Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expanded Preferred Seats in Coach

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska
Originally Posted by skoker
Sadly, I doubt it'll happen. It's hard coded for restriction within 4 hours of departure (usually about an hour however, whenever an agent takes primary control of a flight) and even REZ has a hard time getting those seats for passengers with special needs.
A REZ recently gave me exit row aisle for all legs of a flight to LIH, but couldn't get bulkhead. When I looked at the seatmaps NOTHING in the front of coach was available, so it was fairly obvious that she had access to a lot of seats that I couldn't find online. That seems very odd to me.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:56 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Stripe
Yes, but if all that is left are middles I'd certainly prefer that a non-status passenger be forced to pick a middle seat in the back.
Agreed. Block of Seats B and E in Rows 11-15 as the last seats on the plane to be filled. This could be blamed on "weight distribution" in that it makes it less likely the plane has too much weight in the front. (We all know that in this case, it would be BS, as F takes care of that issue, but it gives DL and excuse.) Designate additional aisle seats as premium. Have windows and middles from Rows 16 and back available to non-premium passengers and fares.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
I guess i am not seeing any additional seats for Prem. I have been stuck in middle seats 2 times this month. I usually book my tickets under 2 weeks. It is usually beyond row 11 on 320/319 and back beyond row 26 on 757. In the previous 8 years seldom would i not be able to get an aisle on a NW flight. Not saying this is bad, but more prem. seats need to be available for elites buying last minute tickets.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
more prem. seats need to be available for elites buying last minute tickets.
NW's Coach Choice helped with this. Also, if you check back within 6 days premium seats usually become available as elites get upgraded.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
if they would process EAU before gate...YES

Originally Posted by Stripe
NW's Coach Choice helped with this. Also, if you check back within 6 days premium seats usually become available as elites get upgraded.
You would think so, here is what i have seen the last two weeks.

MSP-PHX 19 out of 24 held back for gate upgrades
PHX-MSP 17 out of 24 held back for gate upgrades
MSP-PHX 17 held back, only had 14 on upgrade list
TUS-MSP 14 out of 16 held back for gate

so nothing is coming avail. I actually cleared all of this and all 4 times i was put into a window. Pref is aisle. What a headache to try to get that switched at the airport. I am 1 out of 4 for getting an aisle at the gate. Some would say i got the upgrade, yes but i like an aisle as well. it is 50/50 to get the aisle vs window when they hold back so many FC seats.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:56 am
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Bring Row Five back to Life!
Sorry if I'm missing this - what was the deal with "row five?"
Old Mar 17, 2010, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by cfw
Sorry if I'm missing this - what was the deal with "row five?"
On A319/320 aircraft (ex NW) row 5 is the first row of coach. There is no hard wall between the cabins just a curtain and as such that row of coach contains the best coach seats in the fleet. There is a ton of leg room.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
On A319/320 aircraft (ex NW) row 5 is the first row of coach. There is no hard wall between the cabins just a curtain and as such that row of coach contains the best coach seats in the fleet. There is a ton of leg room.
Did not have the usual worries about having to use the overhead bins in the bulkhead. You could put a bag under the seat in row 4 and still have more leg room than in first class.

Only downside was the fixed divider between seats - so they were a tad narrow - but the leg room was awesome.

It was always fun to see people who had received a last minute seat assignment in Row 5 - looking at that leg room with a stunned "Wow" look. ^
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: Delta KM/DM, Hyatt GP Plat, HHonors Gold
The upgrade list for my flight this evening shows 16 seats in Y available but the seating map shows nothing. This time I'm in exit row aisle so even if I don't get the UG, I won't be miserable. Last week, similar number of Y seats showing open but I couldn't select any of them and got stuck in a middle towards the back. By the time I got to the gate, the GA said all aisles and windows had been assigned.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA - PP
I've been seeing the same thing with more blocked seats. In 6 months, I never had a problem with snagging exit (Silver, so 0 chance of upgrade out of DCA on Thursday). In the last 3 weeks, I've had no luck, and last week I was one of 20+ people with a seat request at check-in time. Plus no exit for tomorrow's flight and seat map shows every seat unavailable. Not sure what's happening.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA, HH Silver, Priority Gold
Originally Posted by mersk862
Taking a quick look at some of my itineraries, but I'm noticing a lot more preferred seats on the seat map for upcoming flights.

Some flights don't see anything changing, but other flights (primarily ones at heavy business travel times on busy routes) have several (in one case, I think 20 rows or so!) blocked for only elites/full Y fares to select.

This is a huge step up from only having the first two non-bulkhead rows of coach (plus exit rows) being reserved for elites.

A major improvement for elites out there that book late and now have a much better chance of getting a window/aisle seat instead of getting a middle! Nice work Delta!
I noticed this about 2 weeks ago but haven't had a chance to see if it was posted here. Thanks mersk862

For those stating that they don't see any change, it appears to be on flights that have an abnormal amount of elites but also a large number of non-elite. For example, Thursday nights 10:55pm LAX-ATL all rows 11-26 are now showing as premium seats and the Monday morning 8:30 and 10:00 ATL-LAX.

I think this is a big ^^ for DL on this one.

Anyone know on the A332 if they block B, C, G as premium as it was back in the NW days?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Another poster hit a pet peeve for me....

I also wish that DL would hold back a few seats for elites who purchase last-minute tickets. Maybe 15B and 15C? Nothing cheeses me more than buying a last-minute fare after other people have cleared for an UG and winding up in a middle seat. This seems to happen most times I purchase an expensive ticket at the last minute. While I appreciate having a seat, and understand not getting the UG, I'd at least like an aisle seat!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Row Five, Row Five, Row Five!!!!
The walk of shame to row 10/11 is SOOOOO far away.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
Even the longest serving member in the US House of Reps likes row 5. He was across the aisle from me last month...on my last flight where I was able to select row 5 when I made my reservation.

I'm all about row 5. It's not first class, just half class!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.