Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ethernal
Not sure I understand the hate about the pillars. What's the objection to them? People will still crowd the gate. At least with the pillars it's easier to board with your zone. Flying out of Atlanta during peak hours usually means about 75-100 people with SkyPriority, so at least the pillars mean that it's a little easier to board in PREM without having to push through a crowd. If anything people that hate gate lice should love it - it means they can sit down until the PREM (or SKY) is almost empty and then just walk through it - as opposed to trying to parade through a bunch of SKY people when PREM is almost done boarding.
There will be pillar lovers and pillar haters. I happen to fall into the hatred camp. The picture posted in this thread of the gate cluster in STL A6 is all I ever see at pillar gates. While it was by no means pretty before, it was not what I see now (speaking for my opinion only). At a pillar gate nobody can easily approach the GA desk as the pillar lines all obscure and block it. That alone screams poor customer service to me. I rarely need a GA, but I see many people on every flight who have a need to approach the desk.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
As with the previous poster, I'm sure there will be some who love the gates vs. those who hate them. I'm not a fan of them.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
BWI the other night waiting on the CR9 to RDU. The plane hadn't even finished unloading yet and this was the lineup. One man clogged up the SP line despite not being SP and then loudly claimed the reason he didn't fly Delta was because they asked him to move from the line?

Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The Onion covering gate lice, Delta gate in the picture

https://local.theonion.com/man-prowl...ngl-1819578761
hortkie, altabello and defrosted like this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:57 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Gate lice out in force today at BWI...

ATL flight, almost complete thrombosis:

DTW flight. Mind you, people are still deplaning from the inbound.

EDIT: GA just announced "boarding has not started yet, please leave the exit free"
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts

Delta's gate at ORD to be exact.

...after the gate agent announced that passengers in the first zone could begin to board, Smith reportedly pulled his ticket from his pocket with lightning-quick reflexes and charged forward to the front of the queue in a manner identical to that of a leopard bounding after a spooked warthog.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts

Amusing article, notwithstanding the fact that the picture is not of SFO and there is no Delta gate 33 at SFO.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
My last few flights on Delta, people were remarkably civilized. Yes, there were some congregating when preboards were announced but they were loosely assembled. I was able to get on easily when Prem was announced without having to fight my way through a sea of clueless passengers. Hope this is trend instead of just a few coincidentally good flights.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:52 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by lbcnu
Amusing article, notwithstanding the fact that the picture is not of SFO and there is no Delta gate 33 at SFO.
You should report the author to the meme police
BadgerBoi, emrdoc and jinglish like this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

DTW on Christmas Day, boarding for DTW-AMS.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by CMK10

DTW on Christmas Day, boarding for DTW-AMS.
Readily admitting I can’t really tell from the picture, it looks to me like there are nowhere near enough chairs for all those people. I see that sort of thing more and more...not enough chairs, chairs taken up with paraphernalia, bags and feet in the aisles. Ugh. Why bother? May as well stand. Hopefully not in the way.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by dalehill

Readily admitting I can’t really tell from the picture, it looks to me like there are nowhere near enough chairs for all those people. I see that sort of thing more and more...not enough chairs, chairs taken up with paraphernalia, bags and feet in the aisles. Ugh. Why bother? May as well stand. Hopefully not in the way.
Not to mention that I'd rather stand since I'm going to be sitting for the next 8 hours.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by dalehill

Actually if you look to the left of the frame you can see empty seats. Furthermore, A52 didn't have a flight so there were two gate areas worth of seats for people. Instead I had to push through this throng to board when Delta One was called
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by ACCDraw
Just finished LAX based trip.
The posts have arrived.
Post - Premium
Post - Priority Sky
Post - Zone 1
Posts - Zone et al
Coming from an AA world where we have only two lanes, I liked the pillars flying on DL for the first time in years because AA suffers from the priority lane backing up with credit card holders, who are sometimes aggressive in their line camping to the point where I had to push through in my own zone. My favorite: "Um, they're only boarding first." Me with seat 2C: "I know."

DL Translation: "Zone 1 gate lice were preventing Premium and Sky Priority from boarding."
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Gig103
My favorite: "Um, they're only boarding first." Me with seat 2C: "I know."
Must have been my past encounter's relative.

Relative: They just said they're boarding ROW 1. Why are you trying to go around me?
Me [flashing BP]: Because I DO have Row 1
Relative: Oh.
Me [unspoken]: idiot
Gig103 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.