Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL asks DOT for ground-delay rule exemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL asks DOT for ground-delay rule exemption

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by waltinsocal
Did you read my post above? This is not an issue in Europe. Every time we try to do something consumer friendly here, people say it cannot be done and flights will be cancelled. It won't happen. Every story we have read about pax bring trapped on a plane has happened here, not in Europe. Would anyone care to disagree? Flights will not be cancelled. If an airline did that, they would get killed by us and in the press.
Really? It doesn't happen in Europe?

Ryanair: http://www.gadling.com/2009/12/28/ry...ve-hour-delay/
Air France: http://www.travelweekly.com/article.aspx?id=170726
Easyjet: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/tra...cle3724769.ece
BA: http://boingboing.net/2008/03/29/bri...ways-lose.html
etc.

It happens in Europe. Perhaps you don't hear about it because you don't live there and aren't monitoring European news websites. Heck, if there's an incident in a non-English speaking European country, it's even more difficult to hear about it unless you speak the native language or the flight was bound for an English-speaking country.

Weather happens. Flights get delayed. I'm with the folks who'd rather wait on the tarmac for hours and get where I need to be than never get there at all because overbearing government regulations force airlines to preemptively cancel flights. But YMMV.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Mandatory free alcohol, water and snacks for any delays of more than 2 hours, and there will be no more delays. The airlines will adjust, and so will the FAA. Right now there is no incentive to do better.. I promise that.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:29 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
Weather happens. Flights get delayed. I'm with the folks who'd rather wait on the tarmac for hours and get where I need to be than never get there at all because overbearing government regulations force airlines to preemptively cancel flights. But YMMV.
Really? Can you point to a link that shows someone never got to their destination at all, except for fatal plane crashes? I can't.

Sorry, as much as I don't like government regulation, it is obvious that the airlines can't self-police themselves on this issue. They have tried and failed. I would rather that the government step in and threat to impose large fines on the airlines. The airlines will then work to make things happen. They might cancel a flight but then that same plane can be used for a "new" flight to get passengers to their destination. I am sure the airlines will get creative when they are facing hefty fines.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
Originally Posted by mdb
I would not be so sure about that - do you have some facts to back it up. Europe is way more populated and has tons of airlines - not saying it isn't true - I am asking for proof.
If you look at the busiest airports in the world as ranked by aircraft movements (which is what causes congestion, not necessarily number of PAX), you find that 9 of the top 10 airports are located in the United States. The first European airport doesn't show up until #8 (CDG). Even if you widen it out to the top 30 busiest airports in the world, 21 of those are still in the United States. There are certainly congested corridors in Europe, but for shear volume, nothing else in the world compares to the aviation picture in the US and that includes a robust General Aviation industry that isn't matched by anything close in the rest of the world.

Busiest Aircraft Traffic Rankings
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by fti
Really? Can you point to a link that shows someone never got to their destination at all, except for fatal plane crashes? I can't.

Sorry, as much as I don't like government regulation, it is obvious that the airlines can't self-police themselves on this issue. They have tried and failed. I would rather that the government step in and threat to impose large fines on the airlines. The airlines will then work to make things happen. They might cancel a flight but then that same plane can be used for a "new" flight to get passengers to their destination. I am sure the airlines will get creative when they are facing hefty fines.
Yeah - when you're taking a one- or two-day trip for an important event like a business meeting, wedding or funeral or even a short weekend vacation and your flight gets canceled because the airline is unwilling to risk getting fined, your trip is in vain. If there are no flights available later that day, you might as well not take the trip at all, since you will have no time at your destination even if you got there.

Airlines can self-police themselves on this issue. Extended delays are already few and far between. But weather and mechanicals still happen - it's inevitable. In my view, the only regulation necessary is one that would require passengers be made aware of the possibility of a forseeable long delay at the gate and those who don't want to wait it out on the plane given an opportunity to rebook or cancel. It's more logical than penalizing those who need to be somewhere by levying excessive fines and forcing airlines to cancel those flights. Sometimes, you need to get where you need to go. The new rule illogically hurts those people.

Rescheduling flights is not as simple as putting passengers on the same airplane. There are many other issues. For example, both the airplane and the crew are likely scheduled to be somewhere else the next day. So you're now severely delaying one flight AND canceling or severely delaying another, inconveniencing double the number of passengers than if they tried to get the plane off the ground.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:42 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airlines can self-police themselves on this issue.
That has been tried already - and it doesn't work! Think of NW at DTW several years ago, NW/DL in RST recently, and several others that I know of but can't think of specifically right now.

Extended delays are already few and far between.
Well, it depends on one's definition of "few and far between." 1,173 flights delayed longer than 3 hours last year is not my definition of few and far between.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/jetcheck/archives/197243.asp

In my view, the only regulation necessary is one that would require passengers be made aware of the possibility of a forseeable long delay at the gate and those who don't want to wait it out on the plane given an opportunity to rebook or cancel.
Unfortunately sometimes it is not always known before push-back that there will be such a delay.

