Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Actions Speaks Louder Than Words: Did You Stop Flying Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Actions Speaks Louder Than Words: Did You Stop Flying Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Speedy Rewards Beverage Club
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Unless someone had non-transferable status or was stuck flying from a captive Delta hub, why wouldn't they change?
A lot of us are flying out of cities without a huge amount of mainline service. In DAY for example, the only "full service" airlines offering any appreciable level of mainline service are DL and AA and in both cases, only to ATL and DFW, respectively. Thus, because the primary benefit of elite status for me are UGs, it doesn't make much sense for me to blow off DL and start flying CO.

In other words, yes, I'd love to switch to CO. But I don't want to have to duck under propeller blades every time I fly to do it.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Taz
I've cut back on my flying as a whole, but seeing as how I'm based in AZO, the only other option is AA to ORD. I much prefer DTW. GRR is only about a 45 minute drive and has a few more options, but tickets prices are some of the highest in the country and parking is expensive. Since I'm down from weekly travel to 8-10 trips a year, I'm pretty much stuck with Delta for now.
I switched from DL to UA while UA still had flights into AZO. Since they've canceled AZO, I've got a guy who will drives me back and forth to GRR. If I was mostly domestic, I'd probably be back on DL, but UA is so much better on INTL, I put up with the extra 30 minutes on the drive to the airport.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:52 am

I would venture to say that the only international frequent flyers who are still on DL are ones who are based in or travel to a DL captive hub. Anyone else who does it on a regular basis would have to be dumb, stupid, ignorant, or a DL employee.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:53 am
mdb

Bailed for trips to Asia.

Waiting for 2011 to bail for europe. Don't do alot of domestic travel....

UA is my best option since they have a nice link with LH....
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: UA/DL plat to AA
Switched to UA in Feb and have 16k BIS on them since. I miss WiFi, but overall I am happy there. I still have a couple of NW SWUs to use, so I imagine I will take a couple of DL trips before August.

I still read the DL forum for a couple of reasons: 1) the same reason I used to read the US forum; 2) Always curious to see if DL will un-do some of the things that encouraged me to leave. DL has taken an approach to customer loyalty that makes as much sense as a two story outhouse, with the customers using the bottom floor. Maybe, as they hear the "whooshing" sounds of money leaving their bank account, they will re-think.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I appreciate the responses... however, I haven't really seen anyone ACTUALLY INFORM (via email, letter, etc.) Delta Skymiles about their cutback or dropping of flights with them. Besides not flying them, is anyone actually telling them?

I wonder what the reaction would be from Skymiles if you write a letter/email detailing the lost revenue due to their decisions. And I mean a genuine letter, with your SM number and actual comparison of previous DL activity to now.

Originally Posted by waltinsocal
Most likely, if people stopped flying Delta, they are no longer reading this forum, or posting here. It would interesting if you posed your question on the Boards of the other airlines , and asked who used to fly DL and switched.
I thought about that, but then there would be an issue with cross-posting... and I prefer to follow proper FT etiquette Besides, as others have mentioned, those former DL flyers probably drop by once in awhile to realize what they're missing or get a good laugh
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:05 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle, HHonors Silver, Delta Gold Medallion
Requested and received CO match to plat in December. I've gone from 100 percent NW/DL travel to 95 percent CO and 5 percent DL. My upgrade percentage hasn't suffered and my non-elite companions are being upgraded about two-thirds of the time.

Burned my last 200K SkyMiles with upcoming BE seats to Europe. I guess I should be thrilled to find two seats at the low level, but the destination, CPH, was my 25th or so choice. And if it's impossible to use my miles at the low level to fly where I want to go, especially given my complete flexibility on travel dates, I have no use for the program or the airline.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Former NW Plat. I began plotting my exit about 18 months ago, because I did not believe that "best-in-class" rhetoric for a second. Never considered the DL Amex; stashed my FlexPerks Visa from US Bank in my sock drawer. I burned about 500k WP miles on Australia and domestic awards, and 95k SkyMiles on low-tier F and Y awards I was lucky to nab before nwa.com closed. I wouldn't have a prayer of locating them via delta.com now. 1,006 SM miles left on account.

I'm now CO Gold. No revenue flying with DL since mid-'09.

