concise and the bullet points work extremely well.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
So he went from Dakar to Casablanca just to pick up his luggage? That's strange, especially since DL doesn't serve Casablanca. What was his intended itinerary before he had to divert to Morocco?

What specific out of pocket expenses is he seeking reimbursement for?

Also, I don't think the following points should be included in the letter unless they were somehow relevant to the lost luggage:
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stripe
So he went from Dakar to Casablanca just to pick up his luggage? That's strange, especially since DL doesn't serve Casablanca. What was his intended itinerary before he had to divert to Morocco?

What specific out of pocket expenses is he seeking reimbursement for?

Also, I don't think the following points should be included in the letter unless they were somehow relevant to the lost luggage:
Delta said that they would send it to Casablanca because that's where my friend was going to be (sent via Air Morocc (sp?)).

The first two points are relevant in that we suspect this is where the troubles began.

My friend is seeking reimbursement for clothing and toiletries, since ALL of that was on the luggage which has mysteriously disappeared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.