Yes, it might mean that some trips become trips-in-vain. But the airlines are the only ones to blame for this predicament.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by fti
That has been tried already - and it doesn't work! Think of NW at DTW several years ago, NW/DL in RST recently, and several others that I know of but can't think of specifically right now.
That you can only think of one example off the top of your head proves my point - these incidents are extremely rare, and usually weather-related, due to things like heavy thunderstorms at MSP and RST (plus a lack of common sense by CO and NW), a freak icestorm predicted to be less severe than it turned out to be at JFK (the B6 incident) or a blizzard at DTW (the NW incident).

Well, it depends on one's definition of "few and far between." 1,173 flights delayed longer than 3 hours last year is not my definition of few and far between.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/jetcheck/archives/197243.asp
Yes, it is. According to the National Air Traffic Controllers Association, there are an average of 28,537 commercial flights (mainline and regional) a day. That's about 10,000,000 flights per year. So you're talking about significant delays on just 0.01% of all commercial flights, or one out of every 8,500 flights (1 in 7,143 flights, according to the Air Transport Association in your linked article). Either way, if you fly once this year, you're more likely to injure yourself shaving (1 in 6,585), die in a car accident (1 in 6,500), or get a hole-in-one (1 in 5000) this year than be on a plane that is delayed on the tarmac for 3 or more hours. Like I said, few and far between. People tend to overestimate the likelihood of low-probability events. Yet because of the risk of fines, airlines will preemptively cancel more than just those 1,173 flights per year now, inconveniencing many more. Thanks for the dumb rule!

Unfortunately sometimes it is not always known before push-back that there will be such a delay.
No, it isn't - but often it is. Most of these long delays are due to bad weather, usually at the departure airport, sometimes at the arrival airport. Weather can be predicted. Deicing issues can be predicted. Congestion can usually be predicted. Maintenance issues may or may not be able to be predicted before boarding.

Yes, it might mean that some trips become trips-in-vain. But the airlines are the only ones to blame for this predicament.
Mother Nature and the government's dumb rule is more to blame for this predicament than the airlines.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:33 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fti
Think of NW at DTW several years ago, NW/DL in RST recently, and several others that I know of but can't think of specifically right now.
That you can only think of one example off the top of your head proves my point

No need to debate with someone who can't count

And if the 3+ hour delays are indeed "few and far between", you proved my point - they inconvenience very few pax and there is no reason to hold pax hostage on planes for that long. Thank you very much lol. Once the airlines realize that canceling "more than just those 1,173 flights per year" costs them money, they will find a way to work with the system. Oh, no they won't. It is *airlines* we are talking about here. They have a broken business model and rarely if ever make a profit anyway.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:50 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
PB, man to man, I think you are hot. But, even though I agree with 99% of your posts, cannot the airlines do better?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by RobertS975
I, for one, hopes that DL gets the exemption.
Have you ever been stuck on a tarmac for five hours or more?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Down3Green
If you look at the busiest airports in the world as ranked by aircraft movements (which is what causes congestion, not necessarily number of PAX), you find that 9 of the top 10 airports are located in the United States. The first European airport doesn't show up until #8 (CDG). Even if you widen it out to the top 30 busiest airports in the world, 21 of those are still in the United States. There are certainly congested corridors in Europe, but for shear volume, nothing else in the world compares to the aviation picture in the US and that includes a robust General Aviation industry that isn't matched by anything close in the rest of the world.

Busiest Aircraft Traffic Rankings
Thanks for answering the question for me. I would also note that all 3 of the NYC airports make the list, and combine for roughly 1.2m aircraft movements. This is the prime trouble spot and, AFAIK, the only city in Europe that rivals it for traffic is London. The combined traffic of EWR, JFK, and LGA is roughly 60% higher than CDG + ORY. And neither Paris nor London see the kind of winter weather that can causes a lot of the problems in NYC. And, everyone complains about delays at CDG and LHR. IIRC, the on-time performance at LHR is usually in the 65%-70% range, which is about what the NYC airports manage.

There are certainly some very efficient airports in Europe, but there are some very efficient airports in the US. Someone mentioned Stockholm. Well, the appropriate comparison for Stockholm isn't NYC. Compare it to some place like SEA and the US airports don't look so bad. Heck, don't the Hawaiian airports have on-time performance in the 90% range?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:40 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Delta and JetBlue should NOT be granted the exemption. They've known about the capacity reduction at JFK for some time. They're big companies with good planning staffs. They should simply adjust their schedules to meet the available capacity. If more airlines want to use JFK than it has capacity to support, then the owners of JFK should institute limits on operations, and go back to slot control. Let the market efficiently allocate available capacity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.