Flying profile '08: 70% NW, 15% CO, 15% AS.

Flying profile '10 (projected): 60% CO/UA, 25% AS, 15% WN.

All my darkest, most pessimistic predictions about the merger, posted in the NW forum in '08-'09, have come to pass. Thanks so much to fellow FTers for the burn-baby-burn strategies; I credit FT for my clean exit. Thank goodness I got out of this debacle without leaving a big stash of now-useless SkyMiles on account. I will be done flying DL award trips in June. After that, if I ever have to set foot on DL metal again, I'll credit my new AS Mileage Plan account.

DL's FF policy has led me to totally revamp my flying strategy.

Last edited by BearX220; Mar 10, 2010 at 10:12 am
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: NW, UA
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Actions Speaks Louder Than Words
Exactly.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I appreciate the responses... however, I haven't really seen anyone ACTUALLY INFORM (via email, letter, etc.) Delta Skymiles about their cutback or dropping of flights with them. Besides not flying them, is anyone actually telling them?

I wonder what the reaction would be from Skymiles if you write a letter/email detailing the lost revenue due to their decisions. And I mean a genuine letter, with your SM number and actual comparison of previous DL activity to now.
Since I got a letter from Jeff today congratulating me on 2MM (6 months late). I actually sent him a very genuine and nice reply earlier today explaining why I don't fly DL anymore. I'll let you know if I hear back from him.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Awaiting requested comp on UA to premier executive. Once I get UA status DL will be a back-up.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: DL DM
Well, then help me out here...

I've been itching to change to something better for a long time, but can't seem to justify it.

Look at my locations (over there <----) and tell me where you would go.

Add to it that I like to do welfare stopovers (under 24hours) in transit cities when I can and would much prefer them to be at AMS or CDG than FRA or LON.

Seriously... LH 74s? CO 75s? I hate the DL 763s in back, but the 764s are coming to IST so that'll be good and KL's 77s are very solid.

I do maybe 1-2 domestic trips a year and can generally redeem at least 2 BE TATLs without much problem.

I do about one TATL/month and I'd love to find better a better option, but every time I sit down to look at it, I don't see a good alternative.

Which of your kind terms apply to me?

Originally Posted by 5khours
I would venture to say that the only international frequent flyers who are still on DL are ones who are based in or travel to a DL captive hub. Anyone else who does it on a regular basis would have to be dumb, stupid, ignorant, or a DL employee.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
I did not status match to CO. Instead, I earned PE in 2009. But I also earned enough to keep PM on DL. (Could have gone for DM, but wanted to wait and see if the benefits were worth it.

So yes, I still fly DL. But most of my premium int'l business has gone to CO. And sometime in August, I will make a decision...whether to go for DM, or go for 100,000+ on CO. CO will be offering a SWU that is good on most fares for Int'l travel. Unless DL does something to improve the PMU, and also fix the gd award calendar, my flying on DL will be decreasing every day.

And don't buy the "hub captive" bs for a minute. EVERYONE has a choice, even ATL people. You just have to decide if the sacrifice is worth it. For me, it was.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM or DM for 24 years, SkyClub: Lifetime, Delta Million Miler
I am a Delta Platinum Member (have been NW Platinum for 10 years) and I am not happy with Delta, especially on international flights. Flying a Delta 767-300ER in Business Class for 10 hours is as good as Lufthansa in Coach.

My home airport is Portland, OR. I mostly fly to China, Europe and eastern USA.

I have booked some of my international flights on other Sky Team Airlines. Going to Dubai on Aeroflot and Air Europa within Europe. I also try to book Delta tickets with flights operated by KLM.

I flew Continental quite often when they were in Sky Team and I liked the airline. I am going to wait until 2011 to jump ship if Delta wont improve.

Here is a little hint to the Delta moderators: Don't get upset about the complaining of customers. Its best you improve the Airline....
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: UA/DL plat to AA
yes, i wrote and told them. Before I did the UA challenge.

As to the poster who said "everyone has a choice," +1. Unless your corporate travel department mandates DL, you have a choice. I do ONT-SLC. DL has a non-stop, UA requires 1 stop. I still choose UA because I know that, at the end of the day, I will get greater benefits (award) and I am sending my money to a company that has, albeit recently, decided that the best way to win business is to make customers happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.