Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL asks DOT for ground-delay rule exemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

JetBlue, Delta want exemption from DOT ground-delay rule.
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...oModule_Travel

DOT to DL: No waivers / no favors.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL DM
I for one hope the DOT grants it. I have waited 2 hours to take off at JFK in summer thunderstorms. Add on the closed runway and it could easily be 3+. I'd rather just sit it out and get where I am going. Going back to the gate only ensures that it will take even longer to reach the final destination. That being said, if it becomes obvious or even likely that the crew will go illegal before there is an opportunity to depart, the flight should return to the gate.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mhbaker

Are people insane? Serve me alcohol on the plane or let me off so I can drink in the terminal. Prisoners are treated better than people trapped on planes. I don't care about crews going illegal because of time problems. Screw the airlines. Why is this not an issue in Europe? The pax do not tolerate it, and the airlines plan ahead. Not like here where the airlines want "exemptions" and "delays". Ridiculous.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:18 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Excellent ^.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Is this request a surprise coming from the airline that consistently scrapes the bottom of the barrel in D.O.T.'s quality metrics?

jetblue, delta want exemption from dot ground-delay rule.
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...omodule_travel

dot to dl: No waivers / no favors.
+1

Originally Posted by billiken
excellent ^.
+1

Originally Posted by waltinsocal
Are people insane? Serve me alcohol on the plane or let me off so I can drink in the terminal. Prisoners are treated better than people trapped on planes. I don't care about crews going illegal because of time problems. Screw the airlines. Why is this not an issue in Europe? The pax do not tolerate it, and the airlines plan ahead. Not like here where the airlines want "exemptions" and "delays". Ridiculous.
+1
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
I would expect more cancellations due to this rule.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:31 pm

Be careful of what you ask for, Continetal has stated they would rather CANCEL flights than pay the fines.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by zsmith2
I would expect more cancellations due to this rule.
If DL wants to play that game, then there will be further regulations about cancelling flights and compensation for cancelled flights. Also, the pax will go to the airlines that figure out how to get people off the tarmac in < 3 hours. Three hours is really not that onerous of a time limit.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
No waivers, no favors.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:43 pm

DL already implemented the CLX policy. If you traveled with the last two so-called Mega Storms you apparently got a taste of it. DL said they lost $65M in revenue because of the preemptive CLX.

So, if you traveled during couple storms how was it? Did you notice?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by firstmob
Be careful of what you ask for, Continetal has stated they would rather CANCEL flights than pay the fines.
Did you read my post above? This is not an issue in Europe. Every time we try to do something consumer friendly here, people say it cannot be done and flights will be cancelled. It won't happen. Every story we have read about pax bring trapped on a plane has happened here, not in Europe. Would anyone care to disagree? Flights will not be cancelled. If an airline did that, they would get killed by us and in the press.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by ADLFO
If DL wants to play that game, then there will be further regulations about cancelling flights and compensation for cancelled flights.
I highly doubt it but if so, we just traveled back 30 years ago. I don't want to start into politics but it would be a bad idea for the government to regulate us anymore.
I think the government needs to fix the way they control the air traffic. How long ago has it been since they updated the system?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
Did you read my post above? This is not an issue in Europe. Every time we try to do something consumer friendly here, people say it cannot be done and flights will be cancelled. It won't happen. Every story we have read about pax bring trapped on a plane has happened here, not in Europe. Would anyone care to disagree? Flights will not be cancelled. If an airline did that, they would get killed by us and in the press.
oh come on my left coast friend...you darn well know the DOT policy will lead to WWIII and the end of the world as we know it
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:59 pm
Used to be " vincentppetty "

Programs: DL Platinum/1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Loews Platinum; GHA/Omni Platinum; Hilton Gold
Yet another JFK mess ...

Hmmm ... DL wants a waiver? Isn't the cost of doing business at JFK dealing with JFK? DL has long known the planned construction ... why didn't they plan for that in their schedules?
I don't think a waiver is warranted
Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:01 pm

Everyone is tiptoeing around my comment about Europe. I generally agree with comments about government regulation, but if I want to be treated like a prisoner, or worse, then I will do something worthy of it. I wish those who are making excuses for the airlines here would be trapped for 6 hours. Their attitudes might change. And I can assure you, the people posting here on behalf of the airlines have not experienced the "trapping".